Trading up (in weight)

Nissan makes two kinds of vehicles - sexy or ugly. The Z cars have always been sexy. The gods in Nippon smote this mightily with the mother of all ugly sticks.

But I think I'm going to like it, and wish Toyota would take notice. Some seriously cool things going on in the Nissan truck division in regards to powertrains and in cab features.

facebook-like.jpg.png

- - - Updated - - -

..., I'd do a power wagon, as it comes pretty well optioned with lockers and such for exploring...

I'd recommend a 3rd gen diesel because you aren't stuck dealing with DEF and such that the new diesels have to deal with.

facebook-like.jpg.png

I loved my Titan, it just didn't have the GVWR for the camper I wanted.

Should I be offended? :D

d5237a8c767ac91c92ddc43f962731bc.jpg

Sorry Steve, but someone had to tell you, and since you are a big guy I think it was best coming from Dave

- - - Updated - - -

What is the feedback on straight front Axel v.s. IFS?

I think this is one of those debates that will never have a true conclusion. They both have strong points and week points

What is the feedback on straight front Axel v.s. IFS?

I bought my F350 specifically because I wanted a diesel, and a straight axle/leaf sprung truck (its an 04).. Fewer parts to go wrong/wear out. BUT that being said, its a big heavy truck and is limited in what I can get it into anyway. I don't feel I've done any off-road travels with it, that my IFS F150 couldn't do, and while I haven't had that truck long, other than a torn CV boot, I've not had any issues with it. IFS will ride smoother on the road also. Its another variable that will come down to your use. If most of your traveling is over pavement or simple dirt/fire roads.. IFS should serve you fine, and be more comfortable doing it. IMO.

In short, the largest drawback that I see in IFS trucks is lack of steering dampening, meaning if you drive off pavement your steering rack is getting the crap beaten out of it. Other than that, there isn't much difference any more IMO. There have been significant improvements to diff and axle strength, along with greater wheel travel in recent years.

So what does that mean? To me it means that if i intend to increase tire size more than one increment above stock, I want a solid axle. If I'm sticking closer to stock, then the benefits of IFS exceed the drawbacks.

As an owner of a power wagon I have to say I love the Dodge Platform. My advice is if you are going to go Dodge and you want a "pre built" package, the Power wagon is the way to go, but I would recommend a 3rd gen over a 4th gen. If I had the money though, the wagon would be gone and I would get an early 2007 Diesel (5.9, not the new 6.7) then put on the Mercenary Offroad Bumper, ARB lockers, and however much Carli / Thuren suspension as I can afford

I have pretty close to what you are describing... Basically a PW with a Cummins, except the frame doesn't flex as much as a PW's. I am still learning the potential of my truck... Rediculous room, I can fold the back seats flat and a queen size blow up mattress fits perfect. LOTs of room for kids, like not within arms reach room. Upgrades, how deep are your pockets?

I have pretty close to what you are describing... Basically a PW with a Cummins, except the frame doesn't flex as much as a PW's. I am still learning the potential of my truck... Rediculous room, I can fold the back seats flat and a queen size blow up mattress fits perfect. LOTs of room for kids, like not within arms reach room. Upgrades, how deep are your pockets?

Rad, I think that is what the Wife is expecting. I am fine with cloth and rhino liner, but I think she wants leather...

I expect to replace the bumpers to help with approach and departure angles, add tire carrier, light racks, snorkel, expedition rack, and go lights.

Thanks for the great thread guys. I have a lot to think about.

;)

In short, the largest drawback that I see in IFS trucks is lack of steering dampening, meaning if you drive off pavement your steering rack is getting the crap beaten out of it. Other than that, there isn't much difference any more IMO. There have been significant improvements to diff and axle strength, along with greater wheel travel in recent years.

So what does that mean? To me it means that if i intend to increase tire size more than one increment above stock, I want a solid axle. If I'm sticking closer to stock, then the benefits of IFS exceed the drawbacks.
Great point. :cool:

As an owner of a power wagon I have to say I love the Dodge Platform. My advice is if you are going to go Dodge and you want a "pre built" package, the Power wagon is the way to go, but I would recommend a 3rd gen over a 4th gen. If I had the money though, the wagon would be gone and I would get an early 2007 Diesel (5.9, not the new 6.7) then put on the Mercenary Offroad Bumper, ARB lockers, and however much Carli / Thuren suspension as I can afford

Better not let the winch mob hear you say that......I love my 06 CTD!

Better not let the winch mob hear you say that......I love my 06 CTD!

Dont get me wrong, I love my Wagon, just wish it had the Cummins. The Hemi has been a great motor, but a bit more would be nice with larger tires, and the Hemi is thirsty. You are right though, don't let the Winch Mob here me say that.

icon_winchmob2.gif

LOL oh ok.... One thing I do like about having the Cummins up front besides the obvious is the weight, definately helps with traction.

Joining the conversation and adding my $0.03

snip...

So I come to the font of wisdom and BS for your opinions. I have been considering the following:

1. 2014 or 2015 Power wagon.
2. 2015 Ram 1500 Rebel w/ Ecodiesel
3. Tundra (Distant 3rd)

Please defend your opinions to the death...

1- I like the idea of a Power Wagon, OE lockers, winch, and skids (even if they are thin) are cool. Also like heavy-duty pickups as they are generally taller, sometimes tall enough to not need a lift or aftermarket suspension.

