Truck tent - thoughts?

Ryan Avery

Adventurist
Hi everyone,

I drive an '07 F-250 truck, and I thought of adding a sort of tent to it to better meet my travelling needs. I've seen different options, and my wife thinks we need a capper, yet for now I don't think I am ready to invest into a camper/RV for now. So I was thinking on an add-on tent for my truck, using which we will not have to sleep in the truck. The first thing I considered is a truck bed tent. The one that you install into/above the truck bed and sleep in/above the bed. With the tent that is in the truck bed you loose that precious storage space, or you will have to remove everything from the bed prior to tent installation, which is also so-so. The tents that mount over the bed seem to have to complicated construction, yet as long as you can remove this construction when the truck is just a daily driver it's okay for me (but I am still not sure, whether these constructions are that easily removable). The next type of tents I was thinking of is a roof-mount tent. I see a huge plus in this construction, as you get an awning where you can store your stuff hidder from the rain/sun/people. Yet the drawback, as for me, is time that you will need to install the tent, as you need to set up base first, and only then work on tent an awning, which is time. Plus, it requires some tools as I've seen in the installation videos. And the 3rd option which I am still unsure about is the exterior tent, like the ones that are attached to the side of the RVs and campers. I was thinking about the same thing but for the truck.

These are my thoughts, folks. Now, I wanted to ask you share your thoughts about these tents, as I have too little experience in car tents and stuff to finally pick one option. Cheers!

A few years ago we used a truck tent (that goes in the bed) in our utility trailer. Worked ok for me alone, me and me son, but got too small when my wife came along. It was a relatively easy set up and was good to be up off the ground. The tent does not stay set up in the bed when traveling, you pack it away just like any ground tent, Or you can unstrap it and slide it to the ground, then remount it when you return to the campsite. Makes for a low entry price into getting off the ground camping.

Last edited:
Okay, I see, thanks for commenting on this tent! Last night I've read a lot about different truck tents on the expedition portal, and at the moment I believe, that the roof mount tent is way better option, than the other two. Yet, I am still not 100% positive about what tent I need haha
I've never thought, that the choise will be that complicated....

Maybe a RTT mounted on a bed rack would work for you? That way you don't lose bed space. If you do it like a friend of mine it travels lowered behind the can then lift it up for camping!

I think a quality ground tent might be your best bet. With any truck mounted tent you'll have to pack up every time you want to go somewhere, be it the store, sight seeing, etc. That, and I prefer a tent that I can stand up in (I'm old and my doc says I'm fat, and I hate crawling around in a short tent). One other issue with a vehicle mounted tent is at most campgrounds you have to park in the "parking area" of the camp site, rather than in the campsite itself. Life is a compromise, do what works for YOU!

Had a truck bed tent for a minute.

You will have to unload everything from the bed to set up the tent. If you are staying in a spot for a few days. It is OK. To unload and load everyday gets old.

Get thick pads as the truck beds peaks and valleys are felt through thinner pads.

Nice to be off the ground.

If I had to do it over again and stay with a tent. I'd get a high quality ground tent instead.

Back
Top Bottom