The Blue Whale - 2016 Power Wagon

yellowranger1

Adventurist
IMG_0539.jpg

Hi all, I've been using this forum for a bit now and decided to finally start a thread on here for our 2016 Ram Power Wagon. I brought the truck home July '16, and have been loving it ever since. The truck has changed a bit since these pics were taken, I'll keep adding to the thread and updating as time permits.

IMG_0919.jpg

First thing to change on the truck was the oem tires. I swapped them out to a set of 37" BFG Ko2 I already had for another truck. These were on here for a few thousand miles, and I was very happy with their performance on road and off, and they were very quiet, but I was having trouble balancing them, so they were recently swapped out to 35" Toyo Rt and have no complaints. There is zero rubbing now with the 35s from full lock to lock, on or off road.

Stock 285s vs 37" ko2

IMG_0535.JPG

35s vs "37s"

8F553FEC-C3F0-4E8F-A847-992B0174298C.jpg

A friend of ours (@ttmotorsports in Simi Valley) built some weld on rock sliders, they've come in very handy more than once now, definitely cheap insurance on such a big truck!

IMG_0953.JPG

I was planning to add a few accessories down the road such as lighting, radio, on board air, and I really didn't like the idea of drilling my nice new dash for a bunch of individual switches, and I came across the SwitchPros panel. I've been extremely happy with the SP8100, wiring is not one of my strong points and this compact unit makes it a breeze. I found some space on a factory corner gusset/bracket in the driver side front front corner of the engine bay. The switch panel fit nicely just above the parking brake release handle. My only gripe about the panel is it has green backlighting, would be a non issue except a couple of weeks after installing mine, switch pro released a panel with blue backlighting that would have been a better match for the truck. It's a couple hundred bucks for a new panel, so I can live with green backlighting I guess lol.

I used a set of a pillar light mounts to add a set of Baja Designs XL-80 driving/combo pattern lights. I've used BD hid and led lights in the pst and they never disappoint, quality is always top notch, excellent output, and customer service is second to none from initial orders through maintenance or repairs.

IMG_2817.JPG

IMG_2820.JPG

IMG_2732.JPG

IMG_2507.JPG

IMG_2524.JPG

First thing to change on the truck was the oem tires. I swapped them out to a set of 37" BFG Ko2 I already had for another truck. These were on here for a few thousand miles, and I was very happy with their performance on road and off, and they were very quiet, but I was having trouble balancing them, so they were recently swapped out to 35" Toyo Rt and have no complaints. There is zero rubbing now with the 35s from full lock to lock, on or off road.

Stock 285s vs 37" ko2

View attachment 29894

35s vs "37s"

View attachment 29896

A friend of ours (@ttmotorsports in Simi Valley) built some weld on rock sliders, they've come in very handy more than once now, definitely cheap insurance on such a big truck!

View attachment 29897

Sliders are really nice! Would you think the shop would be interested in making another set? I have a '16 2500 Crewcab also. Thanks!

Before you guys start to think this thing is strictly a mall crawler, there have been a few adventures between bringing the truck home and the mods so far, I'll add a post later with some trip pictures, its earned some pinstripes! For now, I'll keep adding truck progress.

Before our New Years trip to Toroweap, we picked up a used Tepui Kukenam XL tent. It's a huge upgrade over our previous Kamprite Tent Cot in both size and comfort. I borrowed a rack for it from Tommy/TT Motorsports until he had time to build a rack specifically for the truck.

IMG_3235.JPG

And mounted on the new rack after powder coat. It's built to hold the tent, and has a rack up front to hold a couple of 8gal action packers full of gear as well as a cooler and hi lift. The rack is removable to suit the cargo for the trip or allow full bedspace, etc.

IMG_5517.JPG

Nosebleed section!

IMG_5524.JPG

IMG_5494.JPG

Also had TT Motorsports add some tabs for lighting on the bed rack, there's a side light on each side, as well as a dust light and backup light on the back. Switchpro coming in handy again, just had to put together a simple harness from the power module to the rack, everything is still on individual plugs. Again,using BD lights, S2 sports this time in flood/scene lighting pattern.

IMG_5485.JPG

Last edited:
Sliders are really nice! Would you think the shop would be interested in making another set? I have a '16 2500 Crewcab also. Thanks!

Thanks! I would imagine so, he has built another set for my friend Jesse (Great White Buffalo thread on here) his set is bolt on rather than weld on. If you like, I can forward you TT Motorsports contact info, you if you're on Instagram, he's on there by the same name.

Thanks! I would imagine so, he has built another set for my friend Jesse (Great White Buffalo thread on here) his set is bolt on rather than weld on. If you like, I can forward you TT Motorsports contact info, you if you're on Instagram, he's on there by the same name.
That would be great Thank you. I'll look him up on IG also.

Looks awesome! I have a 16 Ram 2500 and these pics are giving me ideas, 35s looking good and will be soon as these stockers wear out. Where did you get the pillar lights mounts from and what made you go with weld on vs. bolt on sliders? The sliders are a welcome addition on these beasts...

Sorry I haven't added more on here yet... the a pillar mounts were purchased from SDHQ, and mount using a bolt on the hood hinge and I believe one additional existing hole with supplied hardware, no drilling required. Those XL80 lights are impressive as heck, my truck is not fast enough off road at night to really need any additional light, although I would like to add some forward facing amber lights for use in dust/fog to have as an alternative.

I'll work on adding some trip photos here in the next day or two... luckily I recently backed up my photos using a google app because I broke my old phone at work!

Nice, thanks for the info. My truck is not near capable to need so much light power either but I hate not being able to see much at night or whats ahead of me..Baja Designs are probably what I will get as well. Customer service is top notch I've heard and i believe in the BUY ONCE, CRY ONCE motto as you usually get what you pay for:)

Back
Top Bottom