Desert Turtle - M1010 Build

Knocked out another small project on the camper. Installed the rear assist grab handle. Ended up using Riv-nuts installed into backing plates that were riveted to the door frame. Should be strong and allow for easy replacement should that ever be needed. Just by luck, the angle of the grab bar and the angle of the window happened to be the same. Looks good and really makes the goofy window design fit better. Started to mock in my Little Giant steps (was a step stool). Need to solve how I will mount them in use.

View attachment 60216

View attachment 60217

View attachment 60218

View attachment 60219

Is that a slide ramp just under the deck?

The slide out steps.

Is that a slide ramp just under the deck?

The slide out steps.

Yep, the original M1010 has a set of pull out steps (you can see in earlier pics posted). These are much more vertical of a rise and you really need to be careful when stepping out, to not miss them. My plan it to leave them installed and use them when I just need to quickly get in the back (like grabbing a drink, loading food, etc) but when we are stopped to camp, I will deploy the Little Giant steps which have a more natural incline and larger surface to step on.

Just a little update. Between the heat and problems with my knee, I have not been able to do as much work as I would like. I did finally get the step mount done. Simple and works. Created a flange mount with a block of aluminum and a piece of flat aluminum. Used Rivnuts on the box, to bolt it to. Then used L-track clip in mounts with a piece of aluminum L channel to create a plate the keeps the steps from unhooking, yet easy to clip on or off.

0910221111.jpg

0910221112.jpg

0910221116.jpg

0910221204.jpg

Back
Top Bottom