The Random Thoughts Thread

Happy birthday to our
USS-Holland-SS1-slider.jpg
Silent Service!
120 years ago today, John Holland sold the 64-ton submersible Holland VI to the Navy, marking the beginning of our submarine force. Several months later, the submarine was commissioned as USS Holland (SS 1).

One may recall that the H.L. Hunley wasn't a United States ship having done its job during the War of Northern Aggression.

One may recall that the H.L. Hunley wasn't a United States ship having done its job during the War of Northern Aggression.

Yes.

Good ol' Southern ingenuity! ;)

I have seen the Hunley - I don't know that I would actually get in it and take it for a swim.

I have seen the Hunley - I don't know that I would actually get in it and take it for a swim.

I wouldn't recommend it.

"Hunley, nearly 40 ft (12 m) long, was built at Mobile, Alabama, and launched in July 1863. She was then shipped by rail on 12 August 1863, to Charleston. Hunley (then referred to as the "fish boat", the "fish torpedo boat", or the "porpoise") sank on 29 August 1863, during a test run, killing five members of her crew. She sank again on 15 October 1863, killing all eight of her second crew, including Horace Hunley himself, who was aboard at the time, even though he was not a member of the Confederate military. Both times Hunley was raised and returned to service.

On 17 February 1864, Hunley attacked and sank the 1,240-displacement ton United States Navy screw sloop-of-war Housatonic (killing 2 officers and 3 crew members), which had been on Union blockade-duty in Charleston's outer harbor. Hunley did not survive the attack and also sank, taking with her all eight members of her third crew, and was lost."

Yes.

Good ol' Southern ingenuity! ;).

I wouldn't recommend it.

"sank on 29 August 1863, during a test run, killing five members of her crew...She sank again on 15 October 1863, killing all eight of her second crew, including Horace Hunley himself...also sank, taking with her all eight members of her third crew, and was lost."

Yep killed 5 damn Yankees and 21 of its own Johnny Rebs...thats Winning! Southern style. :thumbsup

Hurst shifter for the Schwinn!

I never had one but I did have the banana seat and sissy bar on a metallic lime Schwinn.

^^^^I had one, mine was a 3 speed with a normal sized front tire. We could get two on the seat and one sitting in the handlebars back in the day.

That shifter location caused SEVERE pain on more than one occasion.

My cousin had one of those Schwinns in yellow. "banana peel" I think it said on the chain guard. The rear slick was cool. I think it's my earliest recollect of envying a rich kid.

I've said for years that Hi-Lift/farm jacks are a product liability law suit looking for a place to happen. They are a VERY versatile tool....99% of them have been strapped to various vehicle for years, all types, styles, versions of protective covers...zero maintenance,,,I'd venture a guess that 50% of the vehicles that carry one have NO adequate jacking points to even make use of it. Of the remaining 50% that have adequate jacking points, 5% of the owners have ever practiced using such a jack in their driveway or other controlled environment, of that group, maybe 3% have used one in anger, (pulling numbers out of thin air, my best guesstimate over the years).

I quit carrying one because every time one is needed there are 10 people in the group that come running with their pristine jacks, begging some one to use it. Pour a coke over the working mechanism to get it freed up, a shot of lubricant and it's usually good to go. NEVER, EVER get your head between the jack and the handle. Ever seen the cartoon where a bumper/Hi-Lift/farm jack takes off...it happens.

Jack handle make a great sleeve for a bent tie rod/drag link on a Jeep CJ/YJ in a pinch.

I quit carrying the hi-lift because it just never got used enough to justify the space, weight, etc..., but I kept the handle. The handle got used all the time as a cheater bar, so it earned its keep.

Back
Top Bottom