TEXAS

Anyone have Memorial Day weekend plans?
The lady and I are heading to Arizona to visit family, but were camping 3 days out and 3 days back. It'll be the first trip in the new Taco. Were taking the pup and it'll be her first road trip. Still haven't ironed out the camp spots and very open to any input/ideas/suggestions.
Were heading out Wednesday and Plan to be back in ATX between tuesday or wed. the following week.

Sorry headed to the Badlands and Yellowstone the 2nd. Sometime I'll be able to get together with you all ;)

That said next planned trip is Expo East... any other Texans headed that way?

hmmm 4th of July plans anyone? haha
We're on our way back from a 3 week trip from Brazos county to Tetons, Yellowstone and Glacier, planning to arrive home late on the 1st. So my 4th weekend will be spent cleaning and packing away gear. I do want to hit a TO event at some point though!

We're on our way back from a 3 week trip from Brazos county to Tetons, Yellowstone and Glacier, planning to arrive home late on the 1st. So my 4th weekend will be spent cleaning and packing away gear. I do want to hit a TO event at some point though!

How much longer would I need to add to my trip to go to Glacier? We are going ... Palo Duro, Medano Pass, Mt. Rushmore, Badlands then Yellowstone and Tetons. I am planning on coming back through the Gila's but I'd REALLY like to see Glacier :)

How much longer would I need to add to my trip to go to Glacier? We are going ... Palo Duro, Medano Pass, Mt. Rushmore, Badlands then Yellowstone and Tetons. I am planning on coming back through the Gila's but I'd REALLY like to see Glacier :)
Depends on what side of the park but basically 4-ish hours, totally worth it.

We are proud to announce that Texas Avid Outdoors has asked Texas Overland to partner with them in hosting their third annual Fall Outdoor Expo in south Austin. This event continues to grow every year, with over 400 attendees in its 2nd year. There will be many vendors, including Pronghorn Offroad, Ethos Offroad Trailers, Blue Line Expedition Outfitters, Habitat Offroad to just to name a few. Bring the family for a great Sunday afternoon outdoors. I've included the Facebook event page below.

https://www.facebook.com/events/197289584020786/?ti=icl

Headed over ne
Big Bend National Park is a great place for beginners. Any stock 4x4 can traverse 90% of the dirt roads. There are many primitive backcountry campsites throughout the park.

f208d750f0a446d26b8e51cba1a2d501.jpg

During peak times (Fall & Spring) all of the campsites can fill up quickly. Backcountry campsite permits can only be obtained in person. Because the park is in the middle of nowhere, I recommend reserving a room in nearby Terlingua for your first two nights in case no campsites are available.

The ranger station at Panther Junction sells a great backcountry road guide. It lists plenty of historical sites and places of interest based on mileage from the start of the road.

Some of the roads are great for mountain biking as well.

Big Bend is a great place for star gazing. There is minimal light pollution. Staring up at the sky there is mesmerizing.

If you are looking for something a little more challenging try Big Bend Ranch State Park. T

If you have any questions let me know. I would be happy to answer them.

Headed over next weekend. Anything trail that is must do for a stock 4x4 Frontier?

Jon, try and do all you can ;) Old Ore rd and River Road (east and west) for sure. Black Gap is doable alone no problem at all with another vehicle just in case. Just be smart and most roads are fine! You will see others out there so just ask where they have been. They will be glad to tell you if any problem areas from recent rains and such. HAVE FUN!!!

Jon, try and do all you can ;) Old Ore rd and River Road (east and west) for sure. Black Gap is doable alone no problem at all with another vehicle just in case. Just be smart and most roads are fine! You will see others out there so just ask where they have been. They will be glad to tell you if any problem areas from recent rains and such. HAVE FUN!!!

I've done Old Mavick, Old Ore and River Road in my 2WD van no problem during the last 18 months or so, River Road would get dicey after a rain without at least one other person.

I drove the entire length of River Road west to east December 28th with my family and would warn that nearing Smokey Creek where the road crosses the creek bed a couple of times there were a lot of tracks going the wrong way. Unfortunately I contributed to the wrong way tracks before getting out and walking for a bit to verify I was on the wrong path.

East of Talley I would say be weary of the "Jeep Bro" tactical mall crawler crowd bombing down the road much too fast, typically I met them as we came around a low visibility bend or similar. The eastern side is more traveled, less technical (not that any of it really is) and has more washboard.

Be sure to get out and explore Mariscal Mine.

As others have said.....Just do the whole State, you will not be dissappointed.....
Places to stay include City Parks, County Parks, Corps of Engineers, Privately owned and operated campgrounds, Off Road parks (OHV), State Parks, National Parks and National Forests (4). Many of these locations are free...... YES, Texas is majority privately owned, but there is so much to do and see here. I have made and shared routes, but when captured in a picture, it only frustrates the viewer.
Do not cross Texas off the list of places to explore, you just need to adjust and open your mind a little, its beautiful and rewarding. This is coming from a Montana boy!

As others have said.....Just do the whole State, you will not be dissappointed.....
Places to stay include City Parks, County Parks, Corps of Engineers, Privately owned and operated campgrounds, Off Road parks (OHV), State Parks, National Parks and National Forests (4). Many of these locations are free...... YES, Texas is majority privately owned, but there is so much to do and see here. I have made and shared routes, but when captured in a picture, it only frustrates the viewer.
Do not cross Texas off the list of places to explore, you just need to adjust and open your mind a little, its beautiful and rewarding. This is coming from a Montana boy!

Thanks for sharing. Texas is high on my list of “dark places on the map” and there’s certainly quite a bit on the internet about it being sort of a “flyover State” for overlanders.

Your local insight and knowledge is especially appreciated HERE in this forum!

Anyone in San Antonio? I was headhunted by a recruiter off my LinkedIn profile and we are moving to SA. Needless to say I'm really pumped to get into the Hill Country and be closer to Big Bend!

Anyone in San Antonio? I was headhunted by a recruiter off my LinkedIn profile and we are moving to SA. Needless to say I'm really pumped to get into the Hill Country and be closer to Big Bend!
Not in SA but both my adult children and their families are there and they LOVE it. Me , not so much, I don't like big cities... I'm an old fart. You will love it here! If on FaceBook please join Texas Overland you will not be disappointed. If you want specifics give a shout!!!!

Not in SA but both my adult children and their families are there and they LOVE it. Me , not so much, I don't like big cities... I'm an old fart. You will love it here! If on FaceBook please join Texas Overland you will not be disappointed. If you want specifics give a shout!!!!
I'm a member of TO as well! Great group of folks. I'm looking forward to getting to participate in some of their events now that I'll be close to a lot of them.

Lake Tyler state park in Texas

Between Dallas and Shreveport on I-20. Not far from I-20 (10 minutes) with a Pilot truck stop at the interchange. Super convenient if you’re passing through East or West. Hot showers here for the road warriors.

Easy reservations online, I recommend this loop. Red Oak.

8CF690F0-8C9F-4765-ABE4-7874A5F1DAF1.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom