Tundra CrewMax

snip They always answer the phone and are more than happy to talk.
Yeah, what's up with that? With that sort of business ethic they'll never make it in the fabrication business... ;)

...where the typical model is not answering the phone, and when they do they're rushed, surly, and with a noisy background of air hammers obscuring every other word. Ask me how I know... :D

Sean I also just received both front and rear bumpers for mine. I would appreciate any heads up on things to look out for when installing

Sweet. Which ones did you get?

Currently transferring in O’hare so I’m putting two strings on my finger as reminders. One, give you an adequate response. Two, finally order those Rotopax cans. Day job has had me on the road every week for the past 4 weeks and there’s a possibilty of a last minute flight next week to South Carolina, for a two hour meeting. Arg. So burned out. Give me the weekend to catch my breath.

Sweet. Which ones did you get?

Currently transferring in O’hare so I’m putting two strings on my finger as reminders. One, give you an adequate response. Two, finally order those Rotopax cans. Day job has had me on the road every week for the past 4 weeks and there’s a possibilty of a last minute flight next week to South Carolina, for a two hour meeting. Arg. So burned out. Give me the weekend to catch my breath.

I got the storm trooper front and rear swing out rear the same as you

I got the storm trooper front and rear swing out rear the same as you

Rad. You're going to love them.

For the front, there are not too many gotchas but here's what I noticed. The frame mounts don't totally line up over the King brackets for the reservoirs. The bolts from the side fit in just fine once you drill the extra hole. The ones from the bottom were the issue. I had to drill them out just a bit. On the side bolts, you'll see a couple of plastic covers in the frame. Pop those out. There's a good chance the Expedition One bolts will fit and you won't have to drill anything.

The next issue is just plain awkwardness. When you mount the bumper, there are 4 bolts for either side. Getting a wrench and socket in there is an act of contortionism. Not sure if that's a real word but I'm going with it. Watch your knuckles on the brace across the radiator. I left a little skin there from slipping wrenches.

For leveling, I measured off the outside corners, 3/4". They recommended a 1/2 but to me, it seems 3/4 fit a bit better.

If you're stuffing a winch in it, it's going to be a tight fit. I put in a Superwinch Talon 12.5 and there is not a lot of room. You will need some sort of wireless winch controller because the controller port will be unreachable once you put the grill back on. You can get to it but you'll have to be under the truck to reach it. I found that out when I spooled up the line a couple of weeks ago. Wireless controller is sitting on my work bench.

The rear mounts up much easier than the front. Pulling the rear bumper off is the biggest pain. The trailer harness may gave you a bit of grief coming out but will fit into the Expedition One bumper just fine. You may have to whack it a bit with a rubber mallet to get it fully seated. I did not have sonar holes drilled into mine so I pulled out the entire wiring harness. Once you do that, you will lose power to the license plate lights. You should have received new lights with the bumper. I wired the new lights to the parking light wire in the tail lights. Here's the wiring diagram that came out of my Haynes manual. License plate power wire goes to green in the taillight assembly. It's a super easy wiring run.

taillight wiring.jpg

Once you've got the bumper on, it will be mostly aligned. Time to put on the swing outs. I greased up the bearings with Buzz's Slick Honey which is what I use on bearings and stuff with my bikes. Great stuff. The little O rings go on the aluminum caps. The nut for the swing outs, as you've seen, is huge. If you crank it too tight, you'll feel the bearings bind so find the sweet spot.

The clearance from the swing out to the tailgate is really tight. When I first put it on, they were practically touching. I loosened the bumper mounting bolts, opened the swing outs, then hung on and pulled out and down. The bumper moved just enough and now I have between 1/4 and 1/2" clearance on both swing outs. It's going to take some finagling. Take your time.

Put the aluminum grate on last and find a zen mode for all of the allen bolts. There's a lot of them.

On the tire carrier, you'll have to loosen the bolts and extend it all the way. Again, it's a contortionist act with the wrenches. A 35x12.5x18 just barely fits.

Let me know if you have any further questions or need pictures of anything.

Back
Top Bottom