The Random Thoughts Thread

It’s so bad liberty is secured. No training, shelter indoors.

Coldest temps I’ve ever seen. Wind chill is brutal.

-12*, -26* with wind chill and the lumberjacks are still working...

IMG_7340.JPG

...I guess the Navy should invest in Carharts instead of Snuggies... ;)

-26 here this am, -55 with wind chill. State of emergency declared in IL and WI.

Nothing matters at 50 below. It don't matter what you wear, or how hard you think you are. At these temps it's just game over.

Back when I was a LOGGER, there’s no freakin’ way we would have stuck a saw into a 150 ft tall fir in these temps. Trees freeze too...

Meanwhile, it's 100 degrees warmer back home in CA. FML.

Last Monday, when temps were 17 degrees F, our backhoe operator broke an 8" water main at the same 60 psi. The same said "shitload" of water filled the excavation, before flowing down the street & making a "shitload" of ice requiring an equal "shitload" of salt to alleviate the frozen road. Nobody seemed to care about our soaking wet bodies. How much anger did we have?
A shitload!

Got home tonight and took a walk around the property because the chilled air felt good, It's amazing how warm -10* feels when the day starts out at -25*. Snow was hard to break path as there is an ice crust half way down the snowpack, gave the old legs a good workout. On my small patrol I came across a couple of serious bunny paths...
DSC_0943.JPG

Time to set some snares 'cause bunnies are tasty.

-26 here this am, -55 with wind chill. State of emergency declared in IL and WI.

Nothing matters at 50 below. It don't matter what you wear, or how hard you think you are. At these temps it's just game over.

Back when I was a LOGGER, there’s no freakin’ way we would have stuck a saw into a 150 ft tall fir in these temps. Trees freeze too...

Meanwhile, it's 100 degrees warmer back home in CA. FML.
You know I'm just picking on you.

Loggers were working today taking advantage of the first real freeze of this winter. Many mills are out of logs because of the rain and lack of cold weather this year so they're working when their able. Plus it takes more than one or two days to freeze a tree on this side of the Mississippi and we have big tops to soften the fall.

Actually, the Navy is issuing new coveralls.
Speaking to the Navy’s fire-room engineers, Runstrom said the Navy’s new getup offers the same protection as commercial offerings from Carhartt and Bulwark, which have become the preferred engineering coveralls for many of the Navy’s gas turbine, diesel and steam machinists and technicians.
https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2018/02/02/the-navy-is-rolling-out-new-coveralls-finally/

TGIF...This week has been one adventure after another. A piece of equipment that always works flawlessly won't turn on? Fuse is blown but the breaker is not tripped. What would cause that?. I feel bad for him, maybe he was depressed about the weather...
mouse.jpg

TGIF...This week has been one adventure after another. A piece of equipment that always works flawlessly won't turn on? Fuse is blown but the breaker is not tripped. What would cause that?. I feel bad for him, maybe he was depressed about the weather...

I had this happen last summer, on the hottest day of the year with our A/C at home. Two good sized lizards shorted across the capacitor and crispy themselves to the point they blew up from the inside out.

I couldn't ship the fuel for my jetboil to Australia so one of the first things I did after picking up the motorcycle was google "camping supply store jetboil". "Anaconda in Melton, AU" was the result and it wasn't far away.

Sweet! I'll just head in and, hey, a Dometic sign. I'll just stroll... on... by... good Lord.
IMG_20190207_091243.jpg

^^^^Dave, I think you would be surprised how clean they get the area after the event. Dave Cole is a big land use advocate.

I'm not so much on the crowds, either. Machelle was the "medical director" the first two years. We had maybe 500 people on the lake bed, total.

Back
Top Bottom