"Uno" the 2015 Tacoma

Pulled the driver side needle bearing from the front dif today and installed an ECGS roller bearing. Other than tearing a boot on a sway bar link it went OK. Quite the job though, took about 6 hours with most of the time spent getting the CV axle removed.

After I was done I went ahead and flushed the front dif and refilled with fresh fluid.

Rago bed stiffeners showed up today. Fantastic packaging with everything divided into heat sealed compartments inside the bag.

20201019_134846.jpg

Straight forward install:

20201019_140243.jpg

Pull the bolts holding the tie down loops.
Pull the bed bolts.

20201019_135728.jpg

Pull the taillights .

20201019_135508.jpg

Position the brackets. The one with the Rago R goes on the passenger side.

Start by reinstalling the bed bolts and tie down loop bolt. You do have to remove the washers and spacers from the tie down loops so the factory bolt will reach. Once those bolts are in drill the top hole with a 1/2 inch bit and install the hardware. This will keep everything flush and square while you drill the middle and bottom holes.

20201019_142435.jpg

20201019_142441.jpg

Helps to have an offset box end 19mm wrench to work around the perpendicular factory fastener near the middle bolt inside the tail light housing.

20201019_144716.jpg

20201019_144719.jpg

20201019_144723.jpg

My Tacoma was made in the USA, almost all of the "accessories" I've installed are made in USA.

As pro-American as I am, many parts from the American made vehicles are not made in America. :(

My Tacoma was made in the USA, almost all of the "accessories" I've installed are made in USA.

As pro-American as I am, many parts from the American made vehicles are not made in America. :(

Cars.com does a ranked list of the most American Made vehicles each year. I believe there was a year where the Tacoma was way up the list for the most "American Made" taking into account final assembly location and where the majority of the components were sourced. I've had car Toyota dealers try to tell me before that the Tundra and Tacoma are the most American Made vehicles on the road. None ever seemed to be able to back up that claim when pressed for proof other than "Well they're assembled here by American workers!".

The list for the 2020 model year is fairly diverse, and the Tacoma is quite a ways down there:

1. Ford Ranger
2. Jeep Cherokee
3. Tesla Model S
10. Chevrolet Colorado (behind several Honda models)
16. Toyota Tundra (behind several Honda and Acura models)
26. Jeep Grand Cherokee (given it's position vs the Cherokee at #2 I'm guessing the more electronic goodies the less American sourced components)
40. Jeep Gladiator
42. Jeep Wrangler
44. Ford F150
47. Ram 1500
77. Chevy Silverado
84. Toyota Tacoma

Cars.com explains HERE what their requirements are and how the rank what's on the list. Automakers don't have to submit data for vehicles with a GVWR over 8,500lbs, for example, so you won't see things like the Super Duty, Chevy 2500/3500 or Titan XD on the list. They also exclude some fleet-only vehicles (service vehicles) and vehicles that are being discontinued in the current model year without a replacement.

Slowly putting together auxiliary relay/fuse panel.

20201021_003454.jpg

Finished up wiring the relay box. Neat silicon plugs to keep the junk out.

20201019_121933.jpg

Started with some cardboard designs.

20201019_125702.jpg

Moved to metal.

20201026_173912.jpg

Primed, painted and trimmed.

20201030_160411.jpg

Originally installed breaker on top of the stock fuse box, but decided I didn't like that. Created a plate that mounts to the top of the battery bracket to hold three breakers. Still need to finish up the final connections but ran out of time today. The relay panel and it's built in fuse will run through the solenoid that's driven by the ACC circuit. The 8 fuse Blue Sea block will be always on. This will provide options as I add future accessories.

20201030_183128.jpg

Nice. I started a CAD (cardboard LOL) mock up of one for my truck.

How do you have the right side supported? I am thinking about running a bracket down to the inner fender for support.

Nice. I started a CAD (cardboard LOL) mock up of one for my truck.

How do you have the right side supported? I am thinking about running a bracket down to the inner fender for support.

Attached to the inner fender using two unused threaded holes. On the right side i bent a bracket that goes down to a factory bolt that was holding...something. I'll get some pictures tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom