UTAH

@BoldAdventure

1) I just didn't know what I was getting into.
2) forwards into oblivion....
3) there was no where to turn around and head back.
4) If I could've turned around, I might not have such great memories
5) no better sense/ death wish/ reckless
6) just plain adventurous

I need to see what all the fuss is about :) Anyone want to go sometime this summer?

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Before Pleasant Creek Road, we traveled north from Big Water on Croton Road to Hole in the Rock Road. Nice graded road but very slow going, when we went,
due to wash-outs at every dip because of some major monsoons a couple weeks before plus Left Hand Collet Canyon was totally washed out. Multiple stops to lay rocks on dry waterfalls.

61 miles along Croton Road, had yet to see a single person or vehicle, we came to this set of road signs:

IMG_2737.JPG

IMG_2735.JPG

Cam

Last edited:
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0007.JPG
IMG_0012.JPG
IMG_0014.JPG
IMG_0016.JPG
IMG_0017.JPG
IMG_0038.JPG
IMG_0030.JPG
IMG_0048.JPG
IMG_0050.JPG
These shots are from 9 Mile Canyon a few miles NE of Wellington. If heading N on UT 191, turn Right on Soldier Creek Rd a couple of miles before Wellington. That will take you through the Book Cliffs to an early Mormon settlement where you'll find camping at Nine Mile Ranch. Along this route there are many opportunities to photograph many petroglyphs this is also stated on the Benchmark Map R & R page 53, B 9-10. After camping at 9 Mike CG we headed up Argyle Canyon where it will eventually intersect with 191 again.

View attachment 27606 View attachment 27607 View attachment 27608 View attachment 27609 View attachment 27611 View attachment 27612 View attachment 27613 View attachment 27614 View attachment 27615 View attachment 27616 View attachment 27617 These shots are from 9 Mile Canyon a few miles NE of Wellington. If heading N on UT 191, turn Right on Soldier Creek Rd a couple of miles before Wellington. That will take you through the Book Cliffs to an early Mormon settlement where you'll find camping at Nine Mile Ranch. Along this route there are many opportunities to photograph many petroglyphs this is also stated on the Benchmark Map R & R page 53, B 9-10. After camping at 9 Mike CG we headed up Argyle Canyon where it will eventually intersect with 191 again.
Sorry if I missed this elsewhere...Did you do the whole UTBDR in one trip? If so, how long did it take?

Sorry if I missed this elsewhere...Did you do the whole UTBDR in one trip? If so, how long did it take?

I did it in one trip two years ago with 11 vehicles total and I believe we did it in 9-11 days. We had all hoped to drive the entire route off road but due to heavy weather, road conditions and washouts there were a few sections we had to bypass on the pavement.

Here are some shots from going up to Bald Mtn elevation 11,943'. This is on UT 150 NE from the town of Kamas and into the Wasatch Cache NF in the Uinta Mountains.

This picture of my rig at Lost Creek Reservoir up Emigration Canyon in Uinta- Wasatch-Cache NF

Some Bear Lake photos near Garden City and Utah border with Idaho Looking back into Caribou NF.
IMG_0053.JPG
IMG_0051.JPG
IMG_0055.JPG
IMG_0058.JPG
IMG_0059.JPG
IMG_0061.JPG
IMG_0063.JPG
IMG_0064.JPG
IMG_0077.JPG

Last edited:
Two years ago I was watching a Rocky Mountain Sasquatch Organization video and as I was watching the video I paid attention to some the signs they were passing to figure out where they were. In so doing last year on my expedition I found myself choosing it as a destination and was able to discover much grandeur in the area known as Flaming Gorge NRA in NE Utah. Along the northern edge of the Uinta Mountains there's a really large Reservoir and and a fair amount of wheeling in both the Uinta-Wasatch-Cache NF and the Ashley NF respectively. There's a big dam located there as well and they offer guided tours down into its depths of concrete. Then out a door at the bottom to feed the monstrous Trout and friendly neighborhood marmot. Many great campground's can be found surrounding the res. I stayed in the area for about five days and camped at both primitive and developed sites. At Skull Creek CG #17 was the best choice with a big bold Creek overflowing its boundaries. I had the CG all to myself. I next stayed at Mustang Ridge in #39. There are hot showers in nice clean bathrooms here.. after leaving that spot I headed over to Deep Creek for a night at #10 off of NFS road 539. After that I followed 218 to 221 along the Windy Ridge into Sheep Canyon Geologic area and then spending the night at Mann's CG. The Squatch sighting was on the Red Cloud Loop rd. just NW of the town of Vernal.
IMG_4533.JPG
IMG_4535.JPG
IMG_4530.JPG
IMG_4536.JPG
IMG_4531.JPG
IMG_4529.JPG
IMG_4513.JPG

I didn't get many pictures of the drive but I highly recommend 539 to Deep Creek. It's maintained but drives through some incredible scenery of forest, field and deep Canyon.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention after leaving Mustang Ridge I passed Skull Creek and went to Canyon Rim CG and stayed at #12, there are some magnificent views across the gorge high above the reservoir.

IMG_4690.JPG

IMG_4689.JPG

IMG_4688.JPG

IMG_4687.JPG

IMG_4684.JPG

This sixth picture is the road going down into Deep Creek
IMG_4679.JPG

IMG_4670.JPG

IMG_4671.JPG

IMG_4666.JPG

Back
Top Bottom