UP Michigan

lukem

Adventurist
The family and I will be in the UP at the end of June and I wanted to get some ideas on things to do. We were planning on camping in/around Ricture Rocks area and doing some day hikes and general sight seeing. We have a 3 little kids so nothing crazy but we are ok for a couple miles at a time regarding hikes. I would really like to do a bit of kayaking but it's probably not doable/safe with the kids (5,3 1) so we are planning on taking one of the tour boats. I would really like to bring my canoe and do some inshore paddling but I'm not sure it's worth it with so much other stuff to be doing.

Looks like lots of camping options and I haven't narrowed it down yet, any suggestions? I'm a bit worried about planning on staying in Pictured Rocks though since they dont take reservations and it will be the week before July 4th. We dont need to be in a campground though and might even prefer it. the NF has plenty of campgrounds that are reservable though.

Any eateries that are a required stop? We will be coming from St. Louis FYI.

We appreciate any thoughts!

Luke

You'll love the UP, we sure do. There's a whole lot of outdoor goodness to be had in that area. Here is a link to our family trip up UP way a few years back...Plan B: The U.P.. There's some good info in there to get ya' started, if there's anything you still need but please feel free to ask any questions we might be able to help you with.

As far as eateries...Main Street Pizza in Munsing makes a damn good pie and there's a little bakery along Route 134 towards Drumond Island that has some belly satisfying treats. Other than that we did all our own cookin' while we were up there.

I love da UP! Haggis had some good info. There is a ton of great stuff at www.upoverland.org too. I will 2nd Main Street Pizza! Riptide Rides in Munising is a faster version of the Pictured Rocks tour that the kids would probably enjoy.

Awesome! Thanks Haggis for the link. Looks like you guys had a good time. The bug info was especially useful, going to have to attack that cause the little ones hate mosquitoes. I'll digest this a bit more and maybe cmoe back with some follow up.

Probably wont be able to do Isle Royale but it does look amazing. It will give us an excuse to go back, maybe when the kids can be out on a yak. Riptide Rides looks like fun but we dont all meet the minimum age...slow and scenic for us lol!

Bug head nets are invaluable to keep the pests away during late spring/early summer. The locals tell me that later in the season and early fall they're not to bad. I would definitely have some sort of mesh shelter to escape the bugs if you don't have a camping solution you can hide away within.

My friend lives in Marquette and he said they mosquitoes have been horrible this year but are improving slowly. They are hit or miss when we are up in August.

Back
Top Bottom