The Crazy Weather Thread

Dave

Adventurist
Founder
Senior Staff
Editor
Water, Wind, Fire, Ice and more. Post up crazy weather and natural disaster stuff to discuss.

I’ll start.

Crazy winds in New Mexico yesterday were strong enough to rip this train right off the tracks. Insane.

This is why you don’t camp under a railroad trestle...

8B66FFC4-DB45-4255-BE54-9F6129004670.jpeg

Raining lightly in San Diego again this morning. We need the water, but the bumper crop of weeds is going to make for a hell of a fire season.

We get winds in El Paso, TX that will close down the Interstate as well as local road. Not uncommon for a RV or tractor trailer truck to get blown over.

My favorite weather story took place at Overland Expo a few years back ; the mudfest. Having checked the weather before we left, my fiends and I were prepared for the nasty cold wet weather. About 90% of the people left the camping area Friday morning but we were prepared.

That Friday evening, we were hanging out inside the general store getting out of the snow and cold. There stood a guy in a t shirt and shorts shivering. he was pestering the clerk as to when FedEx was going to show up. She responded " They are usually here by now but the weather is so bad it is going to delay him" .

This guy then blurted out "The weather was so nice last year I didn't think to bring and warm clothing or rain gear. My wife overnight-ed me my stuff." We looked at each other and started snickering WTF ? At that point it was to get to the bar and get our innards warmed before trudging through the mud and snow to our tents. If FedEx ever showed we don't know.

We discussed if it was us, and we showed up that unprepared , we'd be headed to town to Walmart, Goodwill, Army surplus to get warm and dry clothing.

"Potentially historic" storm to slam hard-hit Plains, Midwest

1554838768012.jpg

Computer model projection showing a major storm in the Central U.S. on April 11, 2019.

A rapidly intensifying storm will send temperatures plummeting by more than 40°F across the western and Central Plains on Wednesday, spawning an April blizzard that could dump more than 2 feet of snow in some areas.
Why it matters: This storm will paralyze a huge area of real estate and potentially set up beleaguered states such as Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin, among others, for more flooding in coming days. It could also set records for snowfall — with the potential for as much as 30 or more inches in parts of the Midwest — and for the lowest atmospheric pressure reading observed during the month of April in particular states.
Show less
Go deeper492 Words

The air pressure reading is significant because the lower the air pressure, the stronger the storm. Remarkably, this bomb cyclone, so named because of its rapid rate of intensification, is following on the heels of another such storm that struck the same general region last month.
That event led to a multibillion dollar damage bill, mainly due to widespread flooding that even overran a major U.S. Air Force Base outside of Omaha.
Details: Wednesday's storm is slated to spread a smorgasbord of weather hazards, from flash flooding and severe thunderstorms to blizzard conditions, from Colorado to Minnesota and southward to the Gulf Coast. At its peak intensity late Wednesday, winds could whip above 60 MPH across multiple states from the Great Basin to the Upper Midwest.
  • In some areas, whiteout conditions will render travel impossible, with the National Weather Service warning of "life-threatening travel conditions" as the storm intensifies rapidly. Heavy, wet snow plus high winds could create long-lasting power outages as well.
  • The heaviest snow looks to fall in eastern South Dakota and western Minnesota, where 24 to 30 inches is possible, according to the NWS.
  • Some states, like Nebraska, could see severe thunderstorms, heavy rain, icing and blizzard conditions at the same time.
Between the lines: It's not unusual to see powerful low pressure systems erupt in the Central U.S. during April, given the clash between winter and spring air masses at this time of year.
  • However, a low pressure area that intensifies at least 24 millibars within 24 hours, occurring so soon after a similar storm broke low pressure records, is noteworthy, though is not assured in this case.
  • This event is forecast to be about 3 to 4 standard deviations below average, when it comes to surface pressure, which is indicative of a particularly powerful storm. It's conceivable that an April low pressure record will be set in Kansas as the low pressure center pinwheels across that state.
What's next: The big concern after this storm departs will be the snowmelt from whatever snowpack it deposits, as well as any rain water runoff that could send already high rivers and streams back over their banks.
The NWS has already warned of the likelihood for a potentially devastating spring flood season in the Midwest and Mississippi River Valley, and this storm is the type of event that forecasters have feared.
Be smart: Although the blizzard conditions will only hit a select few states, millions will be affected by this storm as it will kick up strong winds and raise wildfire risks from the Southwest to the Great Lakes.
Air travel at multiple hubs, including Denver, Chicago, Minneapolis and even Dallas is likely to be hit with weather-related delays related to either heavy snow, strong winds, thunderstorms or a combination of these threats through early Thursday.

APPLE NEWS SOURCE

Back
Top Bottom