What are the essential skills?

dr1665

Adventurist
Let's try something a little different, shall we?

I was thinking about this while stuck in traffic yesterday.

What are the essential, must-have skills that give the best chance of successful adventures—irrespective of mode of travel?

We see so many skills out there, ya know? Building vehicles, navigation, gear selection, cooking, etc., etc.. And let's not forget research, planning, logistics and the important support skills behind every successful adventure!

I'm still getting my feet wet in this business of exploring. My inner gearhead—the one that's spent much of the last 15 years playing race car—wants to dive into automotive performance theory, but how much of that matters to a thru-hiker, for example?

What skills give the best mileage, as it were?

PS: This is for an article on AdventuristLife.com. If you've got a good picture of what you're talking about and a link to your own site, there's a good chance they'll make the feature. ;)

Thanks.

:campfireHow to start a fire.

I've started a fire before using raw materials found in my back yard just to see if I could do it. I took some Yucca plant fronds, tore them into narrow strips length wise, braided them together to form a rope of sorts. Then I found some sticks that met my needs, used one of them along with the braided rope to make a bow, notched another stick for the base, gathered some tinder around it, used a rock as the upper bearing and the straightest stick I could find for the spinner stick (technical term). A little trial and error and I had a fire within 10 minutes of gathering my materials.:campfire

Geezer question...does the compass on a smart phone work if there is no cell service? Guessing that it's GPS based.

Trip planning. Knowing what you need, and what you don't, to meet your goal.

Time
Distance
Logistics
Gear
Weather
Terrain
Hazards

Trip planning is a fine art.

Good stuff, guys! Thanks!

Did you guys seek out specific training in these areas or go the self -taught route?

I've had a good amount of training in the military.

That said, it wasn't enough. If you're really passionate about a subject, first aid or navigation or whatever, you never stop studying it or learning.

As a life long learner, I pride myself on being self taught on a variety of subjects. I'm a pretty decent shade tree mechanic purely because it's something I wanted to learn. I don't think that you always need a "course" or "experts" to teach you, if you're passionate on a topic just get your hands dirty and keep at it.

And, one can never read too many books :study

Travel implies you are going somewhere, so navigation has to be near the top of the list. First Aid to take care of what happens as a result of the other skills you missed.

And math. Remember those word problems from elementary school? You need to be able to work out things like gallons-per-person-per-day, time-distance calcs, fuel consumption, how far can I get before sunset, how much beer will fit in the fridge and still leave room for bacon, how much pierced steel planking do I need to make my truck look "expeditionary", etc ....

The military was great training for all of those, but you have to keep learning. Wilderness First Aid course every 2-3 years, GPS classes etc .... When I learned to navigate it was map, compass, even sextant. But nobody ever showed me how to use a GPS. I use it all the time now, but still feel like I am only using 10% of what it will do.

Oh, and the pan flute. you must be able to play the pan flute.

“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”

― Robert A. Heinlein

The list goes on, doesn't it? Where's the "taking notes" emoji?

Basic wilderness first aid. Fits any mode of travel and any location world wide!
I would agree. And yet, I wonder how many of us have sufficient training/experience to be of use when it counts?

While you don't necessarily need to be an expert at orienteering, you really need to understand the fundamentals of map and compass - true vs magnetic north, magnetic declination, understanding basic map symbols, etc.
Aside from being a very legitimate skill, there's something quietly satisfying about being able to use a map and compass correctly. Definitely on this adventurist's list of things to try. Suffice to say, I'm still fully in the cached Google maps on a cell phone crowd.
:campfire
Geezer question...does the compass on a smart phone work if there is no cell service? Guessing that it's GPS based.
Go you, dude. I've tried a number of different ways over the years, but have never been able to make it happen any more ruggedly than flint and steel. I'd love to be confident in knowing I can start a fire with the spinner/friction method. Something to practice this summer for sure.

And yes, because GPS on a smart phone uses satellites, it can still give you a position as far as I know. The problem comes in being overedge on the map without a data signal to download. A nice tip (hinted above) for those who didn't know, if you have an Android, you can add decent sized sections of Google Maps to your "Offline Areas" folder. I've used it to find where the PCT crosses a rally stage in the middle of the night and, more recently, to ensure I could find my way out of the jungle in Kauai. It's pretty convenient if you suspect you're going somewhere the data will be sketch.

Trip planning. Knowing what you need, and what you don't, to meet your goal.

Time
Distance
Logistics
Gear
Weather
Terrain
Hazards

Trip planning is a fine art.
I wholeheartedly agree. Proper planning prevents piss poor performance. How would you classify knowing what you don't know in this mix? Would you plan an adventure that intentionally put you in a position where you didn't know your next move? Training and prep make a big difference when unexpected and new challenges arrive, but it's not possible to prepare for every contingency... or is it? Maybe something like adaptability?

I've had a good amount of training in the military.

That said, it wasn't enough. If you're really passionate about a subject, first aid or navigation or whatever, you never stop studying it or learning.

As a life long learner, I pride myself on being self taught on a variety of subjects. I'm a pretty decent shade tree mechanic purely because it's something I wanted to learn. I don't think that you always need a "course" or "experts" to teach you, if you're passionate on a topic just get your hands dirty and keep at it.

And, one can never read too many books :study
Preach it. Necessity is the mother of invention. I'm a self-taught mechanic because it was pointed out to me by several forum members that, for the $1000 the dealership wanted to replace my head gasket, I could replace the head gasket myself and have a 0-mile bottom end with forged pistons and rods. I've never taken a single class on publishing, but I've built entire magazines from scratch.

Simply put, you cannot stop someone from learning about something he truly wants to learn.

Travel implies you are going somewhere, so navigation has to be near the top of the list. First Aid to take care of what happens as a result of the other skills you missed.

And math. Remember those word problems from elementary school? You need to be able to work out things like gallons-per-person-per-day, time-distance calcs, fuel consumption, how far can I get before sunset, how much beer will fit in the fridge and still leave room for bacon, how much pierced steel planking do I need to make my truck look "expeditionary", etc ....

The military was great training for all of those, but you have to keep learning. Wilderness First Aid course every 2-3 years, GPS classes etc .... When I learned to navigate it was map, compass, even sextant. But nobody ever showed me how to use a GPS. I use it all the time now, but still feel like I am only using 10% of what it will do.

Oh, and the pan flute. you must be able to play the pan flute.
How different would the world be if we'd been sold the fact that word problems are the most relevant math lessons we've ever been taught? (Instead of allowed to broadly associate them as annoying busy work.) This is a crazy awesome, out-of-the-box suggestion. Kudos!

Lately, I've been thinking about picking up a Ukulele for camp. Get enough of us together, we got ourselves a JAM SESSION. :p

I seem to remember OVERLAND JOURNAL doing a short piece titled "Seven Knots Every Overlander Should Know How To Tie" some years ago.
I am terrible at knots. It's a good idea for sure.

“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”

― Robert A. Heinlein
Niiiice.

Situational Awareness.

Beyond the obvious personal safety reasons, good situational awareness is also key to making sure you don't miss that one-of-a-kind photo, hidden-gem destination, or super secret opportunity for adventures yet unexplored.
Way to take it meta, Chazz. :p

Not so much a skill per se, but resiliency can make all the difference in difficult times. The ability to take a near disaster and make it into a great memory, or as some call it "snatching victory from the jaws of defeat" is always fun, and makes for great campfire stories.

And great trip reports ;)

Not so much a skill per se, but resiliency can make all the difference in difficult times. The ability to take a near disaster and make it into a great memory, or as some call it "snatching victory from the jaws of defeat" is always fun, and makes for great campfire stories.

This.

The ability to stay calm and think through a problem will provide some level of success. That success may be survival or it may be not going full Clark Griswold when the moose tells you the park is closed.

If resiliency isn't a skill, what is it? Do you think it can be improved?

This.

The ability to stay calm and think through a problem will provide some level of success. That success may be survival or it may be not going full Clark Griswold when the moose tells you the park is closed.
Full disclosure: Clark Griswold is my hero. :p

Look, kids! Louvre! Eiffel Tower!

Resilience is an outlook, an attitude, a way of viewing issues big and small. With that said I know it's a struggle to resist the urge to hulk out or shutdown with defeat, but I try my best to take a deep breath and remind myself to work the problem while controlling the natural emotional response.

Can it be taught? No.

Can it be learned? Yes.

I agree with Dave. Resiliency is the key to getting around any problem. When the S*** hits the fan, the "resilient guy" needs to take charge immediately after a calamity and calm all the panicked doomsayers down. The resilient guy has to have a lot of other traits like experience (mechanical ability, first aid, knot tying, navigation, etc). Everyone in a group who has spent time together instinctively knows who the resilient guy is and they also look to him for leadership when big problems arise.

The Resilient Guy has:

• Common sense
  • Situational awareness
  • Experience with calamity
  • Skills
  • Respect from peers
  • No panic reflex
  • Leadership abilities
  • Gear/tools to help solve any problem
  • MacGyver instincts

Back
Top Bottom