Wagonofdoom - 2015 Outback Overlander

I had already decided the next vehicle would be an older outback, but this thread makes me want it now. Love the hidden winch.

i love my outback. There are growing pains because i am feeling out a brand new chassis and a complete redesign from subauru, but its getting easier as i break and build it better

i love my outback. There are growing pains because i am feeling out a brand new chassis and a complete redesign from subauru, but its getting easier as i break and build it better

You sound like a Jeep owner. The fact that you are doing this in a Subaru only raises my level of respect for what you are doing. Also makes me smile as my wife wants an Outback as her next vehicle.

for the record...i was a jeep owner
_97T5620 by Grant Wilson, on Flickr
IMG_9277 by Grant Wilson, on Flickr
thats mount fuji in the back

and a host of other extremely modified cars
IMG_0160 by Grant Wilson, on Flickr
IMG_9895 by Grant Wilson, on Flickr
IMG_8951 by Grant Wilson, on Flickr
IMG_0913 by Grant Wilson, on Flickr
IMG_9357 by Grant Wilson, on Flickr
IMG_4066 by Grant Wilson, on Flickr
IMG_9596 by Grant Wilson, on Flickr
miatafrontside.jpg by Grant Wilson, on Flickr
Untitled by Grant Wilson, on Flickr
IMG_0187 by Grant Wilson, on Flickr

so when i say ill break it and build it better, i actually do mean it.

Which also leads me to this weekend/weeks project.
Rear tire carrier. Tire will be offest to passenger side. Two water cans will be mounted to the left of it. the span is roughly 51" from corner to corner. This is the first bar. A 10* roughly sweep back to wrap around the hatch curve.

2x2 x1/8 for structure
using hte AtoZ tire swingout kit

TE37's on a Jeep. Sexy. Nice resume of modified tuners!

Oh yeah, almost forgot: a wonderfully built Outback. It's nice to see them lifted and doing what they were meant for. Any chance of that waggy tire carrier getting buttoned up? Watching that vid earlier made me cringe a bit seeing it wobble so much offroad. Seems it needs more lateral support than a single hitch mount. Perhaps a dual hitch mount it with dual pivots to retain the hinging fold-down design aspect and stock bumper? Just a thought.

Very impressive resume. I'm just starting to develop some of the skills you have obviously mastered. Got into this game late, like late 40s late. I changed my engine oil for the first time in my life 4 years ago.

TE37's on a Jeep. Sexy. Nice resume of modified tuners!

Oh yeah, almost forgot: a wonderfully built Outback. It's nice to see them lifted and doing what they were meant for. Any chance of that waggy tire carrier getting buttoned up? Watching that vid earlier made me cringe a bit seeing it wobble so much offroad. Seems it needs more lateral support than a single hitch mount. Perhaps a dual hitch mount it with dual pivots to retain the hinging fold-down design aspect and stock bumper? Just a thought.
im actually just started the process of a swingout carrier lol. should be done this week barring time allowance

i really like your outback, i saw your video on jalopnik and just found this site. i have an '11 outback, and you gave me some great ideas. i especially need a winch and i dig the roof rack you made. here's a pic of mine from labor day weekend, my daughter and slept in the back and the dog slept in the front seat.
8pWtaJq.jpg

i broke an axle last summer so i don't offroad much anymore.

Cool build!

Not knocking your work, but you'd be better off not grinding down most of those welds. I understand there are some that need to be ground down for fitment, but if you can avoid grinding them smooth, you'll end up with much stronger joints. Just trying to be helpful, not hurtful!

I wont grind any that are behind the bumper. the major structure (load bearing areas) I will have welded by a shop. my little lincoln cant handle the really really thick stuff. So ill have someone with the proper machine take care of it. Ill just do a tack to set it and let them do the rest. I only ground down the center joint on the curved bar.

So. swingout is done MINUS the water can holder. just need 3 bolts to mount the wheel and its all done. I still need to figure out what im going to do about a water carrier. Anyone wanna contribute a two can idea?

After VT ill have it powdercoated. ill just spraypaint it for that.

proposed mock up
im no pro, but it will work id say

Nice work! What's your plan for the suspension with the additional weight of the steel bumper, swingout, filled Jerry cans, and tire/rim?

Back
Top Bottom