Trading up (in weight)

I got a wake up call on the trip to expo this year. Smacked the front diff HARD on a boulder while night wheeling to our first campsite. I think the ARB diff covers are in order for my truck, along with 4.10 gears. I'll take time to think on the decision, though. Its hard to justify lockers in a truck that can't fit down most of the hard stuff.
Check out the Carli Different cover, I have hit mine harder than I care to admit and it works great. Been well worth the money to me. I have the rock crusher rear cover, but I don't think it is made anymore

I love my 06 CTD, leveled but not lifted. Fits 315-70 17 tries fine. I have found it's actually less maintenance than a gasser! It has open diffs front and rear but didn't need a tow out of Mormon Lake. It gets great fuel mileage even pulling my 3,000 lb trailer. I have installed an exhaust brake, hydraulic winch and 200psi OBA. Maybe some day I will but a locker on the rear but so far haven't seen the need for it. Oh, and I have put a carli diff cover on the front that has taken some hits with no damage to the diff.

Check out the Carli Different cover, I have hit mine harder than I care to admit and it works great. Been well worth the money to me. I have the rock crusher rear cover, but I don't think it is made anymore

That Carli guard is a beefy looking piece! But there have been many changes to the trucks, I don't think what they offer will fit the new trucks? Carli's site says the diff guards go up to 2012. Guessing they have a new part in development.

So, to summarize. Diesels are awesome, but I need to put 7k to 10k in it to get it to the same capability level as the Power Wagon. Skids, suspension, lockers, winch, etc. That buys a lot of gasoline...

So, to summarize. Diesels are awesome, but I need to put 7k to 10k in it to get it to the same capability level as the Power Wagon. Skids, suspension, lockers, winch, etc. That buys a lot of gasoline...

pretty much

I needed the extra range (basically as a result of significantly better mpg in the diesel trucks), and need the extra towing capacity for dragging the little trucks to the park to go play.

These came higher on my priority list than capability in technical terrain.

It really boils down to building a truck for your needs, not someone else's, and making the appropriate equipment decisions. I get around more than many, but usually stick to soft roads rather than seeking out technical challenges. I've learned that I don't find technical challenges too often now that I've stopped looking for them. ;-)

Yes, if that is what you are going for. I will say, for ME, and my preffered trail difficulty, I've gotten everywhere I need to go with basically a bone stock 2500 Diesel long bed, with a slight 2" leveling spring kit up front, and a factory limited slip in the rear, but I'm not looking to hit hard rock trails. It all depends on how hard you want to wheel and what you're looking to get out of your vehicle if you "need" a power wagon or not.

Like Mike said, the important thing is to decide what you want to do with the truck, once you have figured that out. The details of the truck will most likely fall into place pretty quickly

Dodge's don't have a factory locker similar to the Gov-Loc G80 option in GM products? Virtually every GMC/Chevy HD has that option. It's not ALWAYS a good thing, but it does work. With our '05 Rubicon, I've learned that I prefer selectable lockers over auto lockers if I have a choice. That's probably another story for another thread though.

Gas/diesel...as much as I like my '06 Dmax, the complication and issues I've seen (at least on GM products) has steered me away from the new 2015 GM diesel's. I've had two customers trucks go into limp mode due to fuel quality/regeneration/DEF injector issues while towing boats from San Diego to Cabo. We travel to Baja too often for me to take that chance. My '06 looks like it's going to be my keeper truck for a while. If something were to happen to this truck, I think I'd have to go with a gas engine in a new truck.

Yep, and not all diesels are awesome, sometimes they are pain (extreme cold, fuel sensitivity, etc). As much as I have been a fan of light-truck diesels, my last two builds were gassers, but I'm now back to a diesel.

Modern gas engines are damn good, relatively simple, and require minimal maintenance or "tune ups" (no cap, rotor, plug wires, or fuel filter to replace, etc.). Torque and power are UP! One comparison I like to make in favor of gas trucks involves my recent Tundra project...

The 5.7L V8 Tundra makes as much torque as a first gen. Dodge/Cummins, and much more horsepower. The 10.5" rear ring gear is larger than the 10.25" ring gear on my '96 F-350, and the brakes are far superior. There are not too many "bad" new trucks.

That Carli guard is a beefy looking piece! But there have been many changes to the trucks, I don't think what they offer will fit the new trucks? Carli's site says the diff guards go up to 2012. Guessing they have a new part in development.

I couldn't find the Carli diff guard for 2014+ trucks on Carli's site, but did find it after clicking on an add here at AA. :)

http://www.cjcoffroad.com/2013-Carli-Dodge-Ram-2500-3500-Components-s/1631.htm

Of course it's also on Carli's site, I didn't click the correct link...

http://www.carlisuspension.com/dodge-ram/components_2014/index.html

Last edited:
I'll hold out for an ARB cover when it's available. I want those little fill and drain plugs.

I'll hold out for an ARB cover when it's available. I want those little fill and drain plugs.

