the Bush Winch

LOL, never ben offered before. They've been around a long time, especially in the military and agriculture; pretty sure Land Rover and Jeep offered a factory optional setup years ago as well.

LOL, never ben offered before. They've been around a long time, especially in the military and agriculture; pretty sure Land Rover and Jeep offered a factory optional setup years ago as well.

Yup

I’ve seen this before. Neat idea, but I question the ability of 5 or 6 lugs doing well with that much torque applied to them so far towards the end. I would not trust it, and from a rigging standpoint it would be extremely hard to keep those lines (looks to be synthetic) away from abrasions and sharp edges on the vehicle - you’d need a couple spotters. At least. And then consider how much control you’d have regarding line speed. It would take practice.

Yeah, I’ll pass.

Yup

I’ve seen this before. Neat idea, but I question the ability of 5 or 6 lugs doing well with that much torque applied to them so far towards the end. I would not trust it, and from a rigging standpoint it would be extremely hard to keep those lines (looks to be synthetic) away from abrasions and sharp edges on the vehicle - you’d need a couple spotters. At least. And then consider how much control you’d have regarding line speed. It would take practice.

Yeah, I’ll pass.
^^ This. Wheel studs are the weak link.

Military applications for this type of recovery winch on small tactical vehicles required mounting to the axle; that mounting point on the axle also allows insertion of a 19mm pin of a 3/4-inch shackle to be used as a hasty tie-down point.

Canada9.jpg

This would only work with a locker, right? Wouldn't the power transfer to the opposite wheel

Apply a little "red-neck locker" or LFBM. Which is how I suppose you would control line-speed anyway.

A final comment:

They probably don't have to do many water crossings in the Australian desert. Like engine driven winches, if your rig dies in the middle of a stream, this ain't gonna help you any . . .

Plenty of water crossings in the Australian outback after it rains. Lots of washouts left afterwards as well.

Yeah I was cringing watching the video when he ground it against the sides of that washout; damage the edges, damage the rope.

Back
Top Bottom