What Apps do you use on your Smartphone/Tablet while overlanding/outdoor recreating?

Any interest in comparing mapping and other GPS ideas while at Toys for Tots?
Right now my only map app is google maps.. but I'm interested in other options, as I'm thinking about going to a tablet setup in my truck.. I'll discuss this stuff with ya woody... :)

Right now my only map app is google maps.. but I'm interested in other options, as I'm thinking about going to a tablet setup in my truck.. I'll discuss this stuff with ya woody... :)

Google maps is surprisingly good, even in remote locations and as long as there is cell service. I was surprised by it's functionality in Northern Maine.

When Apple ditched Google maps on iOS for their own maps I was pissed. But since then, the Apple maps have gained some parity IMHO. On the road, I always use the iOS maps now with great results.

Off road, I'm learning Gaia on iOS and so far it seems solid. For Android, I really, really liked Back Country Navigator :thumbsup

I use an ipad cellular with a ram mount and run gaia, google maps, google earth, motion x, & magellan TRX. I have just recently started using gaia and am hoping for big things from it as it links open source maps within it. It is the only one other than HEMA that I have paid for. I find each one has its strength and weaknesses. I am afraid I switch around from one to the other and dont really learn the ins and outs before I switch. Gaia will change all of that. Like others, I also carry a gazetteer, road atlas, and paper maps.

I use:

-Gaia GPS for offline navigation

- ALLSTAYS for camping/campground information on the fly. This one paid for itself the first time I used it.

I use, GO Paddling. It shows put in areas where ever I am. Input from users is a handy feature. It describes the access area as to difficulty of
access or take out, and parking areas. I'm not a big app user but this one works great for me.

Back
Top Bottom