Toyota FT-4X Concept

Trump

Adventurist
Senior Staff
Founding Member
Alright, after teaser shots of the low profile offroad 29" tires we all knew this was coming. Now it's time to tell Toyota what you think.

cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg

Link

More info in this article written by Motor Trend:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/new-...millennial-adventure-box/ar-BBzLetx?ocid=iehp

Looks like Toyota is trying to appeal to the softroader. If there's a market for one I think they need to go more toward the direction of the current Subaru's and bring it to market as a revival of the 4wd Tercel nameplate.

1984_toyota_tercel_4wd_wagon_4.jpg

Stealing design hints from the Land Cruiser lineage to sell a vehicle that is a total departure is shameful.

If they brought back the 4WD Tercel, it would likely become my daily driver.

Last edited:
How is the compact crossover SUV "Recreational Active Vehicle with 4-wheel drive", or RAV4, in AWD (rather full-time 4WD with a Center Differential Lock) with a 4 cylinder engine, or hybrid gas/electric, not already a replacement for the venerable 4WD Tercel 5-door?

The RAV4 is already positioned against the Subaru in the US market - comparatively they share many dimensional and option-related features. Having been in both the Tercel and RAV4 I can say the RAV is an evolutionary and worthy and superior replacement.

2017-Toyota-RAV4-Adventure-1280x860.jpg

How is the compact crossover SUV "Recreational Active Vehicle with 4-wheel drive", or RAV4, in AWD (rather full-time 4WD with a Center Differential Lock) with a 4 cylinder engine, or hybrid gas/electric, not already a replacement for the venerable 4WD Tercel 5-door?

The RAV4 is already positioned against the Subaru in the US market - comparatively they share many dimensional and option-related features. Having been in both the Tercel and RAV4 I can say the RAV is an evolutionary and worthy and superior replacement.

Good point. I think personally I view the RAV4 as more SUV than car so I often look right past, even if that's not correct. Obviously all crossover SUV's share more with their unibody car counterparts than with true body-on-frame SUV's. The Tercel 4wd has such a cult following that I feel Toyota could benefit from hyping up a Subaru type crossover under a revived nameplate. But, as you pointed out, seems they already have that vehicle. Maybe if they made TRD package RAV4? Add a turbocharged engine and FJC style utilitarian interior... and then market it better.

You highlighting this option makes the FT-4X Concept even more absurd to me. All they need to do to reach that demographic is fire their current marketing manager. Of course, maybe millennials will go for the styling... they do seem to like man-buns, skinny jeans, and fixies.

I was just about to post about the Honda Element. Very similar goals it seems. Although it seems Toyota might be aiming for a smaller vehicle.

Looks like crap IMHO, but the big boys don't really care about the off road/overland market, they care about the bottom line.

The Tercel was awesome. I'd love a good one as a DD.
You should get one then. After you do a search for one, come back and tell us what you find... :D It is an iconic vehicle though.

Hint... it wasn't one of Toyota's strongest efforts since the Tercel pictured was a product of factory component/parts bin cobbling. Chief problems were the carburetor and transmission.

Looks like crap IMHO, but the big boys don't really care about the off road/overland market, they care about the bottom line.

To be fair... the FT-4X as described by Toyota, was never intended for our interests. I think many, including myself, were dreaming it would be a proper replacement for the FJC. We tricked ourselves into thinking that Toyota was looking to replace it, but really... they already had with the 4runner. With the current 4R and Tacoma, it's hard to argue that we are ignored.

2017-Toyota-RAV4-Adventure-1280x860.jpg

I would say that in terms of "soft roaders" the AWD Highlander is in this mix somewhere too. Appeals to hipsters and grandma.

Appeals to hipsters

But does it? I'm not sure.

I don't really see the young crowd getting into the RAV4 or Highlander. They seem to fit and market to the family of 4 that merely need practical transportation from A to B (the same thing hipsters need but are too cool to admit). Families turn to crossovers now to avoid the stigma associated with minivans, IMO to their detriment. Everyone seems to ignore how wildly practical todays minivans are for the masses, but I digress. I think Toyota's current offerings could serve what they call the "casualcore"--yes, their word and I vomited a little writing that--crowd with a trim level that projected a little more adventuresome personality.

The TRD Offroad RAV4 could include:

-Hipster exterior color palette with contrasting plastic trim
-"Heavy Duty" recycled plastic interior
-95% useless built in and color matched first aid kit/flashlight
-Turbocharged engine (referred to as Eco-charged or Green-power)
-Fancy looking headlights... LED strips/LASERs
-All terrain low profile tires
-Bluetooth everything

Kidding aside, I really do think that they could better serve that crowd with marketing changes and trim packages. I would guess that it would be a more fiscally sound plan, and avoid possible misassociation with the Land Cruiser legacy.

To demonstrate a current example of trim packages:

The Nissan Titan XD - A truck loaded with the highly desirable new 5.0L V8 Cummins turbo diesel, but the styling... damn.

2016-Nissan-Titan-XD.jpg

I would have to do a ton of work to the exterior of that truck so I would enjoy looking at it everyday.

...But, then Nissan made the Titan XD Warrior Concept:

Titan XD Warrior.png

My marriage would be in turmoil if they went through and produced this.

On a side note: Is the burnt orange color the new hotness? Everyone seems to be using it.

But does it? I'm not sure.

I don't really see the young crowd getting into the RAV4 or Highlander. They seem to fit and market to the family of 4 that merely need practical transportation from A to B (the same thing hipsters need but are too cool to admit). Families turn to crossovers now to avoid the stigma associated with minivans, IMO to their detriment. Everyone seems to ignore how wildly practical todays minivans are for the masses, but I digress. I think Toyota's current offerings could serve what they call the "casualcore"--yes, their word and I vomited a little writing that--crowd with a trim level that projected a little more adventuresome personality.

The TRD Offroad RAV4 could include:

-Hipster exterior color palette with contrasting plastic trim
-"Heavy Duty" recycled plastic interior
-95% useless built in and color matched first aid kit/flashlight
-Turbocharged engine (referred to as Eco-charged or Green-power)
-Fancy looking headlights... LED strips/LASERs
-All terrain low profile tires
-Bluetooth everything

Kidding aside, I really do think that they could better serve that crowd with marketing changes and trim packages. I would guess that it would be a more fiscally sound plan, and avoid possible misassociation with the Land Cruiser legacy.
Hmm... do you have market research to back up your assumption? Not being argumentative but my single, 27 year old daughter has a 2016 RAV4 (purchased new). Driving to Bethesda yesterday with an ample amount of time on the 130 mile round trip on the interstate and seeking parking at NSA Bethesda and I claim that you could not swing a dead cat without hitting a RAV4 and what appeared to be a youthful operator (which is like, everybody, in comparison to this observer).

Hmm... do you have market research to back up your assumption? Not being argumentative but my single, 27 year old daughter has a 2016 RAV4 (purchased new). Driving to Bethesda yesterday with an ample amount of time on the 130 mile round trip on the interstate and seeking parking at NSA Bethesda and I claim that you could not swing a dead cat without hitting a RAV4 and what appeared to be a youthful operator (which is like, everybody, in comparison to this observer).

Not at all. Maybe an east coast thing, but I don't see many that aren't family vehicles out west.

Edit: after some reading it seems the RAV4 has been dominating the market. Not sure about the demographic, but it seems possible it's doing well there too. I guess the FT-4X is just looking to corner the weirdo market... We already can guess it will own that segment. :D

Last edited:
Well, if there's one thing we can all agree upon, all the manufacturers that produce a "crossover SUV" in AWD are experiencing booming sales. How that translates to the overlanding community of interest in the long term remains to be seen, but I assert that this class of vehicle certainly has the potential of seeing some improved dirt road use in support of brief family vacations or just an over the weekend jaunt.

Back
Top Bottom