Walmart recalls nearly a quarter million axes

4x4x4doors

Adventurist
Walmart is recalling about 246,000 axes sold nationwide because the product's head can detach from the handle, potentially causing injury.

The retailing giant has received two reports of axe heads coming off their handles, resulting in minor cuts and abrasions, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission said Wednesday.

The Ozark Trail camp axes were sold exclusively at Walmart stores across the country and online from January 2017 through July 2018 for about $8, the agency said. Consumers should return the axes, manufactured by Gardex of India, for a full refund.

The axes being recalled are steel-shaft tubular axes measuring about 14 inches long from handle to axe head and weigh just over a pound. They have a black, non-slip rubber grip, with "Ozark Trail" and the model number 6011140 printed on the packaging.

Consumers can call Walmart at 800-925-6278 from 7 a.m. through 9 p.m. Central time any day or go to www.walmart.com and click on "Product Recalls" for more information.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/walmart-axe-recall-nearly-quarter-million-axe/

Lemme get this straight.

TWO of 246,000 axe heads came off?

14 inches... these are hatchets not axes. But I digress. This is what happens in a knee jerk, litigious society like we live in today.

Two. Of two hundred and forty six THOUSAND.

Alert the media :panic

Anyone who has ever done any real work with an axe or hatchet, or pickaxe or sledge hammer, knows that handles can and do come lose. And shit flies. And you find it and wedge it back on or get a new handle. It’s just a fact.

(Not directed at the OP, just SMDH)

That ^ pretty much sums it up.

0.000008130081301 % failure rate. Ooooh, the humanity.

It's an $8 hatchet...that's something you buy just to be able to say you have one...not something you buy to actually use!:rolleyes:

I own an inexpensive hatchet, never really found a need for it, I think I've used it to make kindling a time or two but that's about it.

My old hatchet that I inherited from my dad needed some attention over the years, a new wedge once, and later a new handle and wedge. It's to be expected from something that impacts mostly solid mass when swung with plenty of inertia. I don't even know who made this axe, but it's old, and holds an edge pretty damn well.

Looks like this walmart axe has a rubber grip that slides onto the handle, and in the photo appears to be sliding off. I suppose if it slid off mid-swing on the first swing, then Gardex of India deserves to take this loss. Maybe some thought should have went into securing the grip onto the handle.

Did anyone look at the picture? It's a "steel" handled hatchet, right? Made in the capital of quality steel products... India. Anyone buying that piece of pot-metal deserves to be injured.

It's an $8 hatchet...that's something you buy just to be able to say you have one...not something you buy to actually use!:rolleyes:

I own an inexpensive hatchet, never really found a need for it, I think I've used it to make kindling a time or two but that's about it.

This. You get what you pay for.

Back
Top Bottom