The Everyman Van

grantwilson

Adventurist
I am naming it this because i got really annoyed with seeing all these halfass conversions that people are trying to sell for 80-100k and I think I can do better.

Goal is to build and be done with this by mid Feb for sale

The Van-
2018 Base Model 2wd Cargo. No windows, minor options

The Plan-
Without compromising on the quality of components and materials Build a budget camper that Has all the things (almost) I put into my vans, at a killer price. We plan to make one every 4-6 weeks.

General Parts list:
Dometic Sink and stove unit
2 6 gallon water tanks under sink for fresh and grey water
Adventure Wagon Kit
2 Roof Fans
Laminate flooring
Seat Swivels
200 watts of solar
Solar Controller
queen mattress
Dometic CFX 50 and slide
Renogy 100ah AGM battery
Ctek charger
CRL T window
All aluminum construction bed, galley, slider cabinet etc Powdercoated white in this van
Solid Wood cabinet faces and drawers with a light grey stain
And more!

Van is ordered and on the way, along with all the parts.
I'll be updating the thread (of course), as well as doing some live streams of the build so you guys can talk **** while I work!

I don't think you find enough interest in the overland market without 4wd. A budget AWD or 4WD would be awesome. That said there may well be tons of interest outside of this forum. Best of luck

I don't think you find enough interest in the overland market without 4wd. A budget AWD or 4WD would be awesome. That said there may well be tons of interest outside of this forum. Best of luck
I think the overland market is full of idiots with fiat jeeps and subarus.

Yet there are million dollar companies doing it.

Your normal joe shmoe overlander goes to joshua tree and alabama hills. Dont need 4x4 for that.

However, for 30k i can give you an atlas transfer case and dana axles :)
Will be working with Uni Van, a converter in florida to develop a 110-120k fully equipped, REAL 4x4 sprinter as well. But lets not get ahead of ourselves. Gotta walk before we run !

The theory behind this is to get a situation that you can buy an off the shelf spec van, or bring your 144" and have the spec interior and system built in.

The same modifications can be on a 144" 4x4 chassis. Problem is, you cant buy a 4x4 right now. there are like 3 in the country, and they are all dumb configurations

Last edited:
Nice, the wife and I are strongly looking at buying and building a van 2wd van. She likes the sprinters however I am thinking the ford transit will be a more cost effective van in the long run. Are you sticking with sprinter?

Nice, the wife and I are strongly looking at buying and building a van 2wd van. She likes the sprinters however I am thinking the ford transit will be a more cost effective van in the long run. Are you sticking with sprinter?
adventure wagon is working on a transit interior kit. Once they do i will buy and build a transit. Will be the same price point since they are about the same price. Dunno your timeline, but may work in your favor

they say its a few months out

Untitled by Grant Wilson, on Flickr
looks weird, but its just the perspective. Working on getting all my van units in can for quick reproduction, material calculations, and less drop. When you make one of something, it doesn't matter. but when you make 5 at one time, it does. We are going to do a bunch of interior sets to make the subsequent vans much faster to put together.
also got 4 side windows in (for four vans of course)

Some more work is all done
All the insulation except the center pieces are in. Need to mount the solar panels first.
The window is installed for the side (the slider window) that will ventilate the cooking area.

I have to go get the flooring today after work, so i can put the floor in and down with insulation before i put the lower wall in. A nice durable and waterproof PVC unit that wont expand with the weather like the last floor

Will you do any type of sub floor to make it flat? I am considering this type of floor for my cargo trailer. I think it would be more water proof than a floor that pieces together.
Capturef.PNG

BOOM huge steps made.
Floor is back in with 3m insulation under it.
Lifeproof flooring trim routered and installed
Some of the wall panels installed

Goal is to install the two solar panels in the morning, run that wiring, and get the rest of the walls up.
Then i have to move the welding table and gear to the new shop and start slingin some metal!

Back
Top Bottom