How well does the 1HZ perform with the 255/85 mud terrains and 4.11 gears? Are major road grades an issue with maintaining the speed limit? Your truck looks great, I will get to see it at ARV this year right?

-Andy

How well does the 1HZ perform with the 255/85 mud terrains and 4.11 gears? Are major road grades an issue with maintaining the speed limit? Your truck looks great, I will get to see it at ARV this year right?

-Andy

It does fine around town and at highway speeds. It's a tad slower accelerating than my Tacoma, but much better at maintaining speed on mild grades. I can't say that I've done many long steep grades at highway speeds, but didn't notice any issue during my time on the expressways in Japan. It happily chugs along at 75 mph ...as long as you don't mind waiting a bit to get there. ;) As far as seeing it, I'm not sure. I'd like to bring the Cruiser to ARV, but the Tacoma is darn near perfect as a multi day base camp... we will see.

Also of note: When replacement time comes around, I don't see myself sticking with the 255/85R16 sizing on this vehicle. I will probably move to 285/75R16's to gain A/T tire options rather than strictly M/T. I'd switch to an A/T on the Tacoma too, but still feel the tall skinny size is best option on it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I can certainly understand taking the Tacoma to ARV. The 1HZ seems to be a great engine for a naturally aspirated diesel and I was curious to hear your experience with it.

-Andy

Thanks for the reply. I can certainly understand taking the Tacoma to ARV. The 1HZ seems to be a great engine for a naturally aspirated diesel and I was curious to hear your experience with it.

-Andy

No worries. The 1HZ could benefit from some extra power (I will be addressing that in the future with a mild turbo setup), but it isn't nearly as gutless as it's made out to be. A lot of my decision in vehicles for ARV will be dependent on my ability to have my needs covered for traveling and camping out of the 70 by that date. I'd be happy to backpack out of it like I did in Japan, but I know my wife is not keen to the idea of a bivy sack and sleep pad... nor am I really if in the proximity of many other campers.

I have been doing a lot of planning in my head about what will work best in regards to the limited interior space. The focus is balancing making camp comfortable but keeping things light. A few of my thoughts and current status:

-A roof rack is on the way to help with storage needs (Bikes, Kayaks, etc.)
-No plans or desire for a RTT on this vehicle
-Planning on modular storage that can easily be configured for trips and quickly unloaded in camp. I don't want permanently installed drawers.
-I want to fit everything onboard while maintaining the use of all seating positions. The rear seats will not be removed or need to be folded forward out of necessity to carry gear.

-Planning on modular storage that can easily be configured for trips and quickly unloaded in camp. I don't want permanently installed drawers.
-I want to fit everything onboard while maintaining the use of all seating positions. The rear seats will not be removed or need to be folded forward out of necessity to carry gear.

Fascinating. These are my exact thoughts when brainstorming my Jeep's layout. Utility, capacity and multi-role capability are key.

Exactly... :popcorn

Worlds_largest_Swiss_Army_knife_wenger_giant_knife.jpg

Fascinating. These are my exact thoughts when brainstorming my Jeep's layout. Utility, capacity and multi-role capability are key.

Also interesting considering that we have similar interior space availability. I had a feeling we would reach similar conclusions... One of the reasons I've been particularly interested in your direction with the JL. With the Cruiser, my thought has been: why have a four door vehicle just to make it suitable for only 2 people? Either load up a couple tents, load one, or just toss in a bivy. Simple and much more flexible than the Tacoma where seating is pretty much limited to 2. Sure, it will beat a tent in comfort, but it often tethers me to camp rather than giving the flexibility to venture off. This setup will cut that cord for me.

Think lighter guys.... Room for 4, and everything weights 2.2lbs, incl the guy lines!

36489536102_3c09f68fa9_b.jpg

But I have been on this same kick, I have the big ass truck for comfort and the light fast 4r. Need to get that dialed in.....

Think lighter guys.... Room for 4, and everything weights 2.2lbs, incl the guy lines!

36489536102_3c09f68fa9_b.jpg

But I have been on this same kick, I have the big ass truck for comfort and the light fast 4r. Need to get that dialed in.....

That's all well and good for that location and I be happy to do that there, but camp like that at an established National Park Campground.

That's all well and good for that location and I be happy to do that there, but camp like that at an established National Park Campground.

Or up in the Northwoods...

bzzzzzzzzz bzzzzzzzzzzz bug city

Sure, it will beat a tent in comfort, but it often tethers me to camp rather than giving the flexibility to venture off. This setup will cut that cord for me.

Exactly. The ability to establish a base of operations and still be able to venture off is great. I always hated that with the FlipPac and the Four Wheel camper. Once deployed, there you are.

Exactly. The ability to establish a base of operations and still be able to venture off is great. I always hated that with the FlipPac and the Four Wheel camper. Once deployed, there you are.

It was always easy enough for me to pack up within 10 mins and being ready to roll, but the questions would always pop in my head...

-Will I be able to come back to the same spot or will I need to find a new one?
-Will I have to scramble to get ready to cook dinner?
-Will I be doing all of the above in the dark?

It always became easy for me to talk myself out of driving away from base camp. Lamborfeetys or Chevrolegs were my only escape. The bike will help, but it would sure be nice to do some 4wheeling again.

Fascinating*2.
I came to a similar conclusion after removing the 2nd row seat in the Land Cruiser for an extended trip planned last year. Modular storage is key to multi purpose use. We should probably start a new thread that is independent of your build thread to discuss this approach.

-Andy

Fascinating*2.
I came to a similar conclusion after removing the 2nd row seat in the Land Cruiser for an extended trip planned last year. Modular storage is key to multi purpose use. We should probably start a new thread that is independent of your build thread to discuss this approach.

-Andy

I'm interested to follow this as well. Our Sequoia is huge, but with our upcoming move putting us closer to family we may find ourselves using the third row for the first time ever. I've been brainstorming some modular setups for these instances.

I just bought a 1990 HZJ77, looking at options for headlights. Are the J.W. Speaker 8700 Evolution 2 plug and play or did they require modifications? Especially with the 24v system.

Back
Top Bottom