The Taco Chaser - Adventures & Restoration Project

Doing the same to my Horizon trailer, Frame back from sandblasting sitting in my garage, off to Line X this Thursday. Had the same rust issues in I bet the same area as you did. Sealing the frame with Line X should be rust free from now on.Will do story in another thread.

DSCN0723.JPG
DSCN0731.JPG
DSCN0720.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
My issue was the same with the hand water pump. I installed a bilge pump in the tank,cleaned and sanitized of course. Flip a switch and water flows, great for cleaning dishes.

Not to jack your thread but trailer back from LineX, I am SPEECHLESS!!! Was going to do the sanding deal but with so much rust I still be sanding. Trailer back on it's wheels in 3 weeks and well worth it. Nose box should be back I hope this week that was powder coated gloss white, Will Raptor Line the top of the nose box, plastic water tank and front of the main box as well. Have the Raptor roll on kit now just need to sand down tank,prime and roll. Fenders will also be Raptor line not shining them anymore.

DSCN0746.JPG
DSCN0748.JPG
DSCN0752.JPG
DSCN0761.JPG
DSCN0712.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
PSA: Ranger Todd Selinga is strictly enforcing the 22 ft. limitation at the Toroweep Overlook/Backcountry Campground.

We had to disconnect our trailers and proceed sans towables to the viewpoint...which derailed our "camping on the rim" plans, unlocking an exciting chain of events across two states.

View attachment 40253

The clouds forming in this photo became the storm that soaked the Mt. Trumbull area, with lightning ferocious enough at 7,500' to chase us out of our pine tree clustered campsite.

View attachment 40254

We had a lot of "fun" slipping and sliding across Northern Arizona and into Southern Utah, crossing 190 miles off road and finally landing in St. George at 1:30am.

View attachment 40255

Adventure!

Even @knightrider 's rental got in on the action...picking up "a little mud."

View attachment 40256

And the Taco Chaser grabbed its share of sticky terra firma...

View attachment 40257

For its first serious off road excursion, the Chaser seriously impressed us. Bouncing through several wash outs, pulling nicely after adjusting the road PSI to 32lbs., and staying water tight in a sustained thunderstorm for over 8 hours.

Overall very happy and looking forward to the next chance we have to get it dirty!
I like the dirt protective coating, was this sprayed on or splashed!

@Borrego60 no worries...post away, this is all great info and inspiration to pull my tub and go the route of Line-X.

Well done sir...and the dirt protective coating was sprayed, splashed, and generally shot from trail to tread to trailer. :D

Still impressive, I saw a Tacoma at the desert RVP when I went out for a quick trip. It was covered so well and complete I thought it was rolled in the mud,then sand and back to mud, It was by far the best filth I have ever seen on a vehicle. I am sure Richard got a picture of it.

The family was from Napa Ca. He was hoping that it would rain all the way back home and help clean the vehicle.

New parts and things coming in, now just need the time to install and finish the wiring for the main box,back up lights,sand down the front of main box,water tank,top of nose box and the propane tank holders.

Well almost done, items powder coated,fuel cans, ,nose box, propane tank holders.About 98% done. Fenders and front of main box got a coat of Raptor Liner last Sunday. Fenders installed with blind SS rivets, water tank bolted back in place and nose box installed with electrical. Cans and brackets are Red Barron Red, do not know why the look black.Every nut,bolt,washer being used is SS.

Attachments

• DSCN0800.JPG
    DSCN0800.JPG
    954.3 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCN0797.JPG
    DSCN0797.JPG
    673.5 KB · Views: 68
  • DSCN0798.JPG
    DSCN0798.JPG
    437.6 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCN0799.JPG
    DSCN0799.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 61
  • DSCN0804.JPG
    DSCN0804.JPG
    436.4 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCN0809.JPG
    DSCN0809.JPG
    634 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCN0813.JPG
    DSCN0813.JPG
    569.3 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCN0816.JPG
    DSCN0816.JPG
    209.2 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCN0815.JPG
    DSCN0815.JPG
    403.4 KB · Views: 64
the work is very nicely done, I like watching build projects like this. It shows of quality & a high standard of detail. This trailers finish will last a very long time.

Looking to keep this trailer for a long time.It is worth the time and money spent and having a trouble free platform. Hats off to Adventure Trailers for building a bullet proof frame to start off with. A solid frame is everything. Will post some more pictures tonight.

Propane tanks and brackets mounted up, fuel cans and their brackets on but not mounted, need to do some paint removal first to clean them up a bit, almost done. Propane tanks need a little love too. Will; hit them with some gloss white.

Attachments

• DSCN0818.JPG
    DSCN0818.JPG
    557.3 KB · Views: 74
  • DSCN0817.JPG
    DSCN0817.JPG
    544.5 KB · Views: 65
WOO HOO!. I put a pretty good scrape in the powder coat on the top of the nose box the other day by accident. So out comes the 40 grit, palm sander, masking tape and paper. White Raptor liner and problem solved. This is just the first coat then a 1/2 hr dry time and a respray. Very pleased so far, gets me thinking????, side boxes?? Looks tight! And yes I do know it is Memorial Day and I think of our Men and Women who have given the ultimate sacrifice so we may continue to live in Freedom. Flag flies 24/7 61ft up in the air.

Attachments

• DSCN0833.JPG
    DSCN0833.JPG
    485.6 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCN0832.JPG
    DSCN0832.JPG
    528.6 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCN0834.JPG
    DSCN0834.JPG
    182.3 KB · Views: 61
I've got a few updates to post.

Bought a new set of load bars (Yakima Corebars w/Skyline towers) and mounted a Skybox 16 for Shiftpod storage.
IMG_1596.JPG

Also stuck a little swag to the Chaser's body. ;)

IMG_1595.JPG

Shiftpod2 tucks nicely inside. Also provides weight to operate the trailer lid effectively. Without the weight of the RTT opening the lid makes you quick to step away and secure your chin. Closing was a full body weight affair...and I also like that the new Corebars provide a nice handhold.

Loaded in the field during a "pre-Tuthill" recon trip.

IMG_1619.JPG

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom