What Camp Chair is your favorite and why?

Brett C

Adventurist
Senior Staff
I understand that everyone's needs and wants are different.

I expect that in a piece of equipment as important and intimate to our bum as a camp chair that much trial and error of equipment before settling on what you find as the suitable model. I have always just purchased one of those Bass Pro $19.99 specials and that style chair has been "Okay" but this year id like to do one better and get a nice camp chair for myself. So I would like to hear input from you all on what you think is your perfect camp chair.

I would like to hear what camp chair you have, what you like and don't like about it and why, if possible. Hopefully we can make this a comprehensive thread that everyone will want to read prior to shopping for their next camp chair.

...and go!

Our daughter was a competitive swimmer, which meant we sat around for several hours straight, three days a week, all summer waiting for her to swim a total of about 3 minutes at each event... We had some of the $10 bag chairs, which are fine for short periods, but terrible for my aching lower back, so we bought some chairs another family had.

They are Tommy Bahama branded bag chairs that we got a BJ's Warehouse (Like Sam's Club or Costco.) They have a better defined lower back section rather than the typical sling, and the back can recline. I use it as upright as possible. I can't even find photos of them now, but they look pretty much like this:
51RLi80nwiL.jpg

Great for long periods of sitting on my ass, but huge to store. So we strapped the bags to the roof rack. The problem with that, is after a few trips traveling cross-country, the bags web shredded by the wind, and invariably, it would rain and soak them just before we wanted to use them...

So, last year, we broke down and spent the big bucks for a pair of Helinox Sunset chairs. We chose those because they are taller (higher off the ground) than the other Helinox models or all other similar designs (at least at the time. There may be more knock-offs now), and have a higher back with head rest. They are pretty comfortable for long stretches, although not as comfortable as the above chairs. We got them from one of the mail order places on a 30% off sale, but they are still too pricy for what they are. No regrets, though.

1085_032734_img600.png

We still take the big chairs if we're going to a campground for the weekend with friends or groups, just because we usually have more room in the truck, and because we tend to sit around more on those occasions.

Last edited:
Tough one.

I have several. The OzTent King Kakadu is NICE. It’s a big boy chair. But it’s heavy, takes up space even when folded. And it’s a sponge if there’s dew or rain.

Snow Peak makes some nice ones. Light, fold up small. But they’re expensive.

Honestly I’m still seeking the perfect camp chairs...

I've been through 2 front runner chairs (both broke if different ways), I have a helinox that I like (sometimes)... it's a bit low to the ground and not great for spending significant time sitting in. After trying a bunch of friends chairs, I purchased an ARB. It's large, it's kinda heavy and it's super comfortable and seems bomb-proof. Detachable drink tray on one side, pockets on the other. It's worth the space it will take up inside. FWIW, I'm 6'2" and 240lb.

http://store.arbusa.com/ARB-SPORT-CAMPING-CHAIR-10500101A-P22560.aspx

EDIT: Forgot to mention I did the vanity play and got the special edition chair to match my shocks. ;)

https://www.cjponyparts.com/arb-camping-chair-with-bp-51-old-man-emu-logo/p/10500121A/

I use these..

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/director-s-chair/prod21022260.ip

They fold up and carry easy, not real light (10 lbs) I easily weight 20 pounds over the stated 250 capacity, I am rough on them, use them often and haven't broke one in 5 years. I like them because they do not hurt my legs to sit in for however long I feel like, and they have the built in beer/food table. oh.. they are cheap. I bought my Mom and Dad these chairs because they do not hurt her back and she loves them.

I use them at the pool, cookouts, camp outs, softball games, lacrosse games, and always have them in the truck.

We’ve got some made by MacCabee that fold similarly to the bag chairs but have side rails that keep the seat flat. Pretty much these but in blue:
B9922D14-5482-43B5-BA56-7F1A41D1F82E.jpeg

They’re no longer made and we’ve had ours for going on 30 years. I’m not sure what we’ll do when the finally fail as I can’t sit in the bag chairs for more than 20 minutes before they start cutting off circulation.

