What does your kitchen consist of...?

I have slowly been refining my Kitchen/cooking setup. Right now it is fairly well sorted:

Whynter 45 Refrigerator
Water provided from onboard water tank on Van / Trailer as appropriate
Stoves are a pair of the single-burner butane stoves available everywhere for <$20 (Best price on fuel I've found is Ranch99 for ~$1 a can)
Backup stove is an old Coleman 3-burner white gas, but it has been relegated to backup/BIG party camping
All the pots/pans/plates/etc fit in one FrontRunner flatpack box (This includes plates/cups/bowls for 2, silverware, small pot two frying pans, and coffee/water pot)
A pair of nesting water basins and cleaning supplies fit into a FrontRunner Wolfpack box
Dry foods and spices, etc generally go into a Mountainsmith soft-sided storage cube.

Well. My camper has a full blown kitchen, but I typically real out my cadac safari grill and my alps engineering table, along with a 5 gallon jug of water, and cook from that. . I may use the stove in the camper on my next trip out to make my coffee...
I forgot to mention, I also have some collapsible bowls from front runner, and a front running soft pack, along with my arb fridge.

We have used a cast iron skillet. and either plastic or cheap stainless kitchen ware along with paper plates for years...just recently I took the plunge and bout some actual camping style cookware/utensils from GSI. Quick review of what I got from them here...

http://americanadventurist.com/Forum/showthread.php?1835-GSI-camp-kitchen-products

To date we have been very happy with the quality of the GSI products...I've even used the whisk to make eggs, but only because I have one now! One note, as someone mentioned in that thread, it is VERY easy for someone to throw away the GSI forks/knives/spoons, as they resemble heavy duty disposable stuff (the GSI stuff is more heavy duty/different material). I'm missing at least one fork already.

Campstove(s) are all Coleman propane units. I'm about to give up on the Coleman stove and drop some coin on a better quality unit. I don't have an issue with the Coleman stove itself, it's the piece of crap regulators that come with them that I seem to have a problem with.

Funny I actually do have one of those courtesy of my friends at Dirt Road Trip; even used it at AR last fall.

It appears you'll be fine without the snowpeak stuff. Not knocking them, just don't have any at this time.

- I have a coleman 3 burner stove,
- percolator for larger groups, kelly kettle and igloo french press in case only two are drinking coffee
- cast iron skillet and dutch oven
- various and sundry mess kits, stainless plates
- various and sundry utensils varying from 1 titanium spork, to plastic sporks, to mil surplus utensils
- stainless serving spoon, spatula, and fork
- horrible, yet functional chefs knife
- water brick and a hand pump for a 5 gallon jug
- cooking items are stored in some mil surplus pelican cases
- dry food in mil surplus hardigg case
- two metal banded coleman coolers, one with dry ice, one with wet ice for the perishables.

1219161841.jpg
Well.... I've been flirting with the idea of going back to my old love... A 3 burner partner steel stove... Santa came early....

Last edited:
I try to keep it pretty simple:

Pelican 1550 Case - this doubles as a wash basin
Kelty Cache box - this holds the cooking utensils, utility & paring knives, fire bag, pot holder, hot pads, and miscellany
Collapsable kettle
2 enamelware mugs
A few spice jars, salt n pepper, hot sauce
2 roasting forks
6" Chef's knife
7 pc Magma cookset - 4 lexan bowls nest inside this
4 Lexan plates
Stove regulator
2 thin cutting boards

Camp Chef Everest - getting a Blue Ridge Overland Gear case for this very soon.
10lb LP tank mounted to a spare tire cargo rack on the JKU
Folding plastic table

IMG_0601.JPG
IMG_1346.JPG
IMG_4930.JPG
IMG_0084.JPG
IMG_1325.JPG
IMG_0043.JPG
IMG_0258.JPG
IMG_1281.JPG
Since getting my FWC Hawk I've felt rather spoiled as it takes only a few minutes to pop the top of the camper, turn on the pump and lift the cover over the two burner stove. Open my Engel 45...The delight of cooking while standing in the galley while it's cold and rainy outside.....but if the weather is pleasant and there's a fire ring available, I'll always utilize it above cooking in the Hawk.
For my backup stove I carry in the trailer I use my 2- burner Partner Steel propane stove.
In my backpack I carry the MSR Dragonfly multi fuel stove (comes with adjustable throttle).
For cooking I use the MSR Base 2 pot set.
Two Snowpeak Titanium cups.
Lodge cast iron skillet w/ glass lid.
Two tier small bamboo steamer.
Small colander, Stove Toaster.
Two MSR Deep dish bowls/plates.
Tongs, spatula, cutting board...
For campfire cooking I use a $14 Wally World Rectangle griddle.
Lodge #12 Dutch Oven with legs and Camp Maid accessories.
I like pancakes....

