"Uno" the 2015 Tacoma

1650 miles, 5 states and $176 in fuel later Uno is sporting a Leer cap. Thanks @Haggis for the deal.

Immediate plans are to get some rubber weather seals installed. It rained (or snowed) from Pennsylvania to the Georgia border last night and quite a bit of water came in between the front of the bed and the cap. I should have access to a forklift later this week to make the weather seal install a little easier.

After that I'm going to run power to the fuse box @Haggis installed and wire in the 3rd brake light after resealing it.

Then it'll be time to pack it up and use it.

20210509_121505.jpg

Stopped for dinner last night and saw this rig:

20210509_173604.jpg

Looked to have every Jeep trail badge available down the driver's side front fender.

I assume that is the first time your truck has seen snow. Kind of late in the year, isn't it?

Anyway, time to build out the interior!

First time it's seen snow since I've owned it. The pristine frame would lead me to believe it's never left the south.

As far as building out the interior...I sat in the back and on the tailgate during a lengthy conference call today and now the wheels in my head are turning...

Oh, and a Martin Offroad roof rack is showing up tomorrow if the UPS tracking system is accurate...

First time it's seen snow since I've owned it. The pristine frame would lead me to believe it's never left the south.

As far as building out the interior...I sat in the back and on the tailgate during a lengthy conference call today and now the wheels in my head are turning...

Oh, and a Martin Offroad roof rack is showing up tomorrow if the UPS tracking system is accurate...

Since I finally moved my spare to the bumper, my bed is much roomier.

I've been thinking about improvements as well...

Martin Offroad roof rack and cap rack installed today. Roof rack was pretty straightforward... just ruined my gutter strips trying to put 3/4 inch holes for the spacers. Ultimately said screw it and just pulled them.

The cap rack took A LOT of adjusting to get it on straight, square and centered. Turned out real nice in the end and the Thule cross bars and mounts are still usable for items that need to sit a little higher... like the curved hull of a boat.

20210511_195328.jpg

20210511_195509.jpg

Next up is comms including mounting antennas to the roof rack, solar panel install, aux battery and a little camp lighting. Then it'll be time to take some vacation so I can stop using it just to commute to the airport.

Did you get the front seal replaced on the cap? I pulled bits of the old seal and gobs of silicone off my truck from when it was installed.

Did you get the front seal replaced on the cap? I pulled bits of the old seal and gobs of silicone off my truck from when it was installed.

Unfortunately not yet. On the drive home that seemed to be the only area where water came in. Hoping to tackle it during some time off I have coming up.

I'll be interested in your antenna mounts! I currently have a mag mount dual band HAM antenna and looking to relocate it.

My current line of thinking is something like the AL Offroad T Slot Antenna Mount:

Screenshot_20210513-201005_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210513-200931_Chrome.jpg

Mounted to a 1.5"x1.5" single extrusion bar that can rotate. I'd like to leave the antennas connected all the time but be able to rotate that single extrusion and lay them down for parking garages, drive throughs, wooded trails, etc...

I like the look of that AL Offroad piece, but at their price they'd need to take me to dinner first. That's nothing a band saw and a drill press couldn't turn out. Also trying to sort out rotating the extrusion and locking it in place.

I think its almost easier to just unscrew a couple NMO antennas rather than try to rotate the extrusion nicely....

I think its almost easier to just unscrew a couple NMO antennas rather than try to rotate the extrusion nicely....

There's part of me that agrees, I'm over complicating things here. But from knowing my use in the past there's been plenty of times where it's been convenient while running down the highway, or even rural roads, to flip on the CB to see what updates truckers are giving on traffic ahead, road conditions, etc. Stopping to pull the antenna out and attach it is just another step. Plus figuring out how to make the rotation work gives me a puzzle to think about during the day. :D

Back
Top Bottom