The Triple J

jscusmcvet

Adventurist
After working on and off on this for a couple years, we finally finished this project. A few years back my son, Jonah asked if we could build a sailboat. I had done 1 sailboat and 2 outboard skiffs in the past. With him at a stage, a college student, and me not being the coolest guy in his world anymore, I said sure. We started, got the frames and sides done on this plywood sailing skiff designed my Phil Bolger.

And the project sat in the barn. A few years went by. Jonah left for the USAF and is now on the other side of the country. But I have a younger son, Joe, who is 10 and learning to use all kinds of tools, so we set out to finish the project. So that's how the boat got it's name...John, Jonah and Joe. We used wood from our property for the mast, sprit and gunwales. We forged the cleats and the rudder hardware from scratch in our coal forge.

We launched today, under very light winds and had a successful, if slow sail. It has been 20 years since I sailed, but it is coming back quick.

DSC_0313.JPG
DSC_0321.JPG
DSC_0326.JPG
DSC_0330.JPG
DSC_0336.JPG
DSC_0349.JPG
DSC_0359.JPG

As seen in this thread, earlier this year, we launched a home built sailboat, the Triple J, meaning John, Jonah and Joe. All 3 of us had a hand in building her.

Both my boys learned how to safely use power tools by the time they were 10 and both in building a boat. I have spent a lifetime reading, looking and dreaming about the boats in Woodenboat. I have built 4 boats, and 3 that actually worked
1f642.png

Today I got the copy of the most recent issue and we are featured in the Launchings section. They did a particularly nice job editing my rambling submission into a blurb that caught the spirit of our project while limiting the number of words to what they needed.

This is a high moment for me and much needed among the crap all around us lately.

Woodenboat 2020.jpg
Triple J.jpg

After working on and off on this for a couple years, we finally finished this project. A few years back my son, Jonah asked if we could build a sailboat. I had done 1 sailboat and 2 outboard skiffs in the past. With him at a stage, a college student, and me not being the coolest guy in his world anymore, I said sure. We started, got the frames and sides done on this plywood sailing skiff designed my Phil Bolger.
And the project sat in the barn. A few years went by. Jonah left for the USAF and is now on the other side of the country. But I have a younger son, Joe, who is 10 and learning to use all kinds of tools, so we set out to finish the project. So that's how the boat got it's name...John, Jonah and Joe. We used wood from our property for the mast, sprit and gunwales. We forged the cleats and the rudder hardware from scratch in our coal forge.
We launched today, under very light winds and had a successful, if slow sail. It has been 20 years since I sailed, but it is coming back quick.View attachment 51812View attachment 51813View attachment 51814View attachment 51815View attachment 51816View attachment 51817View attachment 51818
As seen in this thread, earlier this year, we launched a home built sailboat, the Triple J, meaning John, Jonah and Joe. All 3 of us had a hand in building her. Both my boys learned how to safely use power tools by the time they were 10 and both in building a boat. I have spent a lifetime reading, looking and dreaming about the boats in Woodenboat. I have built 4 boats, and 3 that actually worked
1f642.png
. Today I got the copy of the most recent issue and we are featured in the Launchings section. They did a particularly nice job editing my rambling submission into a blurb that caught the spirit of our project while limiting the number of words to what they needed.
This is a high moment for me and much needed among the crap all around us lately.
View attachment 54074View attachment 54075
Well dang, how cool is that!

Get all that time with your boys building sound watercraft and lasting memories, AND get featured in the coolest wooden boat magazine around; one you read and admired for so long.

I knew Dynamite Payson about the time he and Phil Bolger were hatching plans for the Instant Boats and book, and been down to his place a couple times, then got to know his boy, too. What an absolute character. You don't get much more Maine than Dynamite.

dynamite-payson6356.jpg

I've a story or two about Dynamite and how he dealt with things, and people, I'll share around a fire with you someday.

What a hoot to run across someone on here that built a boat based on his plans.

I have never met Dynamite, but feel like I know him after reading his books and building 3 of his boats. I think I have one more in me before I am done and wrestling with another of his or a Jeff Spira design.
I'd love to hear stories about the guy. I am just absolutely sure they match up to who I envision him to have been. Meanwhile, if you are ever in the North Carolina region, hit me up. I have 85 super private acres and a great campsite waiting for stories around the fire.

I have never met Dynamite, but feel like I know him after reading his books and building 3 of his boats. I think I have one more in me before I am done and wrestling with another of his or a Jeff Spira design.
I'd love to hear stories about the guy. I am just absolutely sure they match up to who I envision him to have been. Meanwhile, if you are ever in the North Carolina region, hit me up. I have 85 super private acres and a great campsite waiting for stories around the fire.
Well now, that sounds like a plan, and one I'll definitely take you up on. I'm down in the mountains of east Tennessee a fair bit and have wanted to explore both Nantahala and Croatan Nst'l Forests and several places in between. I appreciate the offer!

Back
Top Bottom