The Random Dose of FUNNY Thread

30441714_1922181431178459_8022457472465764352_n.png

Do you really think they will listen? After all they didn't heed the salesman's delivery spiel or the owners manual?

When the Rubicon's first came out I had a customer that spun one out into a ditch the first time she drove it in the rain. She and her husband called a tow truck to get it out. When they got the car to the dealership her husband blamed me for the vehicle having twitchy steering...I got the "Do Not Read Book" out of the glove box and showed him all of the yellow "Caution!" boxes with driver warnings and asked him if he and his wife had read them...blank stare. Then I asked them why they didn't put it in 4wd and drive out of the ditch on their own...blank stare...then his wife tells me that the thought never occurred to her that she had 4wd.

Rubicon's were sold as the top of the line Wrangler when they came out by most sales departments, ie "Denali", "King Ranch", etc. Load Range "E" BFG mud tires (even at 32 psi they rode like crap), hood stickers and a bunch of other stuff that the customer would never use, couldn't explain, but they had bragging rights with their cronies!

I had customers bring Wranglers in after the "cute" wore off, and they had to live with the damn thing tell me that it had excessive wind noise...sir, you're driving a brick with a pup tent on top, it's going to be noisy, it get's crappy fuel economy...did you look at the fuel economy numbers before you bought it, yes sir, I know it's a 6 cylinder (or even worse a 4 banger), it also weighs 4000 pounds and your engine was designed in 1932, with upgrades over the years, it doesn't even have a cross flow cylinder head, and will probably be marginal at best on a CA smog inspection 5 years from now. I can see the spot welds in the body...sir, let me show you the spot welds on the brand spanking new ones, which is the way that yours looked when it was "cute" to your wife. It rides like crap...let me show you the solid axles under your vehicle, and the Load Range "E" tires that are on it, then we'll run it across the scales and you'll realize that a 4000 pound vehicle on a 94" wheelbase doesn't equal ride quality...EVER. I could keep going across every car line I've ever worked with (all of the GM brands except Chevy (Saturn, Saab, Pontiac and Olds by default), Jeep and KIA.

Funny thing is I got called in to have a discussion with my manager's this afternoon...all the way up to the CEO of the company...those cats accused ME of having an attitude problem!:eek: It's almost a trend with me...Division Officers straight out of Canoe U (Naval Academy) also accused me of having a bad attitude in my Navy days. Apparently I've had a BUNCH of crappy Division Officers and managers, no other way for me to explain the false accusations to me.:confused:

Last edited:
Bob you need to find the company suggestion box and suggest they offer a cheese plate at the service counter? :D

It's becoming a dog and pony show at dealerships. It's all about the amenities and not upsetting a customer more than it is about getting the cars fixed. If car brands put as much effort into building cars that work as they do in coddling the customer, my life would be so much easier. Electronics that are flashy but not intuitive is my biggest headache. Then there are so many "safety features" that are an attempt to fix stupid in the driver seat that somehow it's always the cars fault.

Another great example, I had a good customer bring his wife's Escalade in, he took me around to the passenger side rear corner and showed me some body damage...his wife hit the garage backing up. I told him that would have to go to a body shop for repair and it would be an insurance repair. He looked at me and asked me why it wasn't covered under warranty. His logic was it had a back up camera and back up sensors so it shouldn't have hit the garage. I pointed out that in addition to the back up camera and sensors the car is equipped with three rear view mirrors and his wife STILL hit the garage.

It's becoming a dog and pony show at dealerships. It's all about the amenities and not upsetting a customer more than it is about getting the cars fixed. If car brands put as much effort into building cars that work as they do in coddling the customer, my life would be so much easier. Electronics that are flashy but not intuitive is my biggest headache. Then there are so many "safety features" that are an attempt to fix stupid in the driver seat that somehow it's always the cars fault.

Another great example, I had a good customer bring his wife's Escalade in, he took me around to the passenger side rear corner and showed me some body damage...his wife hit the garage backing up. I told him that would have to go to a body shop for repair and it would be an insurance repair. He looked at me and asked me why it wasn't covered under warranty. His logic was it had a back up camera and back up sensors so it shouldn't have hit the garage. I pointed out that in addition to the back up camera and sensors the car is equipped with three rear view mirrors and his wife STILL hit the garage.

This isn't just the car industry, it's everywhere. Somewhere along the line the belief that "coddling the customer equals increased sales" blew up and its being taken to the extreme. I'm all for good customer service. I've spent a large part of my career providing it, coaching others on it and creating policies to promote it. There comes a point, however, when personal responsibility and accountability fall on the shoulder of the customer. The customer is always right, except when they're not.

Back
Top Bottom