The Original FlipPac Prototype

Dave

Adventurist
Founder
Senior Staff
Editor
Pretty sure this is the original prototype, serial number 1!

I know of the history between Six Pac and Flip Pac, and of the split, but I have never heard of Barr Industries and I never knew the design was this old. Now if someone... cough... Ursa Minor... cough... would just take this concept to the next level!

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...pack-drop-in-type-camper-for-sale-in-(so-cal)

Some highlights:

"It has some shelving built inside with tons of storage and can sleep 2 in the upper bed and the table can be removed to sleep one persone or a small couple, this thing has tons of space and works very well.The tag on the inside says it is the #1 proto type built in 1977."

"7 feet long, 16 inch bed depth, 57 inches from the roof to the bottom of the door, 45 inches from the bottom of the bed to the roof, and 63 inches wide, the rachet straps on the inside make an x to keep the tent/matress/sleeping bag up nice and tight when folded up I just remove them after the camper is open and all set up."

"Skinned with aluminum with a woods core and paneling on the inside,I as far as I know it is the same as a flip pack I've never actually seen one, its old but I think that's what makes it really cool!"

"Pretty sure this is flip pac #1, as described by US4176873"

camper.jpg

camper203.jpg

camper204.jpg

camper202.jpg

Note the location of Manufacture in Santee, CA. This along with the recent find by Trump of the Heilite Car-Topper made in Lodi, CA solidifies the origins of RTT's and "overland" style pop ups right here in California, USA :cool:

First%20Flip%20Pac%203.jpg

First%20Flip%20Pac%201.jpg

Hi there!

I was getting all nostalgic and started looking through photos of the camper. I grew up in the BarrTop. Dwight Barr, my grandfather invented it. I'm 27 and as far back as I can remember I was in a BarrTop, so that was at least the early 80's.

My grandfather loved to rough it while his wife, Mary Barr needed comfort. The BarrTop was one at least a few inventions about making camping more comfortable and was totally inspired by her. Everyone in our family had a BarrTop. In fact, we needed to hide the trucks from the parking lot for a surprise party for him because he certainly would have known what was up seeing BarrTops filling the parking lot.

When I was a kid my dad would open ours up in our driveway and I would camp inside with my friends or just hang out and play.
Here's what looks like his patent.
He is really an incredible person, and I miss him dearly. Just before he passed away, he wrote this book.

It makes me so happy to see that people are appreciating it so much. Whenever I see one, I can't stop smiling.

And another piece of RTT/FlipPac history captured by Suntinez
At FRP there is a picture of something called a "Flippac Jr" mounted on a red Suburban. It's basically two lids which are hinged together instead of the truck shell hinged to a lid. Mounted on a rooftop rack, done several years ago.

[edit - it was an explorer]
flippacjr.jpg

I've explained to Homer that there is a market for this thing, but ... he's busy with other stuff. :snorkel:

I like the flippac proto #1 posted here, a few more options for an interior buildout and it could fly! This one kinda reminds me of the BellaPSD (Louie's) build from a few years ago.

Last edited:
I had missed her post of the Flip-Pac Jr. That is about as aerodynamic as you could ever expect a RTT of that size to be... Ursa Minor should run with it.

I thought it was super cool that the lady whose grandpa invented these took the time to log in and post about it. I sure didn't know that stuff before she did, and I've followed these things for a few years now.

I still have no idea where the tent would fold up when closed on the "Flippac Jr". On my flippac, the mattress thickness ate up most of the vertical space of the lid, and the tent was supported by the flexible canopy on the shell side.

I guess if one of the 2 Flippac Jr lids was taller than the other it could work, but Homer said it was just two lids. That'd be a LOT of tent tucking though when closing. Always thought they should've put bungees on the inside to help with that. I know it's less of an issue on the smaller size tents but on my longbed, that thing was HUGE.

Still don't understand why no one is building these, we see all kinds of RTTs that aren't nearly so fun as the flippacs.

I did not know John [Ursa Minor] would do anything else besides his hard tops [Element/Jeep 4 door].

Sadly, he doesn't... yet... but I'm working on it. I talked with him a few times at OVX, laying on the pressure to open up his market. He has a few things he needs to overcome logistically in order to pull it off.

Sadly, he doesn't... yet... but I'm working on it. I talked with him a few times at OVX, laying on the pressure to open up his market. He has a few things he needs to overcome logistically in order to pull it off.

He does make some beautiful kayaks though.

He does make some beautiful kayaks though.

Wow, really? Noted.

I may need to drop in on him sometime. I have river toy envy right now thanks to our east coast contingency. I can see many river adventures in my future.

Wow, really? Noted.

I may need to drop in on him sometime. I have river toy envy right now thanks to our east coast contingency. I can see many river adventures in my future.

I think that was/is his first venture. They are on the walls of the showroom. Very light [carbon fiber I think] and very pricey.
John is a good guy. I really enjoy the Ecamper set up in less than one minute and nothing to move on the floor area since the sleeping is on the roof.
Trailering the Ural is new to us but, I guess I am getting softer and going from point A to B as such is nice. We often store the Ecamper/trailer and take off as we use to.

Fast forward many years later and James Baroud of Portugal comes along with a revolutionary carbon fiber (cellule carbone) homage to the original Barr Top design
:drool

I was at an Archery event with my 8' flippac deployed. Some one in our group said his father had come up with the design and sold to FRP. His last name is Barr. His fathers design was the the "Barr Top Camper" of San Diego.

Nice!

Back
Top Bottom