Thoughts on the Rubicon Trail

Nice. I'm looking at doing the Rubicon at some point.

@jonb8 What size lift and tires on the XJ? You say the JK unlimited are too big/long?

No the 4dr JK's were fine, the one's on 37in tires and above just drove over everything. The JK's on 35's and smaller had to do a lot of wiggling... My xj has 4.5 lift, alot of cut and 35in tires. The xj has gone through alot of changes after that trip, it's got new bumpers, box tubing rockers and putting D44 JK Rubicon axles under it now... I really enjoyed the cross country drive and want to do it more, but the stock xj stuff wasn't holding up to all that..

No the 4dr JK's were fine, the one's on 37in tires and above just drove over everything. The JK's on 35's and smaller had to do a lot of wiggling... My xj has 4.5 lift, alot of cut and 35in tires. The xj has gone through alot of changes after that trip, it's got new bumpers, box tubing rockers and putting D44 JK Rubicon axles under it now... I really enjoyed the cross country drive and want to do it more, but the stock xj stuff wasn't holding up to all that..

Sounds like a killer rig, where are you based out of?

I'm in WV, I started a build thread in the jeep section... I dug up a few more pics of the Rubicon trip, I didn't get very many I was too busy hanging onto the wheel...

20140022_10200425266096700_7688405554511347208_n-L.jpg

20157704_10210008920962058_4992448014616141866_o-XL.jpg

20228857_10200425267376732_5609051717093330700_n-L.jpg

20229822_10210008912641850_7712472783587233625_o-L.jpg

20232634_10210008906641700_7615807107735831028_o-XL.jpg

20245822_10210008932682351_1101664484579663776_n-L.jpg

Is there any time during the year when it is not advised to go? I mean from the weather's perspective. I'm just trying to plan my year.

I'm in WV, I started a build thread in the jeep section... I dug up a few more pics of the Rubicon trip, I didn't get very many I was too busy hanging onto the wheel...

View attachment 36203

View attachment 36204

Hey, @jonb8 I recently sold that 2D JK, but that was a fun trip. I was challenged last year on 35's but I would offer another consideration for those who have never done the trail and are making plans. Vehicle Weight was my issue last year, I simply had too much stuff. I packed in for three adults, two of which were ladies. We had all the luxuries you can imagine, but The Jeep performed like crap. In contrast, I ran Fordyce the year before on a day trip and made that trail without ever pulling a strap or cable, packing in only enough for myself. I imagine a full size could do either trail, but body damage concern would have to be low on your list of priority. Spare parts would also need to be on your list, as both trails are pretty remote. I have seen broken trucks sitting on both trails with breakage that appeared difficult at best. My best experience on the Con was in a UTV.
Lastly, I prefer to come in from the Tahoe side, make camp at the springs. Run the trail without my gear, and go back out to Tahoe. Mostly because I am about an hour and a half from the trailhead on the Cadillac side and 3 plus hours from the Loon side. Camping at the springs can be pretty incredible depending on the crowds.

Hey, @jonb8 I recently sold that 2D JK, but that was a fun trip. I was challenged last year on 35's but I would offer another consideration for those who have never done the trail and are making plans. Vehicle Weight was my issue last year, I simply had too much stuff. I packed in for three adults, two of which were ladies. We had all the luxuries you can imagine, but The Jeep performed like crap. In contrast, I ran Fordyce the year before on a day trip and made that trail without ever pulling a strap or cable, packing in only enough for myself. I imagine a full size could do either trail, but body damage concern would have to be low on your list of priority. Spare parts would also need to be on your list, as both trails are pretty remote. I have seen broken trucks sitting on both trails with breakage that appeared difficult at best. My best experience on the Con was in a UTV.
Lastly, I prefer to come in from the Tahoe side, make camp at the springs. Run the trail without my gear, and go back out to Tahoe. Mostly because I am about an hour and a half from the trailhead on the Cadillac side and 3 plus hours from the Loon side. Camping at the springs can be pretty incredible depending on the crowds.

That’s solid info, thanks for sharing Jeff

Weight is one of the things I always try and stress to the family when we are going on a trip like the Rubicon. It really rings home when you start doing those classes of trails and seeing the types of breaks that happen and analyzing them as to the why. The trail fixes I've seen defy all logic but necessity is truly the mother of all invention.

We had a CJ-7 that broke an engine mount and when the engine moved the oil filter got punctured. The owner had another engine mount but didn't have an oil filter. We ended up cutting a piece of shock boot to use as a seal and a self tapping screw to plug the puncture. It got us to the end of the trail.

We had a CJ-7 that broke an engine mount and when the engine moved the oil filter got punctured. The owner had another engine mount but didn't have an oil filter. We ended up cutting a piece of shock boot to use as a seal and a self tapping screw to plug the puncture. It got us to the end of the trail.

My point exactly! ^^^^^^^^^

That sounds like something Hartman would come up with. I have seen him engineer with the best trail fixes.

I might not do this trail this year, but maybe some of the others in the area. Trying to sort my schedule, and I still don't have a solution for my rear bumper.

Also need to do PSC and figure out how I'm stuffing those 40's...

I am not sure if this is the best place to share this, but Rubicon visitors might find this interesting if they like old maps and history.
http://www.gerlecreek.com/history/gerlecreekhistory.htm

My wife is currently working on her masters in US history with an emphasis on the western states. Her current project is extensive research on the history of recreation on the Rubicon trail for a class that is focused on the Tahoe Basin. She is finding all sorts of good stuff.
FWIW the first car drove to Rubicon Springs 110 years ago this summer.
A map from 1880 shows a proposed railroad thru Rubicon Springs. Glad that never happened.
The water at the Springs apparently is a cure-all.

I read on another forum that there are now bathrooms placed along the Rubicon trail at different intervals. I could not tell if this was a joke or not. Has it become that much of a tourist attraction?

The problem over the years has been the toilet paper flowers left along the trail. Virtually the whole trail is rock, no where to really bury your business or dispose of it so people just leave it. It can get pretty bad near Buck Island (half way through the trail).

I read on another forum that there are now bathrooms placed along the Rubicon trail at different intervals. I could not tell if this was a joke or not. Has it become that much of a tourist attraction?
No, that is true. Several state and local off-road groups have sponsored the building and placement of these facilties in accordance with cognizant authority guidelines; so that should tell you it was no easy task and a labor of love.

I don't think it's a bad idea for a trail so frequently used. You can imagine the amount of human solid waste and hygiene products that would likely be left scattered willy-nilly around the trails.

Back
Top Bottom