The End of the Land Cruiser? (LC200)

kalieaire

Adventurist

1566321324198.png

definitely sad face.

Kurt from Cruiser Outfitters reached out to his contacts at Toyota about these rumors... They are not true. Put your happy face back on.

That's a relief. The idea of the Land Cruiser brand and config taking a hike and being left with the LX570 is really sad.

That's a relief. The idea of the Land Cruiser brand and config taking a hike and being left with the LX570 is really sad.

Agreed. I was watching closely for updates while trying to decide if I was gonna need to look at a used 200 series sooner than expected.

Agreed. I was watching closely for updates while trying to decide if I was gonna need to look at a used 200 series sooner than expected.

But hey, the 2008 models are pretty good in terms of pricing. I was thinking about selling my xB daily for one of those. I think they're much more desirable since they don't have that horribly implemented Entune infotainment system.

https://jalopnik.com/land-cruiser-canceled-heres-toyota-non-denial-denial-1837405488

This doesn't bode well. Typically Toyota's marketing would say "we have no plans to discontinue, be happy to know xyz"

They're basically like. "we haven't made the official announcement yet, so we'll tell you the super secret squirrel stuff tomorrow"

Jalopnik is staffed by the soy boys of vehicles. I trust them for vehicle news and info as much as I trust the typical youtube "influencer" for off-roading advice.

I choose to believe the anti-rumor-rumor. That said, it would not surprise me given how T sells the Land Cruiser in the US. We get a decked out 200 Series for $90K to compete with Land Rover and maybe Infinity(Nissan's US "Patrol"). T already uses a Lexus version (GX) of their Land Cruiser Prado instead of the real deal and no 70 Series, while elsewhere these are much more common, and arguably needed, along with stripped down versions of the 200 like what you see the UN masquerading in.

I imagine there is some debate happening inside Toyota with the inevitable 200 end and 300 (?) release. Their view of the US market is not that of the offroad or adventure enthusiast and is unfortunately pretty realistic. I have never seen a US Land Cruiser commercial outside of one making a cameo in a Toyota family setting, but the LX gets ad space. We also have Sequoias now with the TRD package and continued rumors of a short wheelbase offroad vehicle (it wont be an FJ40 revival either).

Seems hard to imagine for some that Toyota could consider dropping the Land Cruiser from US market space, but some are also bothered that Jeep considers IFS or a mid-engined Corvette.

The glass half full
I think Toyota is going to let the Lexus 570 cover the luxury SUV market. That's exactly the purpose the Lexus line was created for. I'd like to see Toyota re-purpose the Land Cruiser line out of the luxury SUVs and into something that competes against the Jeep Rubicon and Moab. Of course we've heard the rumors of another FJ Cruiser.

Speaking to MotorTrend at the 2018 Detroit Auto Show, Toyota Motor North America CEO Jim Lentz hinted the retired FJ Cruiser could be revived in the form of a new proper 4x4 vehicle. “There’s room for an authentic small off-road SUV,“ Lentz told the publication in Detroit. ”Everyone moved out of that segment because of truck CAFE ratings. But we’re getting a lot of requests from folks who want another FJ or some variant.”
source; Toyota Hints At FJ Cruiser Revival To Take On The Wrangler

If this is true. That Toyota is aiming at the Wrangler and Gladiator. Then "Land Cruiser" is the name to use.

And the glass half empty
And then Toyota badges a 4Runner with the "Land Cruiser" name sending a shock wave through every TLC forum & FB group on the internet.

UPDATE:

Toyota's issued a statement affirming that 2021 is the final year for the Land Cruiser as we know it. It reads, "The Toyota Land Cruiser has been a legendary name for more than 60 years. While it will be discontinued in the United States after the 2021 model year, we remain committed to the large SUV segment and will continue to explore future products that celebrate the Land Cruiser’s rich off-road history. We encourage loyal enthusiasts and intrepid adventurers to stay tuned for future developments."

After desiring a Land Cruiser since test driving an FJ40 in 1977, I jumbled some numbers, finagled and begged, and came home with a new one last month. No regrets at all (other than I'm on a spending freeze for, well, probably forever...)

I keep trying to convince myself that it only cost me the 4Runner trade in, and $75 out of pocket. (That's what I paid for some Apple stock 25 years ago that I just cashed in.) That didn't fool Deb at all. :shrug:

147290641_884726912071918_6986680327255646657_o.jpg

IMG_6006.jpeg

I know that I'll never use it to its full capabilities. And it will certainly outlast me. And that it doesn't have all the latest gizmos and gadgets (which to me is a good thing.) But damn, it is solid as a rock and a joy to drive! I'll die a happy man!! :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom