Usual Kit

Mr. Leary

Adventurist
Founding Member
My kit changes a bit depending on the trip and what kind of fun I'm lookin to get into. However, what I can think of as my base kit is:

Edgestar (lookin at an ARB someday though)
Energizer "night light" LED lantern & some of those battery operated puck lights mounted on the rear door
Campmore chuck box with coleman stove / grill
PETT toilet, cablelas enclosure makes it if I am base camping or planning to shower
Small shears and hand saw
thick leather work gloves and mechanix gloves
pickaxe, small sledge, and splitter spike
2" ratchet straps (2), 1" ratchet straps (2)
tool bag (bag of holding +2) with wrenches, socket set, drivers, extra nuts and bolts, vise grips, etc. (I work on my truck with this kit even when at the house)
wool blanket over back seat... protects upholstery and there in a pinch
duct tape and electrical tape
twine and 550 cord
extra speaker wire (for jumpers or trapping in a pinch)
well stocked first aid kit and blow out kit
spare key (hidden outside cab)
extra fluids (every type used by the truck)
jumper cables
super siphons (water and fuel)
economy pack baby wipes
backpacking stove, water, and a couple dehydrated meals (just in case)
small bag with light survival kit and camera stuff
fire extinguisher (hard mounted on driver floor)
Garmin 60CSx - used in truck and out (both NA road and topo mapsets)

All I can think of right now... lets hear about your kit

We'd be here all day if I listed all the crap that I carry with me, and it tends to change depending on the purpose of the trip.

Two comments about your list.

1. Working on your truck at home using the tools you carry in the truck is smart. I try to do the same thing, then I know I have the tools to get the job done if out in the boonies.

2. The wool blanket...I carry a wool (wool is warm even when wet) military surplus blanket as well. Too many uses to list, everything from a traction aid in soft sand to a picnic blanket!

I'd add my pack-out list but I don't want to crash the server farm.

X2 I carry a lot of stuff in the cruiser. Lots of nice little compartments to put gear in.

I will say that getting an action packer was one of the best things I've done since Jan 2012. It allows me to put all cooking gear in one, organized protected place. I love it.

I'd add my pack-out list but I don't want to crash the server farm.

I have a multi-page Excel spreadsheet. Not everything on the list is hauled out but it helps to ensure that I bring critical items rather than assume that they are loaded in a bag or container.

The forum does not allow Excel attachments

You know thats a really good idea and very simple to make a custom packing list each time depending on what you are doing.

I've got everything listed for multi-day trips for the truck and the trailer and a single day is just a subset of that. I'll just line out what I don't need and check off what I actually load up.

Some of the items that are a constant are in small Action Packers and I just take those from the garage and load them up.

I saved a BMW just yesterday on a trip to Crown King. It lost a bolt on its rear caliper. The well stocked nut and bolt bag I carry saved his weekend. The 6"x6"x4" bag can carry a lot of good hardware if I sort thru, weed and feed it right. I can't count the times that bag has saved the day.

Funny! I need to take a few days, once I'm all settled in on the east coast, to compile a list.... Lol

Now that I've seen what you take I would suggest a 2 Terabyte portable hard disk drive... that might be able to catalog all the contents of your Jeep.

Back
Top Bottom