2- The new Rams have appeal, I like the styling inside and out, I have a 2500. As a long-time diesel fan the EcoDiesel interests me... but likely not enough to pull me away from my beloved Cummins brand.

3- Built a nice 2011 Tundra, and as it is currently setup it's a very capable and comfortable trail/backcountry vehicle, better than my '14 Ram 2500. But I like the Ram much because I enjoy driving a manual transmission diesel, and it's a better slide-in camper hauler. My long-term relationship with the Tundra is in question.

I have not heard good feedback on the 1500 diesel, basically revolving around it not being able to pull anything more than it's own weight and fuel saving evaporate.

Maybe so, it ain't no Cummins ;)

I don't know how a tundra would drive modded out, but as a daily driver/long road trip truck, I have found my 2013 double cab kicks ass. It is very powerful, which would help if you are doing bigger tires, lots of gear , etc. I would not call it nimble, but I would not call anything full size nimble.

Agree, full-size truck are not "nimble", but they can get families most places that were not sought simply because of the challenge.

My lifted and very modified Tundra drives very well, but I won't tolerate less.

personally, I think the 4th gen is much better looking, but the way the body is built in the front, the 4th gen does not have as much clearance up front so the approach angle is not as good, I believe the wheelbase is a bit longer as well. The 3rd gen will almost clear 35's stock there is a bit of rubbing on the control arms, but it just barely scuffs the paint, on the 4th gen it is a lot more pronounced. There is also more aftermarket available on the 3rd gen, thought there is more and more for the 4th gen everyday. Electronics wise they are pretty much the same. The 2015 does get the 6.1L Hemi as opposed to the 5.7 in the 3rd gen, but I have never had a situation where the 5.7 did not have enough power.

Good points. I too really like the lines of the 4th Gen Ram. I wasn't paying close attention until I bought one, then I realized they are damn nice looking rigs. The styling borders on classic for such a modern vehicle.

Crew/Quad cab wheelbase changed from 140" to 149"-ish I believe, more room in the back seat, pretty sure the beds are the same 6.4'

Tire width is key of course, I'm running the narrow, 285/75R18 Toyo A/T II on OE wheels, no lift and no rubbing.

Coming from a guy who has a 4th gen... The DEF is not a big deal at all. The combination of two other things is a big deal. The not so good approach angle along with poor visibility over the hood make it very difficult to wheel.

Agreed on DEF. I was against it and hesitant to buy a new diesel because of the complex emissions systems. But that was largely because I owned a great, still serviceable, relatively low mileage '96 7.3L F-350, so why buy a new one with tons of emissions junk on it...? Because it's a new truck, and new trucks are nice(er), and luckily for me they seem to have it sorted. My Ram/6.7L is only one year old with 10k on it, great so far.

Also agree visibility over the bow is terrible. I've owned and driven many full-sized trucks over the past few decades, and this 4th Gen Ram is poor compared to all the others. The Tundra I mentioned in my previous post has a very short nose, even if you can't really see the rounded corners, plus a very tight aftermarket bumper w/ winch. Much better approach and visibility.

In short, the largest drawback that I see in IFS trucks is lack of steering dampening, meaning if you drive off pavement your steering rack is getting the crap beaten out of it.

True. One of my concerns with the longevity of the two Toyotas I've built has been the steering rack. I don't have enough miles/wear on either to be concerned about replacing them, yet. But my guess is that around 100k, IF one actually spends lots of time off-highway, that the IFS/rack-and-pinion might need more expensive and complicated maintenance than a recirculating ball setup. Heck, when my 4Runner was new and young I was using it pretty hard and wore out the inner tie-rod-ends before 40k! It has had a more comfortable adolescence.

However, as much as I love/prefer a live-axle truck, and my '14 Ram is the best driving reticulating ball rig I've owned/driven...I love the tight, precise, responsiveness of rank-and-pinion in most conditions, certainly on-pavement, and the one in my well used 4Runner with 75k on the clock still seems great.

Other than that, there isn't much difference any more IMO. There have been significant improvements to diff and axle strength, along with greater wheel travel in recent years.

Wheel travel can be very good, but I still prefer the articulation and contact pressure offered by a good live-axle rig over IFS, particularly when climbing hills. For this reason I find that having a locker(s) (or really good traction control, or both) for technical terrain is more desirable for an IFS truck compared to a straight-axle truck. Of course the terrain, loading, and the driver all matter too. My last couple IFS Toyota builds received lockers at both ends, neither rig had one stock (plus 4.88:1 gears), and I love having them.

Currently the plan is to leave the Ram diffs as they are. I don't want to dig into them when I don't plan to change gears, and the live-axle articulation and contact pressure, aided by the diesel engine and aftermarket bumper, needs it less.

James

I got a wake up call on the trip to expo this year. Smacked the front diff HARD on a boulder while night wheeling to our first campsite. I think the ARB diff covers are in order for my truck, along with 4.10 gears. I'll take time to think on the decision, though. Its hard to justify lockers in a truck that can't fit down most of the hard stuff.

If they get you out of one good stuck they will have paid for themselves.

I got a wake up call on the trip to expo this year. Smacked the front diff HARD on a boulder while night wheeling to our first campsite. I think the ARB diff covers are in order for my truck, along with 4.10 gears. I'll take time to think on the decision, though. Its hard to justify lockers in a truck that can't fit down most of the hard stuff.

Are ARB diff covers available for our trucks? Looking just now I didn't see them?

Back
Top Bottom