Thoughts on the Rubicon Trail

When I did the Rubicon trail last summer I didn't see any toilet paper anywhere along the trail. There were composting and porta-heads sporadically placed along the trail. Rubicon Springs had the vast majority of them. I'm sure there is still a lot of this going on but even the bad press it was getting and all the attention from the enviro-Nazi's has actually had a decent outcome in the end. People care enough about keeping this iconic trail open that positive changes happen.

I read on another forum that there are now bathrooms placed along the Rubicon trail at different intervals. I could not tell if this was a joke or not. Has it become that much of a tourist attraction?

The porta potties at the springs are a welcome site. They look in some cases to have been in place for many years. The units on the trail are nicely built and spaced regularly. Some are used beyond capacity, while others are clean and convenient for travelers. I would hate to be the volunteer who draws the short straw and has to clean them. I can't imagine what that process must be like. They are in fact a testament to the commitment that advocacy groups uphold to maintain the access to this incredible trail. If you have never done the trail, it should be on your short list of places to visit. We should all be just fine with making a small investment in keeping this trail open. It is worth saving, no matter the cost.

Back
Top Bottom