What Apps do you use on your Smartphone/Tablet while overlanding/outdoor recreating?

OutdoorX4

Adventurist
As many of us integrate technology more and more on our travels, I'm wondering what y'all use on your smartphone/tablet while on your journeys? I'm thinking of compiling a list of the top 5-10 for an editorial short in a future issue of OutdoorX4 but am curious as to what you use. Post up if you use anything for overlanding or when hiking/paddling/mountain biking/backpacking etc.

Here's what I use:
- Avenza PDF Maps (mated with Bad Elf GPS or Dual AV GPS) App
- Geocaching App (my kids and I enjoy "treasure hunting" while on adventures)
- Star Chart App (for viewing/knowing the constellations when camping)
- Spyglass App (really cool app that integrates compass with GPS)

- Avenza
- MotionX GPS (to record hikes, bikes, and floats)
- Instagram (social isn't everyone's bag, but it's a key part of my smartphone handling)
- Camera (built-in app - the best camera is the one you have)

I run a tablet in the truck with Backcountry Navigator for topo maps, and CoPilot Navigator for turn by turn road maps. Also run Torque for the ODB scanner and live gauges, and APRS droid bluetooth tethered to a mobilinkd tnc. Oh, and the Delorme app for the inreache se

I have been playing with Gaia for Apple. I haven't actually used it on a trip yet but the maps look amazing. You can download usfs and topo maps for offline use.

I have been playing with Gaia for Apple. I haven't actually used it on a trip yet but the maps look amazing. You can download usfs and topo maps for offline use.

X2

Looking forward to using it with my new iPad mini nav setup :cool:

Yeah, I keep hearing Gaia is an excellent resource for this. Almost thinking I should give it a shot versus my Avenza PDF reliance.

And, I can't disagree with those of you who don't use apps. The reality is, however, that there are some really good uses for technology at least as a backup. I still carry paper maps and atlas with me everywhere I go. :)

even without considering the safety factor of having real paper maps, I think they are a must. There is just something about throwing the map on the hood, or browsing the map around a campfire to decide where you are going the next day.

An interesting app is Glympse. It allows you to share your location for up to 4 hours. I've found that it's handy for keeping tabs on family, or sharing my location with my s.o. as I'm returning home from an adventure. It's not perfect. Seems a little resource intensive, and obviously requires service, but it is occasionally useful.

- Glympse

I use the Topomaps app for navigation on my iPad. For all you troglodytes out there I do have paper maps, compass, handheld GPS and the ability to make a desert compass and know which direction the sun rises and sets as well :mike

The camera app has replaced lugging around a stand alone camera. As stated before, the best camera is the one you have on you!

GPS trails app from backpacker magazine on my phone. Allows you to download hike routes and maps for foot and bike trails and provides trail records and photo tagging. Not the best app due to a crappy interface but I got it free many years ago.

Facebook. Yes, I know :worms How about looking at it this way: I can snap a photo or post up a location so people can track me. Lets the search party know where to start looking for my corpse :)

Mil-Dot Ballistics. Every load for every rifle is saved. I may not need to take a 600 yard shot but I will be able to dial in the data on the rifle before I shank the shot :rifle

I just tried Waze this past week while getting my son from college, its kind of like facebook but for traffic where people post realtime traffic jams, accidents, police traps etc. Kind of hard to use by yourself but if you have a passenger and an iPad with mapping software it would be very easy to avoid traffic jams.

https://www.waze.com/

Recently discovered the OnXmaps Hunt App for iPhone and iPad. Lets you know what's public and private land and who the land owners are. Important to know for hunting.

I like to use the 'Power Off' feature :)

I've tried out Gaia GPS on my Nexus 7 tablet just using the built in GPS antenna and its impressed me. I cant say I'd depend on it for backcountry navigation yet though.

Any interest in comparing mapping and other GPS ideas while at Toys for Tots?

Ooo... [molar suck]... I think it's going to be really, really tough to get any attendees to share any information about their trucks or build projects. :rolleyes:

So true but the conversations seem to migrate to lifts,lockers,lodging and storage?

You know I'm suggesting that members like to talk about their vehicles and modifications like Grandma likes to show off pictures of her grandkids, right? #irony #sarcasm

Back
Top Bottom