"Uno" the 2015 Tacoma

That tire carrier is carrying a tire. Backup camera relocation is next...

20210225_144734.jpg

Stripped the factory harness out of the tailgate:

1614307707496.png

Mounted the camera in a 3D printed mount a attached it to the bottom of the swing out:

1614307751603.png

It works, but it needs some serious tweaking. For the time being though I can see if there are small fuzzy animals behind me when I back up. Once I get a better solution figured out I'll post it up.

Version 2 of the camera mount.

So the first mount barely cleared the opening I had it mounted under on the swing out. The wiring harness was rubbing a bit. Old mount, short and not enough angle with a hole drilled to adjust the mounting location:

20210226_172606.jpg

20210226_172614.jpg

New mount, taller, steeper angle and with more holes for mounting options:

20210226_172620.jpg

20210226_172623.jpg

Added protection for the connector and wiring:

20210226_172628.jpg

Vs unprotected old version:
20210226_172633.jpg

Red line on the factory display lines up with a plane that's about 1 foot off the tire on the swing out:

20210226_173010.jpg

Glare in the corners is from the reverse leds on the Mictuning bar. Going to have to block those bits off to kill the glare.

All mounted up... need to source some black hardware:

20210226_183546.jpg

Extended the factory wiring harness by about a foot to prevent it from getting pulled too tight when the swing out... swings.

Now on to the next electronic gadget in preparation for the coming cap...

What angle did you set the camera at? Mine was at 45 deg based off the camera mount in the handle but it points down a little too much.

What angle did you set the camera at? Mine was at 45 deg based off the camera mount in the handle but it points down a little too much.

43.7 degrees, which was a totally arbitrary choice after the first version was too shallow.

So we'll file this modification under "Really? Do you really need that?".

The answer to the above question is, "No, but I've always wanted to mess with one of these." So here we go.

I've added a "Smart" rear view mirror to the truck. This is a mirror with what is, essentially, an android phone embedded in it. With the android device turned off it works just like a regular mirror (the time and date can be disabled too):

IMG_8150.JPG

The mirror itself has a little wider viewing angle, capturing the entire rear window vs the 80% or so that the stock mirror catches. Optics are pretty good and when viewed at the proper angle from the driver's position, rather than from the side like in that photo, there's no real ghosting of the LCD screen that's embedded.

With the guts of the device powered on you get a fully functional android device featuring wifi, bluetooth, a SIM card slot to take advantage of the cellular modem, and both front and rear dash cams. Here it's running a weather app next to the dashcam:

IMG_8147.JPG

The stock interface has the time/date and music app hard coded to always show up on the left side of the mirror. I'm going to be looking into a way to disable this as it appears to be some sort of launcher running on top of android.

The dashcam has all the features you'd expect, auto recording, locking the file if a crash is detected and offers remote monitoring while the vehicle is parked. Here I have the front camera maximized in the interface:

IMG_8148.JPG

Cell phone photo makes it look washed out but the screen is bright and vibrant. Just as good, if not better, than the digital rear view mirrors that are coming on the Camaro SS these days. Installing the device was easy. It features flexible bands that go around the stock mirror and hold it in place. I'm using this short term while I decide if I want to keep it or not. Long term I'd remove the stock mirror and more permanently mount this device using some RAM balls and a short arm.

For power it requires a connection to constant power and the accessory power circuit. It has it's own power supply that drops the 12v from the vehicle down to 5v at 2.5a. It powers on and off automatically with the vehicle and has an internal backup batter to retain settings, keep the clock running and power the device to run the remote monitoring software while powered down. It appears to only pull from the vehicle power when that backup battery runs low. I can't find any specs in the documentation on the capacity of that internal battery. Wiring it in was easy. I made use of the existing rear view mirror connection that Toyota had tucked up above the upper console. This connection was used on trucks that were spec'd with a radio that didn't have a screen and provided power and signal for an embedded LCD screen in the stock Toyota mirror for the backup camera:

IMG_8143.JPG

Toyota was nice enough to include the female end of this connector, I'm assuming to protect the male end from shorting out. Disconnecting the female in I added my own pins and wired it to the connector that came with the rear view mirror to create a stock looking wiring harness:

IMG_8145.JPG

For anyone looking to use this wire the factory harness pin out is as follows:

White Wire w/ Black Stripe: Ground
Red Wire: Constant 12v
Green Wire: Switched 12v on ACC circuit

This connection ties in with a number of other items into a single 10a fuse on the in cab fuse panel.

Here's a shot of the driver's position, cell phone running Google Maps for navigation, mirror running Back Country Navigator for off road navigation:

IMG_8146.JPG

Once I pickup the bed cap from @Haggis I'll wire in the reverse camera and mount it so it has a view that will allow me to use the mirror as a "digital" mirror and prevent any vision obstruction from the cap. When I had the F250 I found it was quite difficult to see out the back window in the rain or in dusty conditions because of the cap. Granted the Tacoma bed (and cab) are much shorter, and the obstruction may not be as bad, but this will allow a clearer line of site.

Necessary modification? Absolutely not. Fun to play with? Yep. Useful? We'll see.

Who makes it?

Packaging didn't have any manufacturer's name. Can't find anyone domestically turning these out. They seem to be another of those products that are churned out of Shenzhen by several manufacturers and are then rebranded. Grabbed this one off Ebay.

Added Autex in channel window visors today. Was never a fan of visors before I had the F250 that came with them. Found them useful enough that I sought out these low profile ones for the Tacoma. Wife says I'm becoming an old man... not sure why window visors are an old man thing but, as she reminded me, she's usually right. :D

20210314_125039.jpg

20210314_125048.jpg

20210314_125201.jpg

Packaging didn't have any manufacturer's name. Can't find anyone domestically turning these out. They seem to be another of those products that are churned out of Shenzhen by several manufacturers and are then rebranded. Grabbed this one off Ebay.

I went looking and Rear View safety has them but the image only takes up part of the mirror which I don't like. Come on RVS. If I have to have a camera because the view is blocked ...

There are 2 "standard" ways to wire a 7-pin - commercial and RV (names are something like that.)

I assume the Tacoma's are wired "RV", since I didn't have to change anything for the teardrop. I have a 7-4 pin adapter that also works without wiring changes.

Oh, and 7-pin wire colors are different than 4-pin. o_O

For the 3rd gen this was plug and play. Probably works for 2nd too.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007EA6WQU

https://americanadventurist.com/forum/threads/2018-taco-trd-offroad.5713/page-8#post-136277

Wheelers Off Road extended stainless steel brake lines added today along with one speed bleeder. To be fair I installed the second speed bleeder but it was defective. o_O

Also dropped the stock spare and removed the hoist chain.

20210501_182904.jpg

One of the brake line fittings (top connection on the passenger line) gave me a hell of a time when I was removing it. A run to Home Depot for these:

Screenshot_20210501-140309_Chrome.jpg

aided the process. Also greased the entire drive line and upper control arms.

Back
Top Bottom