I am kinda sorta going to be in the market for a camp kitchen box. Finally going to replace my giant pile-O-stuff Action Packer and be slightly more civilized. Only thing is it must be able to fit under the hard cover of the XVenture trailer. I have seen a few at Expo but failed to measure the height.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was just posted elsewhere:

This might have already been posted in this thread, but I believe it's worth posting again.
REI offered pretty detailed plans and a write up on building a nick chuck box.

Here is the plans PDF
http://blog.rei.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Blog-Camp-Kitchen-Cut-Sheet.pdf

Here is a nice write up of a build
http://blog.rei.com/camp/how-to-build-your-own-camp-kitchen-chuck-box/

It has been noted, that most of the big box hardware stores offer cutting services for about $.50/cut.
I think I'm going to build one as a Christmas present to myself.

Santa Bob got me a new stove for Christmas. The Cadac
20170103_093923.jpg
20170103_093910.jpg
Safari Chef. Haven't had a chance to use it yet, but Kelly and I are heading get out to The Grand Canyon next week. So there will be a review on it after that.
20170103_094136.jpg
20170103_094004.jpg
20170103_093955.jpg

Good piece of gear... I think you'll enjoy its flexibility although a little wanting for the BTU's. Still a good unit - I really like mine!

Ok here it goes....
Engel 45 fridge, Partner Steel 3 burner stove. Partner steel aluminum griddle, GSI fry pan, coffee percolator and handpresso. This is (was) my usual setup. Until I added a Snow peak titanium spork and a couple of plates then everything changed.

Last March I attended my first group camping (overlanding) trip to the 2013 Desert Rendzevous and met this guy named Dave aka TACODOC, some of you may know him? He's kind of a big deal around here. His flip-pac contains many leather bound books and smells of rich mahogany. He's friends with Merlin Olsen, you know? ....anyhow, I digress. Mr. Dave welcomed me to the camp and introduced me to the Rendzevous Conspiracy gang and something called an IGT? I thought it was the coolest thing since the one handed fire starter.

Fast forward to OEX 2013. I once again camped out with the notorious Rendzevous Conspiracy gang now known as American Adventurists. Again this IGT thingy just happened to tag along, too. Mr. Dave and the Snow Peak mafia put on a mixer during the festivities and my fate as a Snow Peak junkie was sealed. Fast forward to the present.

My aforementioned kitchen setup is now complimented by a full blown Snow Peak ensemble that I cobbled together mostly from the ExPo want ads and the few vendors that deal Snow Peak.....

3 unit IGT with table extension, two full length slide tables and right hand corner.
Single BBQ BOX.
Baja Burner.
LI stove/hot air balloon engine.
Pot and pan set.
mini cast iron duo set.
Cutting board / knife insert, bamboo and stainless inserts
height adjuster kit with 660 legs
paper towel holder and trash bin
IGT hanging shelf
S.P. torch
Trash bin
S.P chair and 2 my tables

being limited on space (wrangler LJ) I had to invent a system to strap it all together ( some of you may have seen it on the "other" forum) and the rest fits into 2 small action packers. I use this at home and for work functions as well.
Sorry for the run away post and thanks, Dave for kick starting my addiction!! Lol

View attachment 5454View attachment 5455View attachment 5456View attachment 5458View attachment 5457

(03 January 2017)
I FIGURED it was time for an update... I recently reintroduced another 3 burner Partner Steel stove to the fold.
  • 3 unit IGT with table extension, two full length slide tables and right hand corner
  • Single BBQ BOX.x2
  • Baja Burner.
  • LI stove/hot air balloon engine.
  • Pot and pan set.
  • mini cast iron duo set.
  • Cutting board / knife insert, bamboo and stainless inserts x2
  • height adjuster kit with 660 legs
  • paper towel holder and trash bin
  • IGT hanging shelf
  • S.P. Giga torch
  • Trash bin.
  • SP chair and 2 my tables
  • Medium fire pit with cooking grate
  • Coffee percolator
  • SP classic kettle
  • Handpresso
  • Porlex ceramic burr grinder
  • National Luna 50 Weekender fridge/freezer (stainless steel)
  • Eezi Awn SS folding table, matches fridge.
  • SP half unit SS storage boxes x2
  • Partner Steel aluminum griddle
  • Alu Box for storing food and cooking related accoutrements.
View attachment 26576 View attachment 26577

UPDATED. I'm sure I forgot something.....

Santa Bob got me a new stove for Christmas. The CadacView attachment 26574 View attachment 26575 Safari Chef. Haven't had a chance to use it yet, but Kelly and I are heading get out to The Grand Canyon next week. So there will be a review on it after that.

We got a Cadac a couple of years ago after seeing @TangoBlue's grill. We couldn't be happier with it, packs up compact, offers a wide range of cooking options and is a decent price. It's a great piece of gear.

Back
Top Bottom