URSA MINOR J30

woody

Adventurist
Are there any J30's in San Diego area that could spare a couple of minutes to show a perspective J30 buyer? Will buy you a couple of tacos or burrito and a beer or 2?

John (the owner) is a Rendezvous sponsor and long time Adventurist - I'd go down to Ursa Minor and speak directly to him since you're local!

That would've been my ideal but wanted to make sure someone was there in light of unreturned phone and emails. Hoping he's just out of town and all's well.

That would've been my ideal but wanted to make sure someone was there in light of unreturned phone and emails. Hoping he's just out of town and all's well.

I know they are buried in work and going full tilt producing units (Ursa Minor makes the J-30 and the J-180... the J-180 is also sold as the JK "Habitat" by Adventure Trailers).

I would just stop by the shop and introduce myself to John ;)

Very good!! Thanks for the info.I'll let the dust settle and then try to contact him again.

Yes, I have. For the last several years, I've drooled over John's demo camper every time he's been at the rendezvous. If you're coming to MRV, come check mine out. I believe John will be there, too.

Great weekend! Picked it up Thursday in time for MRV.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Awning and side lighting to be added soon.

Last edited:
Not the best, but here you go:
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

Note that the sleeping bag is a very large Butler Bag. Other interior shots on the Internet show standard sleeping bags and better represent the amount of room inside.

I'm 6'1" and can sit upright at the high point. Also, when I stand on the rear seat (in normal configuration), my head barely touches the ceiling.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 68
I saw your rig on the instagram feed and had to check it out.

A few questions:

1) Did you request the headliner in black or is that something Ursa Minor is just doing now? If so why?
2) Your solar setup interests me greatly. Looks a lot leaner than my setup. My rigid panel setup totals 45 lbs of top heavy mass and I've been considering changing out the panels to the flexible type you have to lighten things up.
a) Are they removable, or permanently mounted? Could you elaborate (with pics of course) on your mounting method and thoughts behind your design?
b) Do you drive around with the panels on? Are they affected by the wind?
c) What are your wattage specs and/or panel brand and part numbers?
3) Your interior center light is not the standard that Ursa has used in the past? Can you elaborate on that?
4) The base interior is white. Custom? Reasons?
5) What is on the sides of the headliner? Switch pod or something? This has been a minor problem area for me, so details would be appreciated.

Also if you could please cross post your pics to the J30 community on Expo it would be appreciated.

I saw your rig on the instagram feed and had to check it out.

A few questions:

1) Did you request the headliner in black or is that something Ursa Minor is just doing now? If so why?

I didn't ask for it and was happily surprised by it. I think it looks really good! Maybe John has certain colors for certain vehicle paint colors?

2) Your solar setup interests me greatly. Looks a lot leaner than my setup. My rigid panel setup totals 45 lbs of top heavy mass and I've been considering changing out the panels to the flexible type you have to lighten things up.
a) Are they removable, or permanently mounted? Could you elaborate (with pics of course) on your mounting method and thoughts behind your design?
b) Do you drive around with the panels on? Are they affected by the wind?
c) What are your wattage specs and/or panel brand and part numbers?

The panel is a Renogy RNG-100DB 100w flexible panel. I had found a thread where a Westfalia owner had mounted two flexible panels on his top's rails. He simply added aluminum strips to provide solid mounting points and used bolts, slid upside down in the rails, to attach to the roof. (See photos below)

The panel is on all the time, but easily removable. UMV added foam rubber to the aluminum strips in case of fluttering, but I have not heard anything thumping around up there.

3) Your interior center light is not the standard that Ursa has used in the past? Can you elaborate on that?

In one of the J30 threads on ExPo, there was mention of using the Rigid A-series light for a more-natural and warm LED color. I had UMV use it, instead, along with an angle mount from Rigid that allows the light to be pointed down when the top is up.

4) The base interior is white. Custom? Reasons?

The standard Jeep hardtop's interior is white, but UMV uses black carpeting on their tops.

5) What is on the sides of the headliner? Switch pod or something? This has been a minor problem area for me, so details would be appreciated.

I'm not quite sure what you're referring to?

Also if you could please cross post your pics to the J30 community on Expo it would be appreciated.

I sure will, but it'll be a couple of days.

Westfalia:

image.jpg

image.jpg

J30:
image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom