The Random Thoughts Thread

This thing is gorgeous. One hell of a restoration.

http://xp-82twinmustangproject.blogspot.com/

DJI_0038.jpg

I was thinking, "what a nice model, but he's not going to fool me", and then I clicked on the link. Now I'm embarrassed to stand up.

I had no idea these exquisitely rare birds could even been found and hadn't already been turned into ignots of aluminum. Thanks for sharing that! :thumbsup

When I came across the article that photo was used as the title image. I too thought it was going to be some sort of RC model.

CM2_0344-Edit-2.jpg

DSC_2400.JPG

This was going to be a completely different post.

Today. My sister gave me her ex husband's Persian Gulf War backpack. He dropped it off and never touched it again. I unpacked it. I wanted to look into the past and see a picture of someone's life almost 30 years ago. A real picture of something someone wanted to forget. Not a facade we all sometimes put up.

NBC pants and mask. The pants still covered in sand. 3 MREs. The plastic dry rotted. A military canteen. Missing a snap. A spare personal canteen. Because one obviously wasn't enough. Various odds and ends but something else was there. I worked enough outside jobs to know it.

The smell of sweat. This humbles me. Almost 30 years later the bottom of the pack still reeks of it. It's the sum of everything he went through. Everything he did and didn't want to do but did it anyway. 30 years later it's still there.

IMG_20181229_221024.jpg

Last edited:
I look at the new gear our service members get, with all the armor, knee pads, MOLLE loops, and velcro patches as far as the eye can see, and remember my old ALICE gear being simple and awesome. The truth is, I don't know that I was ever issued a pair of canteen holders that didn't have at least one broken or missing snap. The canteens had little NBC tops and retainers that were always broken and useless. The cinch straps on the pack (and waist straps - Hell, basically all of the straps) would come loose and have to be tied in knots to keep them in place. OK, maybe ALICE gear kinda sucked. Then again, maybe it was really good gear and we were just asking a lot of it. Sounds like this guy's gear did its job.

Random thought...PEOPLE SUCK! I went riding Saturday. Some genius threw a what I think is a burned mattress spring in the woods. I did not see it and apparently hooked it. As I drove, it wrapped really tightly around the passenger wheel, brake rotor and caliper. I had put new wheels on the machine last year. They require a deep well 9/16 socket to remove. Rather than put one of my "good" sockets in my trail kit, I bought a 9/16 impact socket. I never tested it. Turns out the impact socket has a thicker construction and would not fit in the wheel! Anyway, I can't take the wheel off and only have a small pair of dikes...What a mess!! The finally tally includes two flat tires, unfix-able. The wire sliced the sidewalls. I don't think it got my cv boot (please God). My faith in humanity was partially restored when a crew of riders stopped, drove me back to my truck/trailer and helped me load this mess.
IMG_0603.jpeg

Random interweb picture of a mattress wrapped around a driveshaft. The story goes that the driver ran over it on the freeway.

The story goes that the driver ran over it on the freeway.

I am thinking that I got this in a large puddle. I was on a road, I would have seen it otherwise. I think it was set as a booby trap. I was just putting around, not fast. When I heard it, I thought I had picked up a stick... Damn Tread Lightly BS! Drive through the puddle, not around it...

Last edited:
Random thought...PEOPLE SUCK! I went riding Saturday. Some genius threw a what I think is a burned mattress spring in the woods. I did not see it and apparently hooked it. As I drove, it wrapped really tightly around the passenger wheel, brake rotor and caliper. I had put new wheels on the machine last year. They require a deep well 9/16 socket to remove. Rather than put one of my "good" sockets in my trail kit, I bought a 9/16 impact socket. I never tested it. Turns out the impact socket has a thicker construction and would not fit in the wheel! Anyway, I can't take the wheel off and only have a small pair of dikes...What a mess!! The finally tally includes two flat tires, unfix-able. The wire sliced the sidewalls. I don't think it got my cv boot (please God). My faith in humanity was partially restored when a crew of riders stopped, drove me back to my truck/trailer and helped me load this mess.View attachment 42880
...that kinda sucks... :mad:

Back
Top Bottom