Toys for Tots?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not this year.

We've been deliberating this for some time and while I was initially in favor, we have decided that it's in our best interests to let a season pass to allow a clean break between the old management and the new. Expectation management if you will.

Over the years, we watched this event evolve and especially during the ones that we co-sponsored we noted that many people - too many people - were there for 2 things:

The raffle and drinking.

Our intent is to infuse our community ethics into a new event in 2016 that is family friendly and all about giving. It should be pretty awesome in it's own right.

I'm thinking first weekend of December 2016 for our inaugural Christmas Rendezvous.

:santa

Bummer, but totally understandable. Deanna and I were ready to start placing bins at work for donations! Until next year then :)

Bummer, but totally understandable. Deanna and I were ready to start placing bins at work for donations! Until next year then :)
Don't be afraid to still do a collection on your own. I am sure the kids would love it, and you can drop them off at most fire stations

Don't be afraid to still do a collection on your own. I am sure the kids would love it, and you can drop them off at most fire stations

Marine Corps recruiting offices and Reserve stations also accept donations. :)

Will do Cris :) As last year was our first T4T event anywhere, we just wanted to do better than our small donation then. And good to know Yuman! Thanks.

I've decided to hang up my hat, just too busy and it's time to pass the torch. I talked with Dave last year at the T4T2014 about taking over and he wasn't interested. I don't know what all this deliberating and revamping talk is. I haven't talked to him about the event at all in 2015. In fact, i just announced today on FB that i'm wrapping it up. This is all news to me.

I just got off the phone with @adventureduo - we're good.

First off, we're both tired of everybody bitching about Toys for Tots. As Dave announced publicly last year at T4T, he's not doing it anymore. Now it's not happening in 2015 because no one wanted to step up. Me included. Just not enough bandwidth.

I don't agree with the comment on FB by @brentbba about what we plan on doing in 2016 as being a "rebranded" Toys for Tots event. Rebranding implies that we're going to take something and slap a different name on it, a cheap knock off of the original. My intent (as clearly stated above) is to add an event to our schedule of Rendezvous events, each one performs a community service. The Christmas Rendezvous concept will support T4T.

But it's going to be a completely different event and has nothing to do with the past. Not the same vendors, not focused on a raffle, and Dave Druck is retired so let's leave the poor guy alone and stop bugging him about it. There will be absolutely no connection between what he did and what I plan to do.

Folks ask "why did Dave retire?". Because it's a LOT of work. Cal4Wheel did a T4T event for years and they learned that what drove folks was the raffle, take that away and interest drops. You'd think it's about the kids but not so for everyone. They want free stuff. Dave learned this too and he got burned out after doing it for 8 years. I don't blame him. So when I look at lessons learned with these types of events (TDS or Surf and Turf at Pismo being another fine example) I have to think of sustainability. My intent is to do something different with an eye towards sustainability, and bringing the focus back on the kids.

Last edited:
Kudos to both Dave's for past efforts, I don't think anything is standing in the way if someone that wants to do something this year? At the least I would encourage others to gather toys and get them to the nearest collection center, it's about the kids not the party. Just my .02 Besides we all have too many tee shirts!!

Also folks, something like this (or any run/event) can be put together by ANYONE. All you got to do is plan it. If folks are not happy there is not a planned T4T event this year, step up and put one together. Plan it and they will come....

@Dave - My intent was never to imply that rebranding was a 'cheap' knock off. I will apologize as well if that's the way you took it. Many of us are aware of you two Dave's talking about one retiring and the other taking over and that was my only intent given your announcement about Christmas Rendevous - an inference of some tie between the old and new event. Your events, like Dave Druck's with his Toys for Tots requires a great deal of time and effort that all of us in the community recognize and applaud. My intent was an implication that Toys for Tots would be the focus of what you and your conspirators may have up your sleeves for 'Christmas Rendezvous' and we'll all look forward to 2016. In the mean time, I hope we'll all find a local Toys for Tots drop off and continue the support for this movement as that was the main focus of T4T!

I know Mountain Rendezvous proceeds go to BSA. Did not know each Rendezvous supported a charity? Desert Rendezvous? I know we've done BLM clean up for them which has been fantastic, but I wouldn't call BLM a charity.

BLM is not the charity per say but keeping the BLM lands clean keeps them open for all of us to use, so in effect the charity is anyone who uses the BLM land. Basically giving back to the people.

I'm a bean counter. :eek: ;) Charity = 501c3 company (IRS defined tax exempt charitable entity like BSA) :rolleyes:

I do, however, believe in giving back to other users with exercises like the BLM clean up...even for the dolts that made the mess in the first place. :D

Now on to the holidays! :)

First off, I want to offer a great bit THANK YOU to Dave and Yoshi (and everyone else involved) for coordinating this event in the past! We have attended several and have always had a good time.

To us it's not about the raffle or the drinking (OK, the drinking with friends we only see a few times a year is great). If anything, the prize for most donated toys is the only prize that matters. We collect toys at my business for several weeks ahead of the event and are always excited to bring them out the these events. Although we have never won the coveted "Most Toys Donated" award we enjoy the challenge.

We will be collecting toys again this year and will be dropping them off to the Marines on Camp Pendleton for them to distribute.

We look forward to new Toys 4 Tots Christmas event in 2016, but until then I would like to encourage everyone to to collect and donate, even though there are no raffle prizes to be won.

Hope everyone has a joyous holiday season filled with family, friends and generosity.

I talked to Dave earlier and thanked him for all of their ( Dave , Yoshi and Dixie ) years of hard work doing the T4T and bringing joy to children that wouldn't have gotten any toys for Christmas . I've already started collecting toys for this years T4T , so if anyone knows of a good T4T drive please let us know .

We can't wait to hear about the plans for the 2016 Toys for Tots toy drive .

...so if anyone knows of a good T4T drive please let us know...

Most any firestation here in Southern California will accept toys for their "Spark of Love" campaign. That is if you can't find a Marine Corps donation box.

I always give to my local fire station .I was looking more for an off-road group to show our support for T4T . I like to show that off-readers aren't the mean people all the tree huggers and the government tries to make us out to be. If I can't find one , well the fire station by my house is going to get over run with toys .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom