What Camp Chair is your favorite and why?

Yes, VINTAGE.

car-how-lawn-chairs.jpg
Omg donyou remember the tri-fold chase lounge of the one on the left!? That’s what I want now!!

LOL... in 1980's USMC infantry units all our gear was Vietnam era except the A2's... We were happy about that too since some of our trash was more like WWII era... I "loved" my canvas shelter half with wooden poles... absolutely loved it :)
Sorry about the hijack... back to regular programming...
I deployed after 9/11 with M-60s in my unit. Don’t gotta tell me. I was just funnin.

I used to swear by my ARB chairs, but recently swapped to an REI lightweight chair. Not cheap, but very light, very compact, and surprisingly comfy. I can carry 3 of these for less than the volume of one ARB chair. It is also big dude safe(300lb weight rating).

https://www.rei.com/product/114354/rei-co-op-flexlite-macro-chair

PSA: This chair (link above is good) is half price $49 this weekend at REI stores and online. I checked it out and it is very nice, sturdy and folds up super compact. Decided to pick one up to always keep in the jeep. I'll likely stick with the ARB chair for base-camping, but couldn't pass it up at this price.

They also added an option of a seat cover (under cover, actually) for cold weather use. Clever idea.
https://www.rei.com/product/136211/rei-co-op-flexlite-macro-chair-underquilt

$5 folding chair w/ $3 umbrella attached. Works fine, held up for a few years and recently added a couple more. The umbrella stows away when not used and is fantastic for sunny days where a larger canopy is unavailable. Sat in a OzTent chair and really liked it, but I am getting a lot of mileage out of these.
Update: After about 5 years, this chair was coming apart. Replaced with the $15 version. Frame seems sturdier and now I have 2 cup holders.

PSA: This chair (link above is good) is half price $49 this weekend at REI stores and online. I checked it out and it is very nice, sturdy and folds up super compact. Decided to pick one up to always keep in the jeep. I'll likely stick with the ARB chair for base-camping, but couldn't pass it up at this price.

They also added an option of a seat cover (under cover, actually) for cold weather use. Clever idea.
https://www.rei.com/product/136211/rei-co-op-flexlite-macro-chair-underquilt

Thanks for the info. That’s a great price on them, and the underquilt would be awesome.

Waking the dead!

My new cat’s meow.

Previously in this thread I’d stated that I really liked my GCI beach chair. Over the years it hasn’t held up. Rivets breaking was the main issue. I replaced the chairs last summer under warranty with new same models and added one for my daughter. One of the new one came from GCI with bad rivets. WTF?!

Switching to a SUV from a long bed 1st gen Taco really surprised me how much less room I have for gear.

I had seen in the past Helinox chairs and they just didn’t look or feel like they would be comfortable. But with disappointing quality of the GCI I took a leap of faith and bought the Helinox Beach Chair.

I set both the GCI and Helinox up side by side in the living room for about two weeks to get a good comparison. I even placed them near the fireplace to simulate a campfire.

Surprisingly both have a similar seating position but the Helinox has better back support and much more comfortable to me.

Packed up the Helinox is 3.3 lbs and the size and volume of about two Nalgene bottles end the end.

The GCI is substantially bigger in volume and comes is at 9.9 lbs or 3 times the weight of the Helinox.

Stacey likes the Helinox so much one is on order for her. We have a trip to DV coming, the extra space and weight reduction will be welcomed.
A0F0F479-8E67-486F-8C22-D9818ABBCD2F.jpeg
A0F0F479-8E67-486F-8C22-D9818ABBCD2F.jpeg
1639461F-ABB8-46BF-BA13-8FECBE0A56F3.jpeg
D05565DA-8808-4483-98D7-35D5CFB8EF79.jpeg
3A6C4732-A674-4745-B50E-E2FAF93008D7.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom