Tired of all the same "huge" RTT's, so I made my own: TerraPod

Howdy folks. A quick update:

Finally found a seamstress with canvas experience. She is presently working on 002's fabric portion. Anxious to see how different it will be to my feeble attempt. Once I receive the fabric back from her, final assembly begins. All parts are in place and awaiting installation.

001 Mounting update: awaiting some parts to arrive. Should have the tent mounted up on the 4Runner very soon.

Stay tuned. More exciting stuff to come...

Another little tid bit... The main tent fabric I chose is unbelievable. It is Polyester marine canvas, very similar to Sunbrella. It is UV stable, waterproof, breathable, abrasion resistant and did I mention... ridiculously durable.

Video demo:

Last edited:
As an industrial designer, there are times when the smallest details come out looking so ridiculously amazing. This be one of those moments. For some reason, this just looks really cool to me.

I give you the RTTx's mounting plate.

uOfoC73.jpg

Just a quick note of thanks for all the positive messages and replies so far. I really appreciate all the enthusiasm for this project.

Design and creating like this brings a certain amount of joy. I am a constant tinkerer and to make something that others can use and enjoy as well, just makes it all the better. So...thanks. :)

More news soon as 002 & 003 are coming together.

Cheers.

Since I may have a project that could use a popup roof, I have a couple questions.

Where can you buy that front hinge?

How does the fabric attach to the frame and keep the water out?

Does the tent actually make a full square around or is it basically 3 sided with no material at the hinge point?

Thanks.

so what are we talking about in terms of price?

Also, is the tent material slide in? like you sew in a plastic dowel and then just guide it into grooves? I saw some other brand's tent was done w/ snaps, and that turned me off immediately. Can you imagine the problems with snaps?

cold gusts, water, and dust? just crazy!

so what are we talking about in terms of price?

Also, is the tent material slide in? like you sew in a plastic dowel and then just guide it into grooves? I saw some other brand's tent was done w/ snaps, and that turned me off immediately. Can you imagine the problems with snaps?

cold gusts, water, and dust? just crazy!

I have a target price in mind, but it's a touch too early for pricing. 3 units are beta testing this summer. Coming back in the fall from trips around the country will allow for design revisions and determination for final pricing.

Regarding the tent - the fabric is bonded to the frames to prevent dust and water penetration. The lids are also weather sealed to help keep added dust out.

I too have see the snaps, velcro, tube tracks, etc. Baffling.

I have a target price in mind, but it's a touch too early for pricing. 3 units are beta testing this summer. Coming back in the fall from trips around the country will allow for design revisions and determination for final pricing.

Regarding the tent - the fabric is bonded to the frames to prevent dust and water penetration. The lids are also weather sealed to help keep added dust out.

I too have see the snaps, velcro, tube tracks, etc. Baffling.

Sewn in tube tracks actually make a lot of sense with a thick strap of nylon. Regardless of your intentions, things will break. It would be good to have an option where someone could remove it and replace it. Also, if it's intended to used alternatively as a storage box, it would make sense that the fabric be removable to provide better access to store gear.

Howdy All,

Been a while since my last update. Much work has been completed.
Allow me to present RTTx002 in all her production-level glory.
(Side note: the blue rainfly is a custom color option the buyer requested and is just a sample of the options that can be done to the tent.)

More to come later today when we mount it up on an FZJ80.

4qMosUK.jpg

Interior shots:

vjthsHC.jpg

DgYMxRY.jpg

Poi05zJ.jpg

UPDATE... RTTx001 is now mounted up and ready for an adventure. Here it is mounted on my 2016 Toyota 4Runner Trail. The mounting rails are Rhino Rack Backbone with 3 custom 3/4" high extruded aluminum crossbars. The tent then directly bolts to those and is completely removable.

Also note - I mounted up a Rhino Rack Sunseeker awning. With the custom crossbars, this mounted up very easy. (Big fan of Rhino Rack products).

Since mounting up 001 & 002, I have road test each one. I am blown away by the results. Virtually ZERO wind noise. Buffeting from semi's is virtually zero. I am extremely pleased with the highway tests to date. More to come as these begin their adventures in the coming weeks.

(Note - this is 001. Meaning, it's the ugly one. The one a lot of lessons were learned on. 002 & 003 are much prettier.) :D

Closed:
scpbOIt.jpg

Zz8xMn4.jpg

RRsEgob.jpg

Open:
HcFLhvR.jpg

cwPf8UQ.jpg

HypMBrz.jpg

Sometimes...poo happens.

Did a water test on 001 last night. It failed. Upon inspection...I found the reason. My own fault - a rushed fabric install. (Insert a facepalm here).

Well...that’s what I get. In my haste (..excitement?) to install 001, I screwed up the orientation of the bonded fabrics. And...found a couple places that I didn't fully sew up. As a result, created a water wick that pulled the outside water along the bottom edge directly into the interior.

Not gonna lie, cutting away all the fabric with a razor knife was a little unnerving.

Moving forward with the updated design (currently on 002). Not all bad - this is why 001 exists. To fail...so others can be made better.

Welcome to the world of product design.

ESDsfLI.jpg

RTTx002. In-field Test#1 Update:
CruiseMoab 2019.

Our friend is presently on the Kokopelli Trail heading towards Moab, UT with the CruiseMoab 2019 group. The group got hit with INSANE weather last evening and into the early am hours.

Messages from the RTTx002 owner:

On the Road Text Message:
"Road report. High winds in Missouri were fun. You can tell the tent is up there in a 30mph crosswind. But solid as hell no issues. We left Topeka this morning about 6 and are in western Kansas now, more crazy winds."

Text Message Monday:
"Monday morning preflight. Drive through some major storms yesterday. Tent is totally dry. So at least closed it’s awesome!"

Phone Conversation:
"We hit heavy, heavy rain and wind driving through Kansas. Opened the tent up once we go to Grand Station, CO. Tent is perfect and dry."

Text Message while on Kokopelli:
"OMG. We got one helluva field test. Started about 5pm. Monsoon level. Hail. Stopped about 9pm long enough to get in the tent. Then at 2am. BIG storm. Damn near blew the rain fly off. The straps saved it. However...DRY."

Safe to say - Looks like Test #1 is a resounding success.

Side feedback - need stronger gas springs to aid in opening faster.

More to come...Stay tuned.

Preflight Check:
xMsjrSu.jpg

Kokopelli Trailhead:
MS4DzyD.jpg

Last edited:
Field test #1 is now in the books. Overall a fantastic success. We could not have asked for a better extreme weather test than what our friends *unfortunately* had to endure. That said - the tent kept them dry and most importantly safe.

Here are some awesome shots from the Kokopelli run down into Moab.

Q4bjuKN.jpg

vPLWYIo.jpg

56suHhn.jpg

nVcLHsr.jpg

Ltbo5By.jpg

Back
Top Bottom