Tired of all the same "huge" RTT's, so I made my own: TerraPod

Terrapod

Adventurist
Quick disclosure. I am a professional industrial designer with 20 years experience designing and making "things". Do not try this at home without adult supervision. :D

Basically this all started because, I decided to completely simplify the rig & my setup. Over the past few months, I have been working on developing a "better" hard shell roof top tent. I am presently building 2 others to fit on a couple 80 Series LC's. This one is 001 (prototype). The others are coming together really nicely.

I was aiming for an aerodynamic, lightweight and low profile solution. Keeping in mind - it is a good size (54"x91"), I achieved the low profile part @ 5.2" tall and the aero factor. The weight came in at 117lbs. Not terrible for a hard shell tent.

As far as mounting goes, I am adapting a Rhino Rack backbone. Which looks like it will work out great with a total additional mounted height of 7.5" above the roof line.

Stay tuned on this one. I should be mounting it up on the 4Runner soon.

Looks promising. Are you looking at ladder access from the rear, one or both sides? Also, did you consider an inset channel similar to a Maggiolina? It could eliminate the additional 2.5 inches the rack attachment adds.

Looks promising. Are you looking at ladder access from the rear, one or both sides? Also, did you consider an inset channel similar to a Maggiolina? It could eliminate the additional 2.5 inches the rack attachment adds.

Ladder: From either side. (The 4Runner's hatch eliminates the rear option...)
Inset channel is not needed on this. The mounting could be direct...without a rack. With regards to my setup with the RR backbone - I wanted to retain the SAT radio antenna. On the 80 Series (the other 2 proto's) they will be even lower. One of them will likely be about 1/2" off the roof.

C

This looks really good. I'm sort of interested in rolling my own now for my 98 4runner. I have a BNIB Autohome Columbus, but I still have to order a flat rack for it. A completely flat setup like this would make it easier to mount flat solar panels.

Does yours have enough room to store the ladder + two pillows + teton sports mammoth sleeping bag?

This looks really good. I'm sort of interested in rolling my own now for my 98 4runner. I have a BNIB Autohome Columbus, but I still have to order a flat rack for it. A completely flat setup like this would make it easier to mount flat solar panels.

Does yours have enough room to store the ladder + two pillows + teton sports mammoth sleeping bag?

Yes - two mattress directions are currently being considered for the tent. A traditional foam source and the NEMO Equipment Cosmo 50L inflatable. All 3 beta testers have chosen the NEMO mattress. By doing so, the entire chamber becomes a storage area as well.

NEMO Equipment Cosmo 50L

lol, i guess i'm the retard that doesn't like a sweaty back. But does bedding fit inside with the mattress inflated? Sometimes I roll into camp at 4am and want to be able to go straight to bed w/o having to inflate stuff.

Yes - two mattress directions are currently being considered for the tent. A traditional foam source and the NEMO Equipment Cosmo 50L inflatable. All 3 beta testers have chosen the NEMO mattress. By doing so, the entire chamber becomes a storage area as well.

My vote is for NEMO. Far better than any foam mattress I’ve seen and far lighter.

It’s my go-to now for backpacking and my choice for solo use inside the Jeep. Worth every penny.

lol, i guess i'm the retard that doesn't like a sweaty back. But does bedding fit inside with the mattress inflated? Sometimes I roll into camp at 4am and want to be able to go straight to bed w/o having to inflate stuff.

Everyone has their preference. There is no wrong or right answer. Thus the reason I choose to offer two directions.

The alternative is a custom fitted 2" foam mattress from thefoamfactory.com. You can custom choose the density and comfort level. Given that most bedding is relatively thin - yes, you could still put some of the bedding in the tent when closed.

Howdy folks - a ton of work has been completed on this project. Finally got the prototype (001) up on the 4Runner. Very, very satisfied with the results.

Side note - 002 is underway and is looking fantastic. 002 is due to be mounted on an FZJ-80 in about a week or less. Stay tuned.

Fits in the Garage!!

With tent open:

Nice to see another ID head here. Tent fab looks good. Does water deflect over the hinge at the aero section when open?
Possible 4ft awning attachment for the rear?
What kind of latches are you using?

Nice to see another ID head here. Tent fab looks good. Does water deflect over the hinge at the aero section when open?
Possible 4ft awning attachment for the rear?
What kind of latches are you using?

4 ft awning - sure.
Front aero hinge - water flows down through slots and out. Does not touch any part of the front tent area.
Latches: 2 Pad lockable, adjustable tension, latches at the back.

Last edited:
Here is the recipient of 002. One seriously cool, turbo'd FZJ80 with a test fit of prototype 001. 002 will be on this rig heading west to Cruise Moab very soon. Keep an eye for it. A couple notes: This will be a direct mount to get the tent as low as possible. Total height (from roof) is approx 7.5"

Back
Top Bottom