Time to start searching for a rig...need your help!

Andy G

Adventurist
Found out I’m FINALLY getting my VA disability back pay (to the tune of about 5000-6000 bucks – finally!!!) in the next month or so…supposedly.

Desperately wanting to get an off-road “overlanding” capable rig again – but not wanting to pull the trigger on the first thing that tickles my fancy, I’m turning to you all for suggestions on what to look for.

Wanna pay cash, so definitely looking at used rigs.

A few things to get out of the way first, in no particular order…

#1 – This vehicle does NOT have to be a daily driver. I’m stuck in an auto loan on my car, and my wife has her own car, so this rig can be strictly for pleasure.

#2 – I’ve got a wife and 2 kids, so I need to be able to haul them and their gear for camping.

#3 – Refer to #2, we like to get out and camp using a traditional ground tent, cots, sleeping bags, small stove, etc. Or, we’ll get a cabin for a few nights and won’t need the tents and cots. Point is, I need to have some way to haul gear in addition to the people.

#4 – I had an Isuzu Trooper and loved the capability and size of that thing. If it weren’t for the sh!tty transmission, I’d still own it.

#5 – I live in Michigan…which means RUST on most older rigs. Considering that people from the SW consider “oxidized paint” as “body needs work” (hahaha!) I’d strongly consider a fly-and-drive purchase. Yeah, that’ll take a bit of money outta the available cash, but in the long run would be worth it.

Okay, so here’s the vehicles I’m looking at most often on Craigslist (again, no particular order).

Toyota 4Runner
Toyota Tacoma
Jeep Cherokee (XJ)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Mitsubishi Montero

Wondering if anyone has any other options to throw into the mix? Also any pros/cons of what I've got listed?

Thanks in advance!
Andy

From the Jeep side of the fence I'd go with the Grand Cherokee. Not as easy to lift with the link suspension all the way around, but slightly larger than the XJ, and it has a V-8 available.

You didn't mention new or used...

Not the Mitsu... aftermarket support is limited to non-existent as the "bug" to upgrade the trucks capabilities might bite you.

I personally don't trust Jeeps as built today in the US despite the recent "improvements."

Toyota, yes. However, based on your family size I would recommend looking outside the box created among the Toyota models you listed. Have you considered a used Sequoia or UZJ100? Comfortable enough for a family of four and room for the lightweight camping gear you suggest. Both share the Toyota rock-solid V8 2UZ motor. A 100-series Land Cruiser gives you the power, room, and capability for 95% of North American trails suitable for family overlanding. A Sequoia matches the Land Cruisers space and power, but is a little bigger and the 4WD system is not as complicated and is on-demand versus full time. Those 2 vehicles can be purchased with low wear as many were employed as "soccer mom" vehicles. The UZJ100 has a plethora of options available for aftermarket support but the Sequoia (surprisingly) doesn't, but it is there if you search carefully. Both models allow for "Ship-fitters" disease which will help occupy your time now that you're retired. :cool:

My humble opinion to consider... :D

Congratulations on getting your VA pension resolved! Out of curiosity, how long did it take for the VA to make your determination? I was lucky since they had the "Disability upon Discharge program" which means you get your last Active pay check and the next month you get your VA check, which in reality took them 13 months... o_O

You didn't mention new or used...

Not the Mitsu... aftermarket support is limited to non-existent as the "bug" to upgrade the trucks capabilities might bite you.

I personally don't trust Jeeps as built today in the US despite the recent "improvements."

Toyota, yes. However, based on your family size I would recommend looking outside the box created among the Toyota models you listed. Have you considered a used Sequoia or UZJ100? Comfortable enough for a family of four and room for the lightweight camping gear you suggest. Both share the Toyota rock-solid V8 2UZ motor. A 100-series Land Cruiser gives you the power, room, and capability for 95% of North American trails suitable for family overlanding. A Sequoia matches the Land Cruisers space and power, but is a little bigger and the 4WD system is not as complicated and is on-demand versus full time. Those 2 vehicles can be purchased with low wear as many were employed as "soccer mom" vehicles. The UZJ100 has a plethora of options available for aftermarket support but the Sequoia (surprisingly) doesn't, but it is there if you search carefully. Both models allow for "Ship-fitters" disease which will help occupy your time now that you're retired. :cool:

My humble opinion to consider... :D

Congratulations on getting your VA pension resolved! Out of curiosity, how long did it take for the VA to make your determination? I was lucky since they had the "Disability upon Discharge program" which means you get your last Active pay check and the next month you get your VA check, which in reality took them 13 months... o_O

Definitely used. I wanna pay cash.

Would only be getting an XJ Cherokee...so up to and including 2001.

As for the VA stuff...I retired 01 August 2016. First disability payment was 01 December 2016. So...I've been waiting over 2 years since retirement for my backpay to show up. o_O:rolleyes:

Would only be getting an XJ Cherokee...so up to and including 2001.

. o_O:rolleyes:

I don't think you'd be happy with two kids, gear, you, and the Admiral all aboard in an XJ. It would be a tight fit for starters, probably at/near load capacity and SLOW up any hill you might encounter.

I'm a die hard Jeep guy, would love to say you'd be happy with an XJ...I just don't think it's realistic.

Last edited:
1st Gen Sequoias are easy to find and cheap, until you want 4wd and not already rusted out. At least that was my experience until I found a good 07. A comperable 100 series Cruiser was running a bit more at the time and lacked rear cargo space when using the 3rd row (which is my reality). Were it not for the space, I would have liked the 100 and still like driving my underpowered 80 more, though the princess likes the Sequoia a lot.

As for the Jeep options, my old 04 Grand Cherokee WJ went a lot of places and was enjoyable. Small wheel wells limit tire size and aftermarket support is half what the XJ was (which is a quarter of the Wrangler). Solid option and super common so you can shop around. A 4" lift and 33" tires should be mandatory but you will have to find another spot for your spare.

For your price range I would also consider the Landcruiser FZJ 80. Room for the family and gear. Yes it's slow with the straight six cyl and yes the gas mileage sucks considering it's a six cylinder, but my family did a number of tent camping trips out of ours. I picked mine up for $6K with 130K miles on it. They are known for going 250K miles easy. It was a west coast vehicle most of it's life so it had no rust when it came east. Since it's not going to be your daily driver gas mileage not a huge issue. I never modified mine but there are lots of aftermarket parts for it. It's extremely capable offroad as a stock vehicle. You could probably find one that already has some aftermarket goodies on it in your price range. I miss that vehicle.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Okay yeah so I sat in a Cherokee and forgot how small they are. I'm 6'4" and about 250#. Definitely gonna need a bigger boat! I'd LOVE a LC80, but to find one not all boogered up with rust is gonna cost me an arm and a leg. I'd definitely have to travel outside the Rust Belt to get something worthwhile cost wise.

Also, I forgot to mention I won't be doing heavy / hard-core offroading. There's hundreds and hundreds of miles of fire / forest service roads and two-tracks in this state to explore. Not wanting or needing to modify something with monster lift and big tires. I've found all my other 4x4's have either been stock or had no more than a 2" lift and I've been happy getting around with that sort of setup.

Muchas gracias!

^^^^IMO, a mild lift and 33's on a vehicle with a decent breakover angle, maybe a traction aid (or two) and you can run 90% of all of the trails out there. I think you'd be $$$ ahead to find a vehicle that has lived it's life in SoCal or Arizona. We don't even know how to spell r^$t out here!:rolleyes: Find something out here, have one of us locals go eyeball it for you, quick plane trip and you're on your way!:cool:

^^^^IMO, a mild lift and 33's on a vehicle with a decent breakover angle, maybe a traction aid (or two) and you can run 90% of all of the trails out there. I think you'd be $$$ ahead to find a vehicle that has lived it's life in SoCal or Arizona. We don't even know how to spell r^$t out here!:rolleyes: Find something out here, have one of us locals go eyeball it for you, quick plane trip and you're on your way!:cool:

I may be taking up one of you guys in the near future! Thanks for the reply.

I'd consider down sizing your gear and using one of the cars. I just had a incredible adventure with a subcompact rental and day packs. OR...Dumping one of the cars would allow you to buy a nicer SUV. When money is tight, it is tough to justify a third vehicle. Purchase cost, registration, insurance, upkeep, etc. This is magnified by all your vehicles residing in the rust belt. Dump one car and buy a 15K Tundra, not a 3k Cherokee

Last edited:
I second @TangoBlue comment regarding Monty's. They are definitely cool and different IMO, but like he mentioned, aftermarket is darn near non-existent. Even Nissan's have better support than Mitsu's.

First gen Tundra's are underrated. A plus in my book, but I don't think aftermarket is as good as you think.

Back
Top Bottom