The 325 Degree Three Coal Rule for Dutch Ovens

Greg

Adventurist
Senior Staff
Just a handy PDF I found about the 325/3 coal rule and coal placement for different types of cooking.

Starting with the diameter of the Dutch oven. Subtract 3 from the diameter and add that number of coals to the bottom. then add 3 to the diameter and add that number of coals to the top. This will produce a 325 degree temperature in your oven. example: For a 12 inch Dutch oven, use 9 coals on the bottom and 15 on top. (This is a General purpose oven. Or an oven that you can cook most things in.)

Then for every 2 coals added or subtracted, the temperature raises or lowers 25 degrees. Remember 3, 2, and 25 degrees. but remember this is not an exact science!

Attachments

• dutch_oven.pdf
    101.1 KB · Views: 86
That's fancy. I use the "couple scoops under, few scoops on top" method. Of course my ARV 5 year birthday cake didn't place in the cook-off, so maybe I need to pull out the abbicus.

That's fancy. I use the "couple scoops under, few scoops on top" method. Of course my ARV 5 year birthday cake didn't place in the cook-off, so maybe I need to pull out the abbicus.

I've known about the 325/3 coal rule for a while and for the most part it's kept me burning stuff. Except biscuits. Those always seem to get a overdone on the bottom and a little underdone on the top. That's where the second part of the PDF caught my eye. I've always placed the coals in a pattern for what they call "general baking." With the coals completely underneath the Dutch oven arranged in a circle to give an even heat. The pattern where the coals are placed in line with the walls of the oven may do the trick.

I'd bet the temp gun is measuring the surface temperature - it's probably a little cooler on the inside.

Back
Top Bottom