The Random Thoughts Thread

I think that there's an agenda, with some people, to quietly decrease the number of visitors to some of these places. Yosemite for example cannot sustain the current number of visitors much less the inevitable increase in years to come. There's only so much land there in that valley, and "more infrastructure" is a double edged sword.

One way to decrease the load on the environment and existing infrastructure is to crank up prices.

^^^^I agree that's probably part of the motivation, it's also the beginning of the National Parks turning into vacation spots for the wealthy/privileged.

^^^^I agree that's probably part of the motivation, it's also the beginning of the National Parks turning into vacation spots for the wealthy/privileged.

Understand that I am not necessarily disagreeing with you. I'm one of those people who are cursed with the ability to see both sides of most issues.

From a historical perspective, I rather doubt that the average American worker could afford to take off several weeks and travel across the country by train just to see some scenery and some wildlife, back when the first National Park was created. It was pretty much something only the well-to-do could afford, even back then.

Hopefully, we can avoid having it happen again.

It sure is. I posit that our resources are not being preserved FOR the public, but rather FROM the public.

The goal in my opinion (tinfoil hats on boys!) has always been to corral we plebeians into the urban/suburban areas and limit ingress/egress into wilderness areas that cannot be monitored/enforced. Fees, permits and other bureaucratic red tape serve as additional "fences" to limit freedom of movement and use.

As the fences and gates have gone up over the years, we the people really have lost the "free access" that our forebears once enjoyed. I know first hand that many of the places my grandfather hunted and fished in the PNW are no longer available to me as they were to him and his peers. No doubt this knowledge fuels my inner loathing of gates, fees and permits in general.

This just pisses me off...

http://fox5sandiego.com/2017/10/25/...roposes-70-entrance-fee-for-17-popular-parks/

...I already pay taxes to support public lands/National Parks. Why do tax paying US citizens have to pay the same entrance fees as foreign tourists?

A good option is to get a pass good for a year (substantial savings) before they increase that price also. As for your question it mirrors the question of how people here illegally can pay resident prices for college tuition?

Now for another random thought, I have heard via grapevine that after the first of the year the Camp Fire Permit will be vigorously enforced and those not in possession will be cited and making a contribution to the government coffers. They are easy to obtain online so do not be caught without one. just print one out and keep in your vehicle.

Saw this info posted over on Expo Portal too! Remember, these are annual permits expiring 12.31, not yearly from the date you get it!

Campfire Permits are issued and expire on a current calendar year format whereas Park/Access passes (or whatever they are called) are good from date of purchase for a period of 1 year as pointed out. Two different animals guys. They even hammered the"Geezer" passes, went from $10 to $80 but they are lifetime. 80 Bucks? I don't even buy green bananas , Damn!

Campfire Permits are issued and expire on a current calendar year format whereas Park/Access passes (or whatever they are called) are good from date of purchase for a period of 1 year as pointed out. Two different animals guys. They even hammered the"Geezer" passes, went from $10 to $80 but they are lifetime. 80 Bucks? I don't even buy green bananas , Damn!
my fault, I had 2 different subjects floating around my head and that is just too much to keep track of.

For the fire permit, if it is issued by a ranger they hand write in the expiration and can make it for as long or short of a time period as they see fit

Since it looks like I'll be living in California for most of next year (we're remodeling many of the San Diego area stores) this is some good info on fire permits.

On an east coast note, here's a photograph of a fire permit in Georgia:

c02e4bfc6e6d6aec98fc849aa6f05223.jpg

Since it looks like I'll be living in California for most of next year (we're remodeling many of the San Diego area stores) this is some good info on fire permits.

On an east coast note, here's a photograph of a fire permit in Georgia:

View attachment 34812
Rub it in, and I'll venture that you can buy more than x number of bullets per month too !!

Back
Top Bottom