The Random Thoughts Thread

Every now and then I run across something on the internet that causes me to reevaluate my life. These photos for example:

IMG_20200113_130418.jpg

IMG_20200113_130405.jpg

IMG_20200113_130352.jpg

I need a truck like that in my life....

Cultural authorities from Cusco, the region where Machu Picchu is located, said feces were found in the Temple of the Sun. The group was made up of one French, two Brazilians, two Argentines and a Chilean, according to police.

At least they weren't Americans :coffee

Random thought: insurance companies make no sense.

Bought a bike at an insurance auction yesterday. 2018 KLX 250 with 184 miles on it. No visible damage in any of the listing photos other than a bent brake lever and missing mirrors. Listed with a salvage title so the insurance company totaled it for something.

Got it home, needed a new battery and the crankshaft position sensor was unplugged. Fixed those two items and it fired right up. After a wash it looks brand new other than some scratches on the plastics.

Why would this bike have been a total loss? Not that I'm complaining.

IMG_20200116_173655.jpg

Only thing I can think of is that it's possessed by an evil spirit that causes it to crash and kill whoever is riding it!

Ok, is it possible that it crashed and then wouldn't start so THAT's why they totaled it?

Could have been stolen and the claim was paid out, which would equal total loss to the insurance company. I think at that point it is listed as salvage if it shows back up after the payout.

Found out why it was totaled out. After plugging that disconnected sensor in but before starting the bike I checked the oil in the sight glass and it looked new and oil level was good. Started the bike and ran it for just a few minutes.

Today I replaced the damaged tube in the front tire and decided to change all the fluids in the bike just in case. Pulled the drain plug and this is what I got:

IMG_20200117_145032.jpg

IMG_20200117_145037.jpg

Poor bike tried to swim at some point. Now I get to tear down an engine. So much for easy fixes.

Found out why it was totaled out. After plugging that disconnected sensor in but before starting the bike I checked the oil in the sight glass and it looked new and oil level was good. Started the bike and ran it for just a few minutes.

Today I replaced the damaged tube in the front tire and decided to change all the fluids in the bike just in case. Pulled the drain plug and this is what I got:

View attachment 49299

View attachment 49300

Poor bike tried to swim at some point. Now I get to tear down an engine. So much for easy fixes.

Betcha the bent brake lever and scratches on a 184 miles only bike have something to do with the dunking it must have taken. Hope the tear-down rebuild goes smoothly and there are no other surprises.

At least you'll know it was done right.

Could be flood damage too. Submersion in a garage. Who knows.

I bet you still got a killer deal when it’s all said and done ;)

@Scott B. Projects are good, right? Waiting on some parts to arrive this afternoon for the bike and then it's off to inspection later this week to get re-titled.

Thinking this will be a good next project:

project.jpg

Back
Top Bottom