TheBrassNuckles' FZJ80 build thread

Thebrassnuckles

Adventurist
Founding Member
guess I'll start a build thread for my cruiser. It's been a while and I haven't done so yet.

I picked up this guy back in October 2014 to replace my 2013 rubicon. My financial status had changed and I needed a family rig still, so here we are.

Picked it up bone stock, pulled the running boards, fender flares, and brush guard off the next day. On Halloween night in the pouring rain I installed an OME 2.5" heavy suspension kit, and threw some 35" MTRks off my rock crawler. I drive it around like that for a while, but wasn't satisfied with how wide it was on the 15" wheels. I found some 315's for my stock wheels and drilled a big ol' hole in my fender for a snorkel.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 67
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 63
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    849.4 KB · Views: 61
I Wasn't happy with the reduced performance (if you can even call it that) and were getting ready for a family road trip/expedition (ok camping trip) so I installed 4.88 gears and an ARB air locker in front and a TJM air locker in the rear.

I added dual batteries with a dead simple continuous duty solenoid, OBA via my ARB air compressor, did the ol' Pesky heater hose bypass mod.

The rig performed wonderfully on the trip, nary a problem. Earned a few dents along the way, and a smashed bumper. So I removed that.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 62
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 61
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 62
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    213.9 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 56
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    956.8 KB · Views: 67
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 60
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 60
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    115.3 KB · Views: 60
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 64
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 65
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 59
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    944.8 KB · Views: 57
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 65
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 59
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 70
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 61
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 59
After several months driving on the 315's with 4.88's I was a bit annoyed at how far off calibration my speedometer was. After much deliberation, I decided that the only solution was bigger tires. In came some procomp all terrains. 60k mile warranty and road hazard warranty, I couldn't pass up.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    959.7 KB · Views: 52
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 50
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    959.6 KB · Views: 53
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    884.8 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 54
Well, after all this fun, kid number 4 shows up, and I have to relinquish DDing the cruise so Mrs. Thebrassnuckles can have 3rd row seating to drag around the little Thebrassnuckles'. So I decided she should at least be able to fit her car in the garage (when it's clean...) so I removed the factory rack and spoiler and plugged up all the holes.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 45
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 56
Now we are up to today. I am currently working on building a front and rear bumper/tire carrier. Maybe a drawer for my tools/roadside kit. I'm hoping to be finished by the time the rendezvous rolls around.

I started the drawer a few weeks ago, but it was really hot out and I nearly became a heat casualty, and I built the drawer insert wrong. Smh. Gotta get some more wood, so I have been fooling around with the bumpers.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 52
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 49
I've been cranking away on these bumpers trying to get Them finished passable before next weekend.

I have the front stinger and winch plate finished up. I moved I to the rear so hat I can replace the pintle with a 2" receiver. I'm waiting on another Clevis mount, hopefully it's here on Monday and I can burn the crossmember into place.
I chopped 5" off the rear frame rails, it's gonna tuck up nice and tight to the body.

So far I am super happy with the xmember/receiver. The welds look pretty damn good, and everything looks pretty square.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1,013 KB · Views: 46
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    998.6 KB · Views: 50
Well, my phone died over the weekend, so I have been making do with my iPad. I ran out of argon 1/2 way through welding the member to the cruiser, luckily I got a few solid beads run.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    721.7 KB · Views: 56
I love where this is going!! I'm looking forward to checking out your rig at mrv.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom