The Adventure Wagon A 2015 Power Wagon

Chris Griggers

Adventurist
Author
This is going to be a rather “mild” build compared to our old flatbed Tacoma. First let me give you a little bit of history on how a diehard Toyota fan ended up in a Ram truck…

Like I said I am a diehard Toyota fan and still am! My first truck was a 1979 Toyota pickup, my wife still drives and wheels her 2003 v8 4x4 4runner and my daily driver is a 2006 Prius. Our last truck was a 2013 and a lot of time and money was spent on it to cope with all of the added weight we carried around. That truck was the bee’s knees and was finally to a point where I considered it to be the ultimate family adventure truck. That was until I was blessed with a little girl! I am not a very big or tall guy and my knees where practically on the dash with a car seat behind me. Add the dog and the other baby stuffs and we quickly ran out of cabin space. The other tipping point was one I choose to ignore for a long time, the fact that I was a tad bit over on the weight. Although the truck handled all of the extra weight well and laid down thousands of trouble free miles on and off road. I finally took the truck to a cat scale, we were loaded with what I would call a very light set up that day. We packed very light and I did not have the 31 gallons of water that would normally be packed around.

Cat Scale 2013 Tacoma & 2017 FWC Swift

Steer Axle 2,840lb
Drive Axle 4,300lbs
Gross Weight 7,200lbs

After that my wife and I decided it was time up go back to a bigger truck. We briefly thought about getting another Tundra since we loved our old 2007 crewmax with the sweet 5.7 v8. But it just did not have the payload we wanted. So that lead me to getting a truck I had always wanted a dodge ram with the all mighty Cummins turbo diesel. I had had 3 diesels in the past two f250 with the 7.3 and one suburban with the 6.5. So I was not new to the diesel world, but a lot has change in that market since my last one back in 2003.

The price of these trucks is ridicules now and with the new emissions stuffs causing troubles I was a bit timid to jump back into one. After coming to my senses I realized that a new diesel was just not in the cards for us right now. This truck would sit during the week and will only be used for occasional light work and camping. So I just could not justify the added coast of the diesel for a truck that would not be used regularly.

20180427_130904.jpg

That should just about bring us up to date. The truck we ended up with is a 2015 black crystal pearl coat Ram Power Wagon that had 40k miles on it. Let me say this truck is AWESOME!!! It has plenty of power room and off road capability straight from the factory. Folks keep saying how much the fuel mileage sucks, but I don’t think it’s bad at all. Hell its gets the same if not better than my Tacoma did and it’s 3 times the truck that was.

I purchased it with a few mods already on it. It has had the windows tinted as well as the top of the windshield. It also has window deflectors, E ratted Nitto Terra Grappler G2 in stock size, some dinky N Fab steps, flow master replacement muffler and a bakflip fibermax tonneau cover. I don’t plan on making this truck to crazy thinking 35 or 37 inch tires, upgrade the shocks add sliders, snorkel, maybe a front bumper and boom done! At least that’s the plan.
20180422_152115.jpg

Last edited:
I'd bet you will be happy with either of those. I believe mine is a Firestone kit, but I did not install so I am not sure (may be airlift....)

Is the camper blocked up in those pics? Looks way above the bed rails.

Following along as I have been looking at Tundras.

Had to change our plans and shift course to a more local campground. This boat is just to unstable for the highway right now. Hopefully I can get the suspension sorted out before our trip to the UP in two weeks!
20180504_195724.jpg

Looks great. I recently made a switch to some 16" rims and BFG all terrains that I got from a buddy at no charge. They run great around town. Immediately upon loading the camper I noticed a difference in handling... more boat like or "Squishy" as Ann put it. I checked the tires... "D" rating. You might check to make sure you are on E rated tires. Just a thought.

Last edited:
I'd consider using 2500 coils vice the Power Wagon's spring rate on the rear. Also, it's worth looking into the difference between the PW rear sway bar and the regular 2500 sway bar. I imagine the PW's is skinnier to allow more flex. Track bar and sway bar do two different things for you.

They may be a straight swap which will help handle the camper ;)

From what I have been reading the track bar will help firm up the suspension some. Good idea on looking into the sway bar.

I am also looking into a new set of rear spring from Dobinsons. They look to add an additional 1,100 pounds of cargo capacity and seem to be about the same height as the stock PW coils.

https://www.dobinsonsprings.com/4x4-suspension/dodge/dod-11/dod-11-catalogue-page/dod-11/download

I'd consider using 2500 coils vice the Power Wagon's spring rate on the rear. Also, it's worth looking into the difference between the PW rear sway bar and the regular 2500 sway bar. I imagine the PW's is skinnier to allow more flex. Track bar and sway bar do two different things for you.

They may be a straight swap which will help handle the camper ;)

Got the Thuren rear track bar kit finally installed. Was a fairly straight forward install. Had to drill 3 new holes and enlarge two others. Ended up killing one of my drill bits in the process.

Looking forward to getting it on the road tomorrow to see how she rides. Now I just need to get the blue sea fuse box and our old ARB refrigerator installed before the UP trip this weekend.

20180514_171153.jpg
20180514_194050.jpg
20180514_194034.jpg

The of the wagon is pretty soft to allow for greater travel, and while the track bar should help improve things, I'm not sure about the weight with your camper there. Is that from your Tacoma? Anyhow, the factory 2500 rear sway bar is much larger.

I doubt you would be doing this with the camper, but you could switch over to it, and just pull an endlink off one side when you want the articulation. But I imagine with the bags and the Thuren trackbar it should ride a little smoother.

It handles alot better now, but not as good as the tacoma did with the camper on. I think the missing piece is an adjustable set of shocks. That should really let me be able to dial it in like I was able to with the Taco. Good idea with the rear sway bar disconnect. I was thinking somthing along the same lines.

The of the wagon is pretty soft to allow for greater travel, and while the track bar should help improve things, I'm not sure about the weight with your camper there. Is that from your Tacoma? Anyhow, the factory 2500 rear sway bar is much larger.

I doubt you would be doing this with the camper, but you could switch over to it, and just pull an endlink off one side when you want the articulation. But I imagine with the bags and the Thuren trackbar it should ride a little smoother.

Pulled out the small section of the rear seat today so I could install our old ARB 50 refrigerator. It came out nicely and there is still lots of room. Thinking I may build some sort of storage under it and raise the refrigerator up so that the top is level with the bottom of the rear window.

20180515_182942.jpg
20180515_181018.jpg
20180515_181031.jpg
20180515_185549.jpg
20180515_185729.jpg
20180515_185748.jpg

Took our first trip in the PW and it confirmed that we made the right decision on selling the taco. All of the extra room in the truck was nice and we never felt cramped in the truck. Fuel mileage stayed around 11.5 to 13 mpg so right around the same to slight better than the taco. It was range though to have the added range of the larger tank. With the taco we filled up at about 150-200 miles with the PW its now 300. We normally fill up when we have about 1/4th tank remaining. Here's a few photos from out trip to the Michigan Keweenaw peninsula.
FB_IMG_1526853975194.jpg

20180520_080736.jpg

20180519_130338.jpg

20180519_142054.jpg

The famous Gay Bar in Gay Michigan, its not an actual gay bar BTW. It dose have some great fried pickles and a yummy root beer float. Its also one of the few places you can purchase gas.

20180519_131206.jpg

Yes she was actually sleeping like that for a while!

20180519_153751.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom