Travel kitchen ideas

I decided to go with the Wolf Pack container and somehow in my 0400 daily wake up routine ordered two of them instead of one. They arrived quickly and went through the wife-inspection control testing. They seem like they will get the job done and I like the way they stack. The lids don't seem to be very sturdy so I will have to be careful that nothing heavy gets placed on the top of them. As far as stacking them they are super solid with plenty of ways to securely tie them down. I like the idea of the drain holes in them but my wife was concerned about creepy crawlies getting into them if we have food in one. My idea was to go to the auto store and get a couple of flat grommets with the end to push through. I was looking at the extended top they sell and thought it might be a good idea. Maybe someone will have one at the Mtn Rendezvous I can check out.

I drilled out the drain holes on my Wolf Packs to fit these to plug the holes.

I'd start with a bit slightly larger than the hole already there. Work you way up test fitting the plugs. Don't go larger that 1/4".

Last edited:
I decided to go with the Wolf Pack container and somehow in my 0400 daily wake up routine ordered two of them instead of one. They arrived quickly and went through the wife-inspection control testing. They seem like they will get the job done and I like the way they stack. The lids don't seem to be very sturdy so I will have to be careful that nothing heavy gets placed on the top of them. As far as stacking them they are super solid with plenty of ways to securely tie them down. I like the idea of the drain holes in them but my wife was concerned about creepy crawlies getting into them if we have food in one. My idea was to go to the auto store and get a couple of flat grommets with the end to push through. I was looking at the extended top they sell and thought it might be a good idea. Maybe someone will have one at the Mtn Rendezvous I can check out.

Just get South African ammo boxes. They stack well with high loads. They're made to carry large quantities of small arms ammo, which as we know, gets heavy. It's more than twice the capacity of a standard American .50 cal can.

mc05-01.jpg

Just get South African ammo boxes. They stack well with high loads. They're made to carry large quantities of small arms ammo, which as we know, gets heavy. It's more than twice the capacity of a standard American .50 cal can.

mc05-01.jpg

Front Runner Wolf Packs are SA ammo boxes. Just with a logo and probably costing more :p

The problem I had was finding a seller of them. I even contacted SA retailer who sells them. R159.00 is about $11.20. Shipping costs made the difference between FR and these a moot point.

If you have a different source please share!

Even entertained the idea of a group buy from these guys for SA ammo boxes. They'd even do a logo. Shipping & customs, warehousing a bunch of empty boxes, all eat into any gain of doing so.

I drilled out the drain holes on my Wolf Packs to fit these to plug the holes.

I'd start with a bit slightly larger than the hole already there. Work you way up test fitting the plugs. Don't go larger that 1/4".

For some reason I just saw this. Thanks for the idea as something like that was what I was thinking about.

Did you really order this stuff from overseas? Frontrunner in CA sells everything.............

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/us/
And if that was directed at me my answer is also "no".

But I did look into it. The exchange rate between the SA Rand and the US Dollar means that they cost around $11.00. The cost of shipping empty boxes negates any gain unless it's done in bulk and as you already pointed out. Someone is already doing that :)

Back
Top Bottom