Tired of all the same "huge" RTT's, so I made my own: TerraPod

KICKSTARTER UPDATE!

Unfortunately, one of our Kickstarters has backed out. The good news? We are back to 1 unit left.
But hurry...at this special price, it won't last long.

FyGVRVp.jpg

Last edited:
Kickstarter is almost complete - What's next?

First and foremost...we are pleased to announce the First Edition RTTx tent production is SOLD OUT. Thank you to all who have chosen Terrapod and welcome to the Terrapod Family. We're glad your here.

Our Kickstarter campaign is officially complete on Nov 15th. Moving forward, each of our customers will receive a welcome email with a complete breakdown of what is to come.

In the meantime, here is what you can expect from Terrapod:

• Once production commences, you will receive an email containing your First Edition Serial Number as well as your place in production.
• Production timeline: Assembly for all 25 units is expected to take approximately 3-4 weeks.
• Tents will be shipped out as they are completed, in the order we have received purchases.* (the sooner your ordered, the sooner you will receive your RTTx)
• Accessories: If you ordered any Rhino-Rack accessories or mounts, special package pricing will be provided and we will be able to ship those items sooner.
• Once your tent is in the cue for production, we will notify you. You will even receive photos of your tent being assembled.
• If you have chosen to pick up your tent at our Gainesville, GA location, we will apply the Kickstarter Shipping fee to your overall purchase price, or happily provide you with a refund for that amount.
• Local pickup: Due to Covid restrictions, we will require you to contact us to setup an appointment. Please wear a mask upon arrival.
• Shipping: We are presently working with FedEx Freight, ABS, and others to determine the best price for shipping your RTTx. The $350 shipping fee was an estimate. Should the total be less, we will apply the difference to your tent and/or accessory purchase.

* Please note - material lead times, shipping and other items have been severely impacted by Covid-19. We will do our very best to get your RTTx to you in a reasonable timeframe. Unfortunately, some things are out of our control. While we are not expecting any delays, should a delay happen, we will be in constant communication with our customers. Thank you for you understanding.

That is all for now. We cannot wait to see our RTTx in the hands of our customers. Thank you for being a part of the adventure. We look forward to meeting each and every one of you.

Adventure Simple.

Chad

KICKSTARTER is COMPLETE! And...the First Edition production run is sold out +.

A big hearty thank you to all who have chosen the Terrapod RTTx for your Roof top tent. We appreciate the opportunity to build you a top quality sleep system for your adventures. If you are a First Edition customer, look for an email update in the coming days. It will contain next steps and what is to come.

Thank you! If you missed out, the next production run is coming very soon (Jan 2021).

yOGLopp.jpg

Howdy all...been a crazy few weeks. Glad to see everyone is finally getting our swag. How about a Happy New Year update?

As of today here's where we are:

- Terrapod was hit by a number of uncontrollable delays relating to Covid, the holidays, and the holiday shipping fiasco of 2020.
- 99.9% of all parts and materials are in place and ready to go for the First Edition units and production is well underway.
- Based on the present pace, the first 5 units will be ready for shipping in 2-3 weeks.
- We are waiting on one last component that we had to make a design change to - the nose panels. We wanted them even tougher.
- We have begun reaching out to the first 5 customers to make final order confirmations and to make sure we did not miss any added accessories or needs.
- Following notification, our COO will contact each customer to get our Rhino-Rack orders compiled and sent out.
- Lastly, we took over the space behind us and doubled our facility. This will allow us to ramp up that much faster.

In the meantime...

The units are looking incredible. The fit and finishes have been carefully tailored to be on point. And...they are just that. Here is a sampling of what is coming your way. (all photos are from the current batch being completed.

39ERBmK.jpg

PCBIFfg.jpg

4cwJzmW.jpg

TdkIbpg.jpg

aWk5KZj.jpg

n93inmy.jpg

The website looks good (other than not being able to order :p) and wow, that's one of the best looking, most detail oriented tents I've seen. I don't know if it'll support the weight, but could the rack be extended to carry longer items such as boats or is that too much weight?

The website looks good (other than not being able to order :p) and wow, that's one of the best looking, most detail oriented tents I've seen. I don't know if it'll support the weight, but could the rack be extended to carry longer items such as boats or is that too much weight?

There is a limit due to the crossbars. Best suggestion - forego the rack's crossbars and place the canoe/kayak directly on the flat lid surface with those foam spacers. Then tie down to the side bars. The tent / lid can take it. I, myself (272 lbs) have stood on the top of a closed tent.

That looks REALLY nice. I saw some comment on social media by someone about your use of rivets.

Clearly, you must think they’re up to the task but I was wondering what material they’re made of (?) and your thoughts on rivets verses other fastener types.

:questions

That looks REALLY nice. I saw some comment on social media by someone about your use of rivets.

Clearly, you must think they’re up to the task but I was wondering what material they’re made of (?) and your thoughts on rivets verses other fastener types.

:questions

Aerospace grade aluminum rivets with 6000 series aluminum. We use a manufacturing method called "Riv-bonding."

It is a current automotive and aerospace method of manufacturing with aluminum. We worked with well-known adhesive provider to find the perfect structural adhesive for the RTTx. In our case, our adhesive has a surface bond in excess of 3500 lbs of shear strength. Our rivets are rated at 750lbs of shear (each). When the bonding is combined with the mechanical attachment of the rivets, it creates a singular part. ...Ridiculously strong, but still lightweight.

FWIW - this method is currently used in Lotus Cars, Ford Trucks and many high-level aircraft manufacturers.

When we tried to destroy one of the prototypes, the aluminum material gave out before the bonding material did. :D

4cwJzmW.jpg

Being in the aviation industry I can attest to the strength of fasteners and adhesives. When replacing fuselage skins with all fasteners removed we use phenolic wedges attached to rivet guns (think smooth air hammers) to separate the bonded surfaces. We always joke that once the bonded surface was cured the fasteners where there just to fill the holes.

Beautiful RTT BTW.

That’s awesome, thanks for sharing your insight. Those details like that are very important when buying something like a RTT.

Quality products never lead to buyers remorse. As I always say, buy once, cry once!

Back
Top Bottom