WASHINGTON

Dave

Adventurist
Founder
Senior Staff
Editor
Crowd Sourced! Share information and ask specific questions about this state here.

This section is focused on documenting the following:
  • Adventure Opportunities & Destinations
  • Trails
  • Campsites
  • Watercraft Put-Ins/Take-Outs
  • Local Info, Highlights & Lore
  • Local Regulations & Local Insight

IMG_0238.JPG

Looking for my cousin Sasquatch along the Mountain Loop Highway. Just NE of Seattle you can pick it up at Granite Falls and travel through the Mt. Baker-Snoqualime NF. This scenic byway takes you through many wilderness areas and many CG's both with 13 NF designated and (?)dispersed sites. After passing through the hamlet of Silverton, the road turns to gravel and one drives along the South fork of the Sauk, then the Sauk rivers before heading into the logging community of Darington where you'll find a great NF Ranger station. The closer to Granite Falls= the more populated the camping areas.

I ended up camping at Bedal CG. Super cool CG with many old growth trees throughout the campsites. Also here is the confluence of the Sauk, South Fork of the Sauk and the North Fork of the Sauk Rivers.

IMG_1382.JPG

IMG_1394.JPG

IMG_1392.JPG

IMG_1390.JPG

IMG_1386.JPG

IMG_1385.JPG

IMG_1379.JPG

IMG_1376.JPG

IMG_1377.JPG

IMG_1378.JPG

IMG_1364.JPG

IMG_1361.JPG

IMG_1360.JPG

IMG_1359.JPG

IMG_1355.JPG

Last edited:
I went through Washington twice in the past three years on my last journey, I started at the border with Priest River Idaho and traveled into Washington the the town of Newport where I picked up WA 20 N along the Pend Oreille River towards Colville and many recent Sasquatch sightings within the Colville NF and the Little Pend Oreille National Wildlife Refuge. That 1st night we stayed at Flodelle Creek CG and in the morning drove up to the Lookout on Timber Mtn elevation 5,474'. After driving back out we stopped at Crystal falls and chatted with some ADV riders before continuing to Colville where we picked up WA 20-395 to Kettle Falls and the bridge crossing the Columbia River/ Lake Roosevelt into Lake Roosevelt NRA.
Continuing west on WA 20 all the way to the Cascades through dense evergreen forests and deep mountain valleys formed by ancient glaciers. That is until we drove past the Okanogan NF into a more arid climate along the Okanogan River near the town of Tonasket where many apple orchards were growing as far as I could see.
My apologies for the pavement shots. For whatever reason, I tried to capture everything I was seeing while driving. Some of which I found to be breathtaking. If anything, memories captured in time. Some of the last pix in this group are of going up and over Washington Pass in the Okanogan NF, still on WA 20.

IMG_1127.JPG

IMG_1128.JPG

IMG_1138.JPG

IMG_1141.JPG

IMG_1146.JPG

IMG_1149.JPG

IMG_1152.JPG

IMG_1157.JPG

IMG_1154.JPG

IMG_1161.JPG

IMG_1164.JPG

IMG_1165.JPG

IMG_1167.JPG

IMG_1169.JPG

IMG_1168.JPG

That night we camped at the Upper Goodell CG in Ross Lake NRA not realizing it was a group site the ranger that stopped by let us slide for the night and gave us the site for free. Very cool spot indeed! It is sited along Goodell Creek just up from the Skagit River. It's surrounding forest was much like a rainforest with ferns and conifers with huge growths of moss and lichen covering everything. I was thinking at any moment a dinosaur would show its beedy little eyes! Definitely a cool place. The rushing waters of the creek sent my weary mind to sleep, to dream about moss covered stump houses.
IMG_3397.JPG
IMG_1205.JPG
IMG_1203.JPG
IMG_1212.JPG
IMG_1213.JPG
IMG_1216.JPG
IMG_1209.JPG
IMG_1214.JPG
IMG_1222.JPG
IMG_1219.JPG
IMG_1227.JPG

IMG_1528.JPG
IMG_1518.JPG
IMG_1523.JPG
IMG_1520.JPG
IMG_1521.JPG
IMG_1514.JPG
IMG_1510.JPG
IMG_1516.JPG
IMG_1508.JPG
IMG_1506.JPG
IMG_1500.JPG
Mt. Baker-Snoqualime NF.
An excellent day hike about 60 miles NE of Seattle.
If you're Heading west on the Mountain Loop Scenic Byway and about 21 miles east of Granite Falls is Big Four Mountain in the Cascade Range of Washington. The mountain is about 6,180 ft high. At the base is the Ice Caves. I was there two years ago and two weeks after my visit 1-2 people died there under crashing ice. A warning is posted!
The hike to the caves is an easy 3 mile walk through beautiful conifer rain forests, various bushes laden with berries and flowering shrubbery of all types. There was a fair amount of deer on the trail as well. The path is well maintained and has a number of foot bridges crossing the Stilaguamish River and a few creeks and gullies along the route to the caves. As you hike through the forest you can see trees with the tops snapped off in pervious avalanches.

When I was there, it was in the mid 80's and although warned to not enter, I ventured into the cave and was rewarded with much cooler temperatures and a constant trickling of ice cold water. One could see the Mountain above looking up from the back while inside the cave. Inside on the floor were roots and branches probably recently released from a frozen and icy past.

This place is just teeming with life and new growth. I didn't stay long in the cave as you could see large cracks in places and where chunks had already broke off and fell, especially in the back of the cave where the ceiling gave way. Don't forget your band-aids!
IMG_1502.JPG
IMG_1497.JPG
IMG_1496.JPG
IMG_1492.JPG
IMG_1486.JPG
IMG_1483.JPG
IMG_1481.JPG
IMG_1472.JPG
IMG_1411.JPG
IMG_1426.JPG

Highway 20 the North Cascades highway is fantastic! On the east side you have the towns of Mazama and Winthrop. Great camping and wheeling, Harts Pass road the highest point in WA you can drive. Mazama has tons of mountain bike trails and cross country skiing in the winter.

I will be up just north of Seattle in the Edmonds area from Friday through Nov 5th. any recommendations for day trips?

I will be up just north of Seattle in the Edmonds area from Friday through Nov 5th. any recommendations for day trips?

Hop on the ferry and get over to Olympic National Park :thumbsup

It’s in my top 5 places on the planet.

The Washington Backcountry Discovery Route

This 575-mile route thoroughly explores the Cascade Mountains beginning in Stevenson, WA and making it to the Canadian border at Night Hawk. Views of the massive volcanic mountains from the dense forest in the southern part of the route are stunning and the open arid pine forests of the central part of the route showcase the diversity of Washington. The route just seems to get better each day as you head north and into the high-mountain areas beyond Lake Chelan.

It takes most people about 5-6 days to complete the route and there are some easy alternate sections to get around difficult stretches. There are many great camp spots along the way for those looking to rough it. The route also works well for those looking to stay in hotels or to do a little of both.

Best time of year: June through September is the best window for the Washington route. Snow in the mountain passes can block riders from completing the route early and late in the season.

https://ridebdr.com/WABDR

map-route-washington.jpg

Back
Top Bottom