We also usually have a Kelty Low Loveseat with us as well. It’s comfortable and gets you a little closer to the fire. The lowness of it keep the leading edge from cutting into the back of your legs. Just be careful bandaid girls don’t invite themselves to sit next to you.

1BB49169-F3E1-4FD7-B9E4-F22AFB275CBA.jpeg

An Alite Mayfly that I keep in a pannier on the motorcycle. Not the easiest thing to get in and out of but you can't beat it's compactness. And I don't know where they are getting those dimensions from. Perhaps the box it ships in. Packed they're roughly 12" x 3" x 5".

An ALPS Mountaineering King Kong Chair in the truck along with a Coleman quad chair that I've had since 1990. It's very close to the construction of this Coleman chair minus the seat drain and having plastic reinforcements on the leg cross rivets.

Last edited:
We've been using the same Pico chairs for nearly a decade. Stores small, approximately 2.5"x14"x17", super comfortable and as the storage bag acts as a tote you can stuff all sorts of stuff right at hand. Keep "em clean and give them a little lubricant from time to time and they work great. They're not so good on a beach though...damn gritty sand.

temporary.jpg

IMG_4159.JPG

New to us are the Moon Lence ultralight chairs which are basically rip offs of the Helionex 1. Sort of had my doubts at first but they are quick to set up, store in a bag the size of a tissue box and are extremely comfortable. I love their compactness, comfort they offer and that I can fit them in one of the rigs, kayak or backpack easily. Good slouching chairs for reading or hanging your toes by the fire. I wouldn't recommend them for the jittery or drunken crowd though, they will throw you if you can't keep a fair COG.

IMG_6400.JPG

Loved my ARB chair...now not so much as the slides to open/close the chair have become a sticky PITA despite trying oil, silicone, etc to get them to slide up/down easier. The rubber grommets at the front of the chair are pretty much toast too. I will add that mine was a first gen chair when these first came out. The search continues.

I don't care how big and bulky they are, our first generation "zero gravity" recliners from Costco have served us well for over 15 years.

$5 folding chair w/ $3 umbrella attached. Works fine, held up for a few years and recently added a couple more. The umbrella stows away when not used and is fantastic for sunny days where a larger canopy is unavailable. Sat in a OzTent chair and really liked it, but I am getting a lot of mileage out of these.

Beautiful Chair! Did you design this or work off a plan. I’d like to build a similar one.

Thanks

Justin
I just copied some that I saw but changed the geometry to fit my body. They do sit a bit low to the ground which I don't mind but some people have a difficult time getting up from them. I made templates and have made several copies and given them away or sold them for about $50 each.

Honestly I’m still seeking the perfect camp chairs...

Ditto. Aside from the usual triangle of "Comfortable, Packs Small, Cheap (pick two)", there's the secondary problem of having mixed purposes. I really like having a decent upright chair for eating at a camp table. Some people do the "lap meal" when camping, but I really like putting out a spread and having the family at the table together. (Also key for being able to play cards, etc.) On the other hand, though, it's nice to have a lower, more reclined chair for reading and lounging. The ideal reading/lounging chair makes for a terrible "sit at the table" chair, and vice-versa.

Really hard to justify bringing like 4-5 chairs for 3 people, though.

Ditto. Aside from the usual triangle of "Comfortable, Packs Small, Cheap (pick two)", there's the secondary problem of having mixed purposes. I really like having a decent upright chair for eating at a camp table. Some people do the "lap meal" when camping, but I really like putting out a spread and having the family at the table together. (Also key for being able to play cards, etc.) On the other hand, though, it's nice to have a lower, more reclined chair for reading and lounging. The ideal reading/lounging chair makes for a terrible "sit at the table" chair, and vice-versa.

Really hard to justify bringing like 4-5 chairs for 3 people, though.

Perhaps something like a blind chair with adjustable height.

download.png
download (1).png

Back
Top Bottom