The how NOT to rig things thread!

Dave

Adventurist
Founder
Senior Staff
Editor
This thread is for sharing examples of how NOT to set up or use rigging. Fails and “WTH?” photos go here

EXAMPLE: :lol

29244510_868169835056_2663233136807964763_n.jpg

It is just amazing what you see on some "rigs" as you walk through the parking lot. I just love the completely over the top built up rigs with the rusted hi-lift jack and winches that have the cool Factor 55 thimble and the wire rope still has the factory wrap on the drum.

No idea what's holding that shackle on but I'll give the guy the benefit of the doubt and say maybe his rope broke? It at least looks like it's been used.

No idea what's holding that shackle on but I'll give the guy the benefit of the doubt and say maybe his rope broke? It at least looks like it's been used.

@bob91yj figured it out in post #4. It’s held on with PFM.

:rofl

That last one has the winch line spooling off the top of the drum. So, he (or she) has to power out to winch in the line.

-Andy

Helped out a lady on a desert drive with that problem She was trying to use her winch to stabilize another vehicle that was stuck on a bad side-hill, and couldn't figure out why the winch brake wouldn't hold. As soon as she took her finger off the switch it would spool back out. Winch brakes only work in one direction.

That last one has the winch line spooling off the top of the drum. So, he (or she) has to power out to winch in the line.

-Andy
Not necessarily, some actually do spool over the top, the factory warn power wagon winch is a good example

Not necessarily, some actually do spool over the top, the factory warn power wagon winch is a good example

That’s correct, the drum rotates in the opposite direction on the power wagon factory winch. I don’t know of any other winches that work that way. The warn vr in that photo is wound incorrectly and the duct tape on the splice at the thimble is unsettling.

-Andy

I'll add that the power wagon winch is a front mount winch which means the winching force is parallel to the mount. The winching force is perpendicular to the mount on bottom mount winches. This is significant because the force on the mount is increased as the distance increases between the rope and the mount. Spooling the rope off the top of the drum on a bottom mount winch could surpass the strength of the casting or the bolts at the mount.

-Andy

Back
Top Bottom