I agree with that Mr. Leary. I've always had drain and fill holes on my heavy-duty trucks in the past , mostly with Mag-Hytec diff covers. I would not be surprised if Mag-Hytec develops thier diff covers first. Aluminum and maybe not as heavy duty, but I ran them front and rear on my F-350 for many years, including much off-highway travel, some bumps and scrapes, etc., and never an issue.

I guess I could summarize my intended uses this way:

-Pure adventure vehicle, I drive a put-put to work every day.
-Haul family of 4 and all the toys/comfort items that go with that.
-Gets everywhere that a full size body will fit and can self rescue
-Reliable under all consitions from alpine to desert.
-Not a rock crawler, not a pre runner.
-Best suspension articulation possible.

To me, sounds like you can do what you want with either a diesel or gas 2500, or a powerwagon. Next question is, how important is fuel mileage range?

If you could live with the mileage, hands down my first and only choice would be a Power Wagon. There is not much you would need to do to it. Downside is the Hemi is thirsty.

If you could live with the mileage, hands down my first and only choice would be a Power Wagon. There is not much you would need to do to it. Downside is the Hemi is thirsty.
I'm with Mike on this one. I've said it before, had I known my 2500 cummins was going to transform into an overland vehicle, I would have started with a power wagon, but my trucks first part of its life was strictly a tow rig for my jeep/trailer combo, so at the time the diesel was a better choice. Don't get me wrong, I still love the diesel for all it gives me in the power and torque dept. As well as extended fuel range, but as far as serious off road trails, it's far from being a contender.

snip...

It would appear than many full-size trucks could work for you...as long as the cabs are large enough to be comfortable for your family. Though I agree with the others regarding a heavy-duty of some type, with your last point about articulation at the fore, I'd vote for a live-axle truck. However, there are so many other variables that go into chassis selection that 'articulation' may or may not end up being a deal-breaker/maker for you. A really big factor is if you are buying new or used, which I assume you already have an answer for...new choice is almost unlimited though expensive, used options can be more difficult.

Some specific examples I can share were part of my shopping for a new gas-powered 1/2 ton [I'm not a fan of the arguably outdated 1/2, 3/4, 1-ton monikers, but they they are sometimes still descriptive], pickup in 2011. I had quickly and easily narrowed my search to the Toyota Tundra or Ford F-150 with a 3.5L EcoBoost engine, a relatively new power-plant at the time. Living and regularly traveling at 5,000'+, I'm a fan of forced induction engines, which for me have always been turbo-diesels.

In the F-150's favor was the EcoBoost, available OEM rear locker, gear ratios choices, and the extra control offered on their A/T [I'm a manual tranny fan, but couldn't get a manual in either truck.] Negatives included black interior and 20" wheels (on the Fx4 package), and fewer aftermarket, backcountry-focused choices for suspension and armor. The Tundra offered no OE locker, also had black interior with the (discontinued) Rock Warrior package I wanted, no forced induction, and probably less mpg and range.

After decades as a US-made full-size truck guy, I'd recently built a V8 4Runner, and loved the overall quality, feel, and aftermarket support for the Toyota platforms as compared to the Ford. The Rock Warrior package included less frills (I'm okay with cloth over leather seating), and forged aluminum OE 17" wheels with 33" tires. Though not a huge factor, in May 2011, there were some good rebates on the Tundra, so for what I wanted the Tundra was a few thousand less. The turning radius/wheel cut was also great on the Tundra, not sure how the F-150 compared there.

They were both "low riders" stock, like many base model 1/2 ton 4WDs. While the Tundra did offer more ground clearance if my memory is correct, both would need suspension mods, which is not always the case with taller, heavy-duty pickups. Both were IFS. I choose the Tundra, and in my most comprehensive buildup to date, corrected most if not all of its weakness, and have been largely happy with the platform.

The negatives for my use are that I've become a fan of slide-in popup campers—which if highly optioned weigh much more than many know or admit—and the short bed on the CrewMax body. The CrewMax cab is absolutely huge and comfortable, and though I prefer a longer bed I didn't/don't care for the "Double-Cab" Tundra cab styling. I've also since returned to my roots, with a manual tranny diesel pickup that I enjoy driving, a slightly longer bed, and better payload and range. (Better range stock-to-stock, but because that Tundra has a large, aftermarket tank, that is no longer an issue.)

I like the '14 Ram enough that it actually has helped me look at the Power Wagon platform that is being recomneded here, but they are pricey, and I'd rather drive the stick-shift Cummins most of the time, for less money.

James

I was thinking of a second tank to avoid Gerry cans on any truck that I get. The best mileage I had heard on the Weapon Carrier was 14 with a mix of on and off Hwy driving. Most reviewers seemed to be in the 12 or 13 range. My brother gets ~17 in his Diesel 2500. Not an earth shattering difference. Every time I go look at something other than a Wagon I remember the dual lockers, 2in factory lift, and included winch. Stuff I don't have to convince the wife to buy later... So I can buy lights, and bumpers, and a snorkel, and make an expedition rack...

The list is endless.

It looks like they have a "Tradesman Power Wagon" available now, which means less electronic add-ons and a more Spartan interior, and the price point comes in only $4k or so over what you would pay for a Tradesman with the Cummins.

Back
Top